joxey
January 2016 BANTER

Isopycnic

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is it predicted to do to this storm

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

You're new.  I get it.  I used to be new to and horrible at all of this.  In fact, I consider myself horrible for the most part on here.  Anyways...

When you read information about other areas of the Southeast on here, try to learn from it.  What I mean is to actually look at pictures and data they show and explain and try to see what they are talking about.  It will teach you what to look for in your area!

If you don't know what a weather term like "thickness" is, try to google it.  If you just can't find the right answer, ask in these banter threads about it.  People will be nice and help.  BTW, do not google "thickness".. you might get some adult websites showing up.. lol  google something like "weather thickness precipitation".

Tons of people ask questions that are specific to their back yards.  In fact, it is asked so much on these weather forums that we kind of skip over it or even get annoyed by it.

You're on a weather forum, not a site with thousands of personal forecasters for you.  We all (over-time) put effort forth to learn and try to help others out like I am trying to now with you.

If I sound harsh, I apologize.  You can learn a lot here if you're willing to.

Things look on track from what I can tell.  RDU was generally always thought to changeover to rain at some point, so I don't see what has changed there.

If anything, tonight has increased the scope of this storm with ice becoming a real possibility in NW SC and NE GA.

And, honestly, we'll see if RDU actually changes over to rain.  CAD can hold on longer than expected and surface cold is hard to erode.

Give him or her credit, at least they found the right thread to ask that question

Damn...you do have a point.

Still whenever a storm comes along we have to deal with about a thousand of those and it really gets annoying when the answer is usually found within 10 minutes at most.

WRAL's 11:00 was a weird one. Basically said "no snow, just a day of freezing rain and sleet" as if that's just as normal as an afternoon thunderstorm in summer. I mean I don't necessarily disagree with the forecast, but you'd think that a day long freezing rain event might warrant at least a little more intensity than they gave it.

Shrug.

I think Fishel is tired. He was just trying to wrap up the 11:00 arms go home for the night. He covered a lot during the 5/6pm coverage. He wants to get away until he has too. He did said he doesn't buy the change over to rain yet. Interesting for him. He expressed that the ice is serious.

Things look on track from what I can tell.  RDU was generally always thought to changeover to rain at some point, so I don't see what has changed there.

If anything, tonight has increased the scope of this storm with ice becoming a real possibility in NW SC and NE GA.

And, honestly, we'll see if RDU actually changes over to rain.  CAD can hold on longer than expected and surface cold is hard to erode.

I'm hoping for the change over to rain at this point.  I'm not a fan of zr to begin with and definitely not a fan of .5 or more of it.

995 SLP right over the Pamlico Sound are damn efficient are eroding CAD, I think CAD hold on longer during weaker over running type events but they actually give it up faster when dealing with SLP close to or onshore. Its been my experience that the onset frozen never last as long as forecast/modeled in these scenarios......

995 SLP right over the Pamlico Sound are damn efficient are eroding CAD, I think CAD hold on longer during weaker over running type events but they actually give it up faster when dealing with SLP close to or onshore. Its been my experience that the onset frozen never last as long as forecast/modeled in these scenarios......

I guess my question would be if the cold air damming forces the LP to more of an offshore track?

Ok, do I chase this storm in Boone or Richmond? It's limited to those cities because I can stay with friends who go to VCU and app. I'm completely torn.

I'd go Boone simply because of the elevation, you'll see an entirely different storm at 3300ft. Can't go wrong with either, though.

Actually? Richmond. Chase the thunder snow, screw elevation.

Ok, do I chase this storm in Boone or Richmond? It's limited to those cities because I can stay with friends who go to VCU and app. I'm completely torn.

I'd go with Richmond.  IMO, a safer bet (something screwy can always happen with the low track that would screw the mountains on qpf)

Archived