Newest Member
    EWR757
Late December miracle early next week!?

ineedsnow

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro is in the gfs camp.

Looks somewhat warmer aloft...not as warm as the NAM or GEM, but definitely warmer than GFS. Kind of a compromise.

Euro would be pellets for pike region prior to 12z while GFS actually is still snowing at 12z for BOS-ORH.

HRRR would be about 2-3" at Boston. Seems bullish. Tough forecast. It all depends if we can get a formidable initial band that does not move out or become fragmented.

Yeah real tough forecast...nowcast if there ever was one.

For most places north of I-90 or RT2 there's a wide range of possibilities...from 1-2" then sleet, to a 4-6" thump.

Even up here, 3" then sleet wouldn't surprise me, but nor would 7" of snow and then sleet.

When precip is falling at 0.1-0.15" per hour (that's what HRRR was showing) along the mix line, an extra hour of snow an be another 1-2". That's a tough call to make when being off by even 2 hours can bust big one way or another.

Yeah real tough forecast...nowcast if there ever was one.

For most places north of I-90 or RT2 there's a wide range of possibilities...from 1-2" then sleet, to a 4-6" thump.

Even up here, 3" then sleet wouldn't surprise me, but nor would 7" of snow and then sleet.

When precip is falling at 0.1-0.15" per hour (that's what HRRR was showing) along the mix line, an extra hour of snow an be another 1-2". That's a tough call to make when being off by even 2 hours can bust big one way or another.

I could see both sides. Initial high pressure provides a great frontogenic slope for uplift and precip. However, better dynamics are also west and north and don't move east until after dawn. Then there is the warm tongue. I can't see the euro specifics, but the GFS really cranks after 10-11z it appears and there is just enough cold. You can see strong convergence of the 850 LLJ over the coastline of SNE indicating strong lift and frontogenesis near 12z. My guess us euro is not as strong with that, and further N with it.

We may get an early oes bonus.

I've been wondering this too...early on around 06z, the LLs look too dry, but there could be some OES along the E coast of MA between 06z-09z or enhancement if the synoptic stuff has started by then. We have frigid temps near -10C at 900mb out of the east over the still warm ocean. So there could be some ice crystal production. I don't think the OES would last very long, but there could be a couple hours.

The 1/24 storm got pellets near Hubby and Ray I think, but this is much different. Strong 850-700 frontogenesis moves in after 9z, but the problem is that we may see this develop a little too late for even NE MA. I'd rather be up near Haverhill. 

My GF lives in Bradford. Will be her Dog's first snow. I know where I'll be!!! 

I'm about as emotionally invested in this storm as I am in the NY Giants making the playoffs. In other words, 0%.

I've never like the looks of this from the get go as far as a warning criteria snow is concerned for the Mass Pike to Route 2 corridor. Too much WAA aloft and shallow cold. 

This will probably be 1-2" of front end snow if we're lucky for this region and then a pelt fest. I wonder if there will still be paint on the house or asphalt on the roof shingles by tomorrow. Given SWFE climo and the fact the best lift holds off a bit, WAA aloft will likely takeover before best omega gets in here, yielding lots of ice pellets.

Well, at least it will put something on the ground and provide a good base for a snow pack if we should get more down the road. 

Cold trend may not be done. With a high that strong , in that position.. House money says it's not done trending

I'm glad I never invested in this event. Hopefully the icing occurs. I suspect folks in the I-90 corridor are going to be disappointed tomorrow..but maybe and hopefully  it'll over perform for them 

Yes, thank god.

I'm about as emotionally invested in this storm as I am in the NY Giants making the playoffs. In other words, 0%.

I've never like the looks of this from the get go as far as a warning criteria snow is concerned for the Mass Pike to Route 2 corridor. Too much WAA aloft and shallow cold.

This will probably be 1-2" of front end snow if we're lucky for this region and then a pelt fest. I wonder if there will still be paint on the house or asphalt on the roof shingles by tomorrow. Given SWFE climo and the fact the best lift holds off a bit, WAA aloft will likely takeover before best omega gets in here, yielding lots of ice pellets.

Well, at least it will put something on the ground and provide a good base for a snow pack if we should get more down the road.

Was thinking the same thing...about the sleet that is, may want to cover the car up to keep the paint on, though I think I will transition to rain earlier than you.I actually thought we would get a better thumping, but as we got closer, that thought faded into sleet

18z NAM continues to be ridiculously warm aloft.

By 12z most of us are over to sleet.  Up here it would be about 4" followed by scalping verbatim. 

attachicon.gifnam_ptype_slp_ne_7.png

At 800mb, the NAM is +6C at ORH at 12z tomorrow while the GFS is -2C. :lol:

What's 8C difference amongst friends less than 24 hours out?

I think both are probably wrong, but it's amazing to see that much difference in two models.

18z NAM continues to be ridiculously warm aloft.

By 12z most of us are over to sleet.  Up here it would be about 4" followed by scalping verbatim. 

attachicon.gifnam_ptype_slp_ne_7.png

You can infer the mixing line from the HRRR reflectivity product. Pretty much SLK through CON by 12z tomorrow. I actually don't have a real issue with that depiction.

post-44-0-21231400-1451334065_thumb.png

At 800mb, the NAM is +6C at ORH at 12z tomorrow while the GFS is -2C. :lol:

What's 8C difference amongst friends less than 24 hours out?

I think both are probably wrong, but it's amazing to see that much difference in two models.

It is amazing.  GFS would be snowing for you at 12z while the NAM is sleeting all the way up here at the same time.

Archived