CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EPS took a nice step in general from 0z. Decidedly cooler d11-15 and quite the -AO/NAO. Even "redder" earlier on than 0z. lol

D7 thing doesn't show up at all. D10-12 has weak support. 

The only odd thing I saw on the run was a stronger ridge signal into SoCal late in the run. Nice trough axis in general though. We survive another day. 

post-2035-0-43804500-1452113238_thumb.jp

Luckily, the suppression that year wasn't that bad anyone living below NYC. Now the suppression in March 2015(I think it was 2015 may have been 2014) that is a different story.

March 2014 was pretty miserable north of the Mason Dixon line.... but it was a great month for much of this forum, especially the DC crowd. My understanding is that the PV itself bore down directly on this area and caused two good storms to be suppressed.... but that winter had little if any blocking in the NAO/AO realm.

EPS took a nice step in general from 0z. Decidedly cooler d11-15 and quite the -AO/NAO. Even "redder" earlier on than 0z. lol

D7 thing doesn't show up at all. D10-12 has weak support. 

The only odd thing I saw on the run was a stronger ridge signal into SoCal late in the run. Nice trough axis in general though. We survive another day. 

attachicon.gifEPS360.JPG

NAO looks great, but is the lack of low heights near NF or Nova Scotia anything to be concerned about?

Just memorize this map. It's not just the blocking placement we look for. The low height anomaly (large blue/purple area) east of Nova Scotia is equally important. That's also blocks flow and keeps the storm track up the east coast. The low height anomaly in the Gulf of Alaska is also very important. You don't want that invading western Canada. 

A -NAO is only a piece of the puzzle and we can get storms many different ways even without one. However, the big storms require all the pieces or a good solid dose of luck. There is no better representation for what to look for for big mid atlantic east coast storm than this plot right here:

attachicon.gifperfecto.JPG

That block was crazy. We can do well with considerably less. The difference between the two biggest of 09/10 for DC/Balt (not including Feb 9-10) against the other top 10s pretty intense:

kMxeA54.gif

Nor sure it means anything with a small sample (10 storms total, half Nino) but the Nino big events seem to favor more eastward blocking compared to others. Difference Nino vs non-nino:

Rxpr0K3.gif

NAO looks great, but is the lack of low heights near NF or Nova Scotia anything to be concerned about?

Considering I was just becoming seriously concerned about trough west/ridge east I would marry that map if I was single. 

D10-15 850's are below normal throughout as well. 12z has been kind. Even though we can't buy a half inch of slush. 

Would be quite ironic if we go through this entire stretch of "good to great pattern" without any measurable snow. Meanwhile, we bootlegged our way to above normal snowfall totals in '13 and '14 with much, much less.

Sometimes we have those winters where it just wants to snow no matter what. I still think the mid Atlantic and NE see a solid second half. The blocking is very robust on the data.

It's weird again. The MSLP + low placement map shows a killer cluster of lows. You would look at that and think "it gon snowx". But then you look at the members and are like "it gon rayne"

Feels like maybe this cold shot and the next should help our chances of snow - and the models "seeing" snow, maybe. Last three days are the first time this year we've had legit cold in place.

Would be quite ironic if we go through this entire stretch of "good to great pattern" without any measurable snow. Meanwhile, we bootlegged our way to above normal snowfall totals in '13 and '14 with much, much less.

we had plenty of cold air the last 2 years.  i'm in the group of people who thinks getting cold here (like, snow cold) is more difficult than moisture.

Quite a few great winters that had mod or strong ninos and strong -AO/NAO combination.  Seems the nino winters that sucked were the ones where there wasn't any real -AO/NAO.  So this is a fantastic sign in my humble opinion.  I don't believe we've ever experienced a winter with a very strong nino in combination with a very negative -AO/NAO though, so we are really breaking ground in that regard.  It will be the battle of the titans.

we had plenty of cold air the last 2 years.  i'm in the group of people who thinks getting cold here (like, snow cold) is more difficult than moisture.

If we do enter a period of sustained blocking (and it's looking more likely every day) and avoid the Pac from destroying everything (looking more likely so far today after a brief scare) then you would have to think it's just going to happen by default this month. How, when, and where will be figured out when something is in a reasonable time frame and not fantasy. 

Right now d7-15 seems like a period where at least "it can snow" at some point. Could easily last much longer with ups and downs along the way. 

If we do enter a period of sustained blocking (and it's looking more likely every day) and avoid the Pac from destroying everything (looking more likely so far today after a brief scare) then you would have to think it's just going to happen by default this month. How, when, and where will be figured out when something is in a reasonable time frame and not fantasy. 

Right now d7-15 seems like a period where at least "it can snow" at some point. Could easily last much longer with ups and downs along the way. 

and i definitely think the "it can snow" is harder to get here, so that's a real good sign.  i don't remember too many cold winters (or cold during our wheelhouse) where we don't do at least "ok" in the snow department.  the times we don't do ok seem to be when we're too warm (obviously) or we're stuck in that warm/wet, cold/dry pattern (which is kinda how things are so far, but luckily we have 2 months to reshuffle the deck), and like others have said, it seems like we usually need the pattern to stabilize a bit before we start tallying snow.

As the Chill man noted yesterday. The D+11 cpc superensemble analogs really are weighted heavily towards 1998 and 1983. 6 of the 10 come from those two years and 4 come from 1998. Not sure it means much except that the pattern is evolving towards one similar to the strong nino years. If so, cold air might be hard to hold in.

Agree but at least Feb 11th 1983 was a fun 24hr ride!!

Chill_analogues.png

we had plenty of cold air the last 2 years. i'm in the group of people who thinks getting cold here (like, snow cold) is more difficult than moisture.

Disagree 100%.

Even in a winter with a mega torch like Dec was, when it's over we will have had plenty of days that are cold enough. Get the precip....get that stj raging if you want snow chances.

Look how the heights north of the Great Lakes keeps changing. This thing will probably end up in Chicago before it's over.

Yeah its crazy how the models have no clue whats going on in Canada this year. all over the place. but the vort is still there just need some digging and the vort to be faster. GFS has changed again after the 13th. speeding energy up that was left in the pac NW previous runs now into the SE . looks like 2 pieces of energy lined up at 225 that were not there before

It's weird again. The MSLP + low placement map shows a killer cluster of lows. You would look at that and think "it gon snowx". But then you look at the members and are like "it gon rayne"

Yeah thats what concerns me. None of them dare mix the precip with cold temps.  But there are a lot of snowstorms that didn't show up on any ensemble or model until 72hrs out.

Archived