joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH Valley/Great Lakes low screwing it up like the GFS and Euro ops? 

yeah to some degree. pretty weak reflection there and offshore.. waiting to see the indiv low locations. actually, the pattern might be better after too. looks like perhaps a second shot right on the heels of that one based on anom locations and the look out west gets better with time after as well. not sure we'd score while the -NAO is peaking anyway.

A very strong -AO/-NAO seems to have always performed for mid-atlantic in a Moderate/Strong Nino.  If we get the blocking that is forecast, I dont' imagine this nino will be any different.

Not in '97/'98 it didn't (unless that Nino didn't have blocking) - a winter that featured a succession of east coast storms that brought rain.

Was a really good run of the EPS imo.. one of the best I've seen. If it's right that 16-18 is the opening of a longer window. The evolution looks quite ideal into the end.... even get that ridge axis from the SW to the polar region. Think we need to see -NAO flex and then go from there.

unuIFGI.gif

A very strong -AO/-NAO seems to have always performed for mid-atlantic in a Moderate/Strong Nino.  If we get the blocking that is forecast, I dont' imagine this nino will be any different.

Exactly what I was thinking! There's almost always an anomaly somewhere, but I agree with what you're saying.

eta: (God I've been doing this a lot) Early 1998 appears to have been a transitional rise with the NAO opposite to what models are showing. Better yet, maybe the AO was the culprit! http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/month_ao_index.shtml

That's the timing we need that Psu mentioned earlier.

We need to catch that southern stream s/w when the northern stream lulls and gets out of the way.  Apparently 18z did that.  12z Euro and GFS were not that far from something special like this, just had too much northern stream. 

excitement for 6 hours enjoy it

It has been a terrible winter so far, we've had 0 threats to be excited about. Let us enjoy it. The 12z EURO had a very similar setup, it just moved the 50/50 low westward towards the end (which doesn't make sense with a W based block)...The 18z GFS shows you what can happen when you lock in a 50/50 like that.

Honestly, the setup for this event on the GFS starts Day 6 when the energy crashes into the West Coast and the 50/50 ULL begins to form. 

IMO this is the first legit LR threat we've had all season. 

We need to catch that southern stream s/w when the northern stream lulls and gets out of the way.  Apparently 18z did that.  12z Euro and GFS were not that far from something special like this, just had too much northern stream. 

Yep.  the 18Z actually is faster withe the northern stream initially but also has more negative heights near Nova Scotia.  That's a positive.  today's 18Z GFS pretty much shows why you can't say anything definitive about snow 10 days out no matter what the models say.   It now shows snow at least for the western suburbs for Jan 17th and if you look at the anomalies has more of a negative anomaly near Nova Scotia than the earlier runs.  That doesn't mean we get snow,  it only means that at that time range,  we still don't know enough about all the players to make a call.  Based on the storm track, I still think we have a hard road to hoe but not an impossible one. The mddels often have problems handling the northern stream. 

Archived