joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there is any model currently just showing 1-3" for NYC so I am not sure where that particular poster got that from. Like I said in a previous post, I still like 12" for the NYC metro and we will see where the 12z runs take us today.

The mainstream forecasts are pushing back the start of the snow till late Saturday afternoon but still ending it early Sunday morning. That's how you start to wind up with 1"-3" forecasts.

It's somewhat bizarre the SREFs want no part of this thing getting squashed off. It's not like we are 87 hours out, they look pretty good at 48/60 when they aren't exactly totally useless

Not to play homer, but it eludes to the point you are making, SREFS all the way up to Newburgh, aka northern Orange County, have gotten way wetter, the mean for Newburgh is 1.17 with a max of 3.8", with only a hand full of members showing 0", it seems that the members either show 1+ this far north, or 0".. There really isn't a middle ground, which could lead me to believe 2 things... They are picking up on the right gradient, and the SREFS are out to lunch on where that sets up, or the globals are not handling the extent of the northern precip shield and the CCB

Yes I went back and edited the post.

Running on like 4-5 hours sleep for three days straight isn't the best :tomato:

I've gone to sleep pretending that I'm not going to look at the newest model data, but somehow wake up a couple hours later and find myself checking it. Damnit!! And I agree, the RGEM does look good up to the end of its run, and is similar to the NAM at that time. Next couple frames are the big ones, so it'll be interesting to see what it does at 12z

My thoughts this AM (worth what you pay for them):

I'm stumped. The strong gradient forecast made some sense - we've seen it in past storms. PDI. 2/2010. And it was fairly consistently depicted over the last 3 days, showing up better in high res models and worse in low res models.

But this new depiction - the fizzle - is really, really weird. It seems to rely on the storm never developing a full CCB. Given anomalously warm SSTs and a strong baroclinic zone, it's not even that the storm occludes (though it does) so much as the lift just never happens up here. That's very odd and not consistent with any storm I can find in the KU book (which I flipped through last night).

So my view now is I am complete baffled. I don't trust the globals' depiction but they're obviously 'seeing' something. Whether that something is a glitch in the model that's being exposed by a really unusual event, or just a really unusual event that's behaving unlike any of our analog storms, remains to be seen.

My gut is still that we get a ton of snow here. But something odd is afoot.

It should be noted that the SREF mean is being inflated (as usual) by the ARW members. The ARW mean is 1.91". The NMB mean is 0.75". 81% of ARW members show 1.50" or more and 36% show 2.00" or more.

The 4-run averages are as follows:

ARW: 1.64"

NMB: 0.68"

A-ha, I was afraid of that.....Don, any idea why these ARW members are even factored into the SREF mean? It seems as though they would be much, much better and more accurate excluding those numbers/models from it. In general, they can usually just be ignored since they're always so much higher

A-ha, I was afraid of that.....Don, any idea why these ARW members are even factored into the SREF mean? It seems as though they would be much, much better and more accurate excluding those numbers/models from it. In general, they can usually just be ignored since they're always so much higher

I'm not sure why that's the case. FWIW, SREF has 11 ARW members and 9 NMB members. If one excludes the 6 most extreme members (5 of which are ARW members), the remaining SREF members saw the mean qpf drop from 1.19" at 3z to 0.94" at 9z.

The heights are about 25-30 miles further Southeast so I would think the main precip shield shifts SE by about that amount from 06z but it's still early.

If you r right , with Nam now in its range, that's not good at all as an indicator. No one run will make or break but we shall C

If you r right , with Nam now in its range, that's not good at all as an indicator. No one run will make or break but we shall C

Isn't that an excellent indicator? It would mean the NAM is still showing heavy snow in NYC, in the range where it's accuracy goes way up.

Archived