• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

I think you certainly have to give the NAM some weight here, the "its the NAM" so ignore idea should be put on the back burner a bit since it is now in its better range. Would I buy it wholeheartedly, no, but some weight should be given to what it is showing. IMO

Yes.... less than 48 hours now.. NOT 72+ anymore!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you certainly have to give the NAM some weight here, the "its the NAM" so ignore idea should be put on the back burner a bit since it is now in its better range. Would I buy it wholeheartedly, no but some weight should be given to what it is showing. IMO

If all the models tend to agree on this view, but the NAM is showing this view, why not discount it? It is certainly feasible to suggest the NAM has biases and corrections that need adjusting. Maybe it doesn't do well on this storm, but will do well on a future storm. 

Craig Allen's afternoon update follows. I can't believe all the people that still hug the NAM. Even he tells why he thinks it's an outlier:

2 days ago, I posted the phrase "we should know more as the storm approaches" and sternly questioned such a statement. It seems to never be true. Once you need to get down to the finer details, it's apparent you almost need to wait til just before the event begins. Pat ourselves on the back for knowing a storm was developing a week ago and those blips of energy in the Pacific have done what maps have foretold...develop a storm. More than that, we are left with many questions in our backyard. It seems to be a given that some part of the mid Atlantic coast is going to get buried, most notably from PHL to BWI to DC to VA. That was pegged. But for us on the fringe, the difference between a couple of inches to sweep away versus using the snowblower for the first time, remains a mystery, 36 hours before the event.

Here's where we stand: First, I think its best we discard the last few runs of the putrid 'nam12k' model. It has fueled hysteria on the internet with it's 25-40 inch snow totals for our area. Crazy numbers like that may happen to our south but there is no atmospheric support for its output up here. It's own better-gridded and smarter sibling 'nam4k' is even in total disagreement with it.

The gfs and it's ensembles, gem and it's ensembles and euro have all trended south with the low and a stronger push of colder, drier air from the north. That has been key all along. I entioned it here in previous posts and many colleague and I have been chatting amongst ourselves about the sharp northern cutoff of significant snow. The models are now picking up on this. Indeed, I just this second looked at the new nam12k afternoon run and it seems to be waking up and is falling in line with the others.

What I may do on CBS New York wcbs/880 thios afternoon is keep the snow totals but re-define the area -or- I just might very well lower them by about a third.
Northern suburbs may be able to simply go about their business with just some extra caution for a couple inches of snow. NYC and vicinity is still likely to need to call out the plows.
The most impactful snowfall, measure in feet will be from TTN to PHL-BWI-DC and VA.

Can we still toss around the B-word? Absolutely because blizzard has nothing to do with amount of snow. It refers to prolonged white out conditions which still may come true even with just moderate snow falling, but driven by 40-50 knot winds.

And as for tidal flooding, the slightly more south & east course of the storm could help in lowering the storm surge a little. It's likely to still be 2 to 3 feet above normal rather than 4 to 5 for the Sound and south shore waters but the Jersey shore, especially from the Sandy Hook on south could achieve the highest surge.
Coastal inundation is still likely in typical flood-prone communities.

Dude, it's over for big amounts. 4-8" NYC would be my call and has been since yesterday with more to the south and less to the north and west.

With all due respect, you have two professional Mets (at least) on here who are saying otherwise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Okay? That doesnt mean that they can't change.

Anthony your only hope is the UKMET and the GFS/GEFS .  You should have yours eyes gouged out for looking at the NAM .

Watch the Euro tonight at 42 , if jumps the low out again odds are its not CF

I am not saying the UKIE or the GEFS can`t verify but the NAM is a POS. 

IGNORE IT. 

Archived