EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Late December miracle early next week!?

ineedsnow

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the GFS is going to go down with the ship...it blasts ORH-BOS northward in SNE with warning criteria snow. Still snow at 12z in both spots....this is an 18 hour forecast. :lol:

18z gfs and 18z nam are worlds apart

They're both probably wrong because they both stink. Take the middle road.

LOL.

Does anyone have soundings to show what the GFS has for when the pingers move into GC?  

22.6/7

Will there be a fair bit of virga given the low dewpoints?  If nothing else, I supposed that could further cool the column and maybe delay the changeover.

For sure there will be. It's often why precip comes in like wall in there events, because they are preceded by cold and more importantly dry high pressure.

Once the column is saturated enough to get snowflakes to the surface, omega is already strong enough to bring moderate snow.

I'm sorry every guidance type I have seen absolutely IS too warm in the lower critical thickness depth ... i.e., < 1300 m

I think the GFS is wrong  to hold out snow that long.  Best approach ...check ALY soundings and compare the periods with GFS sigmas... I'm currently trying to find the 18z soundes on the web.

This is a steep polar wall, though ...and as mid level flow strengthens N of the elevated frontal slope, up glide will be rather upright ... penetrating the dendrite region of the sounding rather proficiently along a band from West of ALB to about BOS, and pretty proficiently

For a time, but ...I think the Euro/NAM blend here is probably more accurate with what happens thereafter ...aloft. Not necessarily at the surface, where I feel very confident in warning criteria ice over the eastern slopes of the Berks and down rt 2 is plausible even after 2-4" burst of snow affects those regions.    I think the new watch converts to warning and probably needs to come down Rt 2 a ways at that. 

For sure there will be. It's often why precip comes in like wall in there events, because they are preceded by cold and more importantly dry high pressure.

Once the column is saturated enough to get snowflakes to the surface, omega is already strong enough to bring moderate snow.

Thanks for the info.

No way we are anywhere near 8-14" in the Greens with this, haha.

That looks ridiculous overall in here and N.NH.

Those are forkys clown maps of choice, I think it includes upslope as its hitting those higher peaks on Katahdin and Mt Washington, Which I see he disappeared lol

Sent from my iPhone

18z RGEM precipitation types break down...

attachicon.gifRGEM1.png

And associated snow map that lines up with the p-type QPF spread...as far as weenie maps go, at least the RGEM one lines up with its forecast QPF amounts at various precipitation types.

attachicon.gifRGEM2.png

Weenie maps that are from models that explicitly forecast ptype tend to be better, because the vendor could provide a ratio to each ptype to generate the map (10:1 for snow, 3:1 sleet, etc). Whatever they did at WeatherBell with the Euro is worlds better though.

Weenie maps that are from models that explicitly forecast ptype tend to be better, because the vendor could provide a ratio to each ptype to generate the map (10:1 for snow, 3:1 sleet, etc). Whatever they did at WeatherBell with the Euro is worlds better though.

Do you know when they updated it? I just ask because it's been fine this season so far IMO.

By far the worst offenders on WxBell are the GFSand NAM...which sucks because that's our own national models. We should be able to nail it down closer than just taking all frozen or freezing precip and turn it into snow accums. Like on the WxBell NAM maps, the p-type is all IP on the p-type product, but then you look at the snow product and it just converted all that IP into 10:1 ratio snow. It shouldn't be that hard to code that to only accumulate snow when then p-type algorithm shows snow, not IP or ZR.

Do you know when they updated it? I just ask because it's been fine this season so far IMO.

By far the worst offenders on WxBell are the GFSand NAM...which sucks because that's our own national models. We should be able to nail it down closer than just taking all frozen or freezing precip and turn it into snow accums. Like on the WxBell NAM maps, the p-type is all IP on the p-type product, but then you look at the snow product and it just converted all that IP into 10:1 ratio snow. It shouldn't be that hard to code that to only accumulate snow when then p-type algorithm shows snow, not IP or ZR.

Not sure, just saw that Ryan mentioned it today.

It's really WeatherBell's problem, since they make the snow maps based on other fields. And even if NCEP did output snowfall as a field, I wouldn't really trust that either.

Spot on guess #'s

1-3" BOS actual guess 2"

2-4" BED actual 3"

3-5" LWM actual 4"

1-3" HFD actual 2"

1-3" CEF actual 3"

t-2" HVN actual 1"

3-5" Keene, NH actual 5"

3-5" Dendrite actual 5"

3-5" PSM actual 4"

1-3" PVD actual 2"

2-4" HubbDave/Tip actual 4"

1-3" Scott/CoastalWx actual 2"

t-2" Bob/Taunton actual 2"

1-3" Kev/Tolland actual 1"

3-6" PWM actual 4"

1-3" BOS

2-4" BED

3-5" LWM

1-3" HFD

1-3" CEF

t-2" HVN

3-5" Keene, NH

3-5" Dendrite

3-5" PSM

1-3" PVD

2-4" HubbDave/Tip

1-3" Scott/CoastalWx

t-2" Bob/Taunton

1-3" Kev/Tolland

3-6" PWM

Of course, the weenie in me is hoping for GFS snows.  In reality, this looks reasonable.  The one adjustment I'd make is to bump up Dendrite a tick or two.  

Archived