• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 BANTER

Isopycnic

I want to go to NC or VA so bad but I'm afraid I'm going to end up going somewhere in the western half of TN. I have to work Sunday afternoon and I'm afraid the further east I go the more likely it will be that road conditions make it hard for me to get home, partly because the system will linger well into Saturday probably and in western Tennessee the sun will likely come out on sat which may possibly help road conditions.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both are going to get slammed.  This storm looks to be a bit more historic for Richmond, though (this will be their biggest snowfall in decades).

So here's my pro/con list that has been ongoing for 2 days

Boone- Safer bet for significant snow, potential for orographic enhancement, more hills, friend that I'm staying with owes me wings and we'd completely splurge on wings before the storm (that's my kind of weekend), friend also works at sugar mountain so he'd be able to hook me up with lift tickets Saturday. Should be epic skiing.

Richmond- Higher ceiling in my opinion (more likely to get intense banding on Saturday), easy escape route (my friend lives 2 blocks from i95), I can leave for Richmond on Friday morning instead of Thursday night, a snow that starts midday and just intensifies as night goes on is my ideal snow set-up, and most of all, the thought of walking through a major metropolitan area completely deserted with a foot of snow on the round is completely intoxicating to me. However, Richmond is WAY riskier in my opinion as far as accumulation is concerned.

LOL....

Nathan York Thanks for the update, if I have a flight at 730 Friday night do you think I'll be able to take off?

Like · Reply · 6 mins
12400563_971469002900358_419176398859785

Wxrisk.comnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Like · Reply · 6 · 6 mins
936552_10153172572736059_563653061815718

Nathan York Didn't think so, thanks for the update bud

Like · Reply · 1 · 5 mins
12063833_171108323227515_600291555233750

Fairouz Bane Best answer ever. Lmao.

So here's my pro/con list that has been ongoing for 2 days

Boone- Safer bet for significant snow, potential for orographic enhancement, more hills, friend that I'm staying with owes me wings and we'd completely splurge on wings before the storm (that's my kind of weekend), friend also works at sugar mountain so he'd be able to hook me up with lift tickets Saturday. Should be epic skiing.

Richmond- Higher ceiling in my opinion (more likely to get intense banding on Saturday), easy escape route (my friend lives 2 blocks from i95), I can leave for Richmond on Friday morning instead of Thursday night, a snow that starts midday and just intensifies as night goes on is my ideal snow set-up, and most of all, the thought of walking through a major metropolitan area completely deserted with a foot of snow on the round is completely intoxicating to me. However, Richmond is WAY riskier in my opinion as far as accumulation is concerned.

I'd wait until tomorrow afternoon to decide.  I think Richmond would be best if things hold as they are (the Euro destroys them).  However, leaving Friday morning might be iffy.  On the Euro, the snow moves in to the Raleigh area-northward around sunrise.  You'd have to leave really early if you wanted to stay out of the snow.

I'm just going to drop this little gem here for kicks and giggles:

post_offline.pngjshetley

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:12 AM

We will not see snow anywhere outside of the mountains in SC this winter. No ice or sleet either. This winter will actually be worse than 2012 for winter weather lovers from Tenn and NC and south.

*drops mic. walks away. *

post_offline.pngjshetley

We will not see snow anywhere outside of the mountains in SC this winter. No ice or sleet either. This winter will actually be worse than 2012 for winter weather lovers from Tenn and NC and south.

If we can keep getting storms like this he can post all the BS he wants!

I'd wait until tomorrow afternoon to decide.  I think Richmond would be best if things hold as they are (the Euro destroys them).  However, leaving Friday morning might be iffy.  On the Euro, the snow moves in to the Raliegh area-northward around sunrise.

I texted both parties I'd let them know by 1:30, I'd like to see one last euro run before I make a decision. 

Wow, did not connect that Friday morning would probably be bad.. whoops

post_offline.pngjshetley

He's our good luck charm.  He said the same thing last year right before we had multiple winter storms in late February.  Hope he keeps it up!  :clap:

I texted both parties I'd let them know by 1:30, I'd like to see one last euro run before I make a decision. 

Precip moves into the Raleigh area by 12z on Friday.  I think it would be really cool to walk around downtown with 20"+ on the ground. That would be awesome.

It seems like we often see WAA precip arriving earlier than forecasted, too.

Elizabeth Gardner on Wral seems more "optimistic" about our up to 4in of snow/sleet (as much as 83% on the probability map) and up to 50% that we will see .25in or more icing. No mention of plain rain so far this morning and it wasn't on the futurecast-like probability map she showed. Doesn't mean she won't later. I still remember Fishel saying he's not locked into it going to rain yet. Allan and Jon touched on why I believe. Maybe if it does in some areas it won't be much.

post_offline.pngjshetley

Lol! Thanks for posting this! His repeat of winter 11/12, is looking great!! :)

Looking like a sleetfest for the Upstate :cry:

Easily my least favorite kind of frozen precip.

It's alot better going into a storm and expecting only sleet and zr, and get bonus snow, than going into the storm and expecting heavy snow and only get sleet! 2-3 inches of sleet (3:1) ratios and an inch or two of snow on top = amazeballs !

It's alot better going into a storm and expecting only sleet and zr, and get bonus snow, than going into the storm and expecting heavy snow and only get sleet! 2-3 inches of sleet (3:1) ratios and an inch or two of snow on top = amazeballs !

That's the all too painful truth we got to experience last Feb.

Really not understanding what the weather offices in Peachtree City are looking at/waiting on for at least the NE suburbs of Atl. This is right on the brink of a big time ice storm on multiple runs of multiple models.

Because around here "right on the brink" means 9 times out of 10 nothing is going to happen.  This is why our mets almost always side on the least qpf possible because we do end up getting less than any of the models show (that Feb storm was forecasted for my county getting 6" last year, we got less than 2" imby, pretty typical low side bust) or it totally busts and we get nothing.  Plus it's a Friday night, not a weeknight, so they can wait until the last minute as they won't have to worry about commuters and school buses.

LOL....

Nathan York Thanks for the update, if I have a flight at 730 Friday night do you think I'll be able to take off?

Like · Reply · 6 mins
12400563_971469002900358_419176398859785

Wxrisk.comnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Like · Reply · 6 · 6 mins
936552_10153172572736059_563653061815718

Nathan York Didn't think so, thanks for the update bud

Like · Reply · 1 · 5 mins
12063833_171108323227515_600291555233750

Fairouz Bane Best answer ever. Lmao.

DT forgot some sort of a misspelled insult. He's silppnig!

Mr Bust has a lot of folks set up now! Word of advice for upstate folks and NE Ga. Don't buy into big snow amounts getting thrown around. When gsp pulls the trigger buy in cautiously then. I'm glad we are in the game and ne ga but too many times in the last 10 years...almost every time to be exact when things ramped up near the start I bought in. And maybe twice....I say maybe did it perform up to expectations. NC is a whole different game. Hope Frosty and Strong get thumped and believe they will along with franklin and others in surrounding areas.

I've seen these deals get eat up by the warm nose over and over or the high wasn't strong enough to overcome low level heat. Just proceed with caution fellow snow lovers.

Yeah, if you are chasing you need to get out in front of it. We are leaving tonight. We have a 6 hour ride through the mountains best case. I don't want to do that in the snow even with a chainsaw and the beast

Yeah, if you are chasing you need to get out in front of it. We are leaving tonight. We have a 6 hour ride through the mountains best case. I don't want to do that in the snow even with a chainsaw and the beast

Half day at work, I will be at your place around 530 to assist with any hardening of the homestead. Euro absolutely pummels VA.

Yes. You, Burel ,upstate CAD and others in that area can speak from experience. All depends not he transfer. However, back end 700 level continues to look good all around. 

Mr Bust has a lot of folks set up now! Word of advice for upstate folks and NE Ga. Don't buy into big snow amounts getting thrown around. When gsp pulls the trigger buy in cautiously then. I'm glad we are in the game and ne ga but too many times in the last 10 years...almost every time to be exact when things ramped up near the start I bought in. And maybe twice....I say maybe did it perform up to expectations. NC is a whole different game. Hope Frosty and Strong get thumped and believe they will along with franklin and others in surrounding areas.
I've seen these deals get eat up by the warm nose over and over or the high wasn't strong enough to overcome low level heat. Just proceed with caution fellow snow lovers.

do you expect significant ice accretions in parts of the Upstate?

Yeah, if you are chasing you need to get out in front of it. We are leaving tonight. We have a 6 hour ride through the mountains best case. I don't want to do that in the snow even with a chainsaw and the beast

what is the beast? I had to pull a lady out of the ditch with mine yesterday.

Archived