• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
1/17/16 Winter Weather Threat

packfan98

Definitely moved north for 0z. Light precip over much of the western half of NC. Big stripe of nothing in a line from Columbia to Norfolk. Surface temps are kinda torchy. Mid to upper 40's later in the day for much of NC.

I don't expect much accumulation in the upstate, but I think confidence is high enough to say we will see some snow showers across the area sun morning.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't expect much accumulation in the upstate, but I think confidence is high enough to say we will see some snow showers across the area sun morning.

Trends would indicate that upstate may see some flake-age come Sunday morning. The timing of the light precip lines up with the coldest part of the day (early morning) Sunday for those looking for some mood flakes in upstate SC and western half of NC.

03z SREF Plumes look better. GSO is up to nearly a half inch with one crazy plume spitting out over 6". Considering they showed no snow a 12 hours ago, that's a change.

Well if we are following the SREF snow now.... "ARP2" shows 0.10 inch of snow even in Columbia, SC!  So throw that member out.

Wow...can honestly say I'm surprised with the N trend in the GFS but even more surprised at the Euro, especially the EPS.

Here are the low locations for 12z vs 0z runs

12z

Ss29Co1.png

New 00z run

rpkaKvL.png

Lots of stronger ens members on the NW side of the mean low location, so we may see a north trend continue with the 12z suite. Big changes should happen with today's runs if they are to occur. Seeing the Euro ensemble mean change that drastically in one run inside 72 hours is telling.

RAH still not impressed..  mentions all rain.  or perhaps a rain/snow mix with little accumulation

A mixed rain/snow event (or even just rain) is very possible especially if rates are low. RAH will highlight this scenario until they're sure rates will be heavier; which could be right up to the event. I would do that if I was them.

A mixed rain/snow event (or even just rain) is very possible especially if rates are low. RAH will highlight this scenario until they're sure rates will be heavier; which could be right up to the event. I would do that if I was them.

Yeah the systems should be sampled by this evening and if the models continue with something similar to the Euro track and or wetter then I expect the NWS to get a bit more aggressive.....they added a 20% chance of showers here late Sat into Sun morning but that seems to early looking at the models.....

great look on the euro last night...and i agree w/ jon.  seeing the eps have several members right on the fl coast and amped leads me to believe this could very well be a boom run @12z.  no coincidence that the nw trend started as the sampling of the sw improved.  today's 12z runs should have the sw properly sampled and we should get a good idea on the strength and track.   

GSP is calling this a NON-EVENT and more of a conversation piece..? LOL

rdu disco says the same.  their past 2 afds have had some snark, i love it.

"COULD SEE A BRIEF PERIOD OF LIGHT RAIN AND POSSIBLY EVEN

LIGHT RAIN OR SNOW ACROSS THE FAR NW PIEDMONT WHERE MODELS SHOW

SURFACE WET-BULBS AROUND FREEZING. AT THIS TIME PRECIP AMOUNTS ARE

TOO LIGHT AND TEMPERATURE PROFILES ARE MARGINALLY COLD ENOUGH TO

SUPPORT MUCH MORE THAN A "GEE WHIZ" SIGHTING OF SNOW."

Can you blame them? I mean let's face it folks we have border line temps and models are spitting out at most like .25 qpf and that's probably more in the way of snow showers than a straight snow. That would be pretty much a non event. We have the luxury of dreaming and making wild guesses of where we want things to go. They don't.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Can you blame them? I mean let's face it folks we have border line temps and models are spitting out at most like .25 qpf and that's probably more in the way of snow showers than a straight snow. That would be pretty much a non event. We have the luxury of dreaming and making wild guesses of where we want things to go. They don't.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

agree.  and thee 6z gefs members are scattered.  some with a low cranking right on the fl panhandle while others suppressed and dry.  so much uncertainty.  

Wonder what they will say when 12z euro has a 990 cranking out big fatties all across nc and sc at 12z

It's gonna suck to reel this back in, and the big fatties are raindrops! Temps will be a big issue, we might be saved if precip arrives around daybreak, but if it got to RDU in the afternoon, snow chances would be toast! My forecast high is 60 Saturday, so ground temps will be be an issue!

Archived