joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last two winters had a massive -EPO. Good luck getting that when there's a huge vortex over the Gulf of Alaska, which is typical in a strong El Niño.

Now you are changing what has been said.

Nobody is speculating on the what might happen in the Pacific.  Yeah, the EPO probably isn't going to help.

The discussion was about the importance of the Pacific.  Let's look at facts.  Last 3 winters = pretty good with no Atlantic help.

2011-12 = awful winter with Atlantic help (I think that was the year).  Right now = nothing with Atlantic help.  Of course, that may change soon.  We all wait.

The statement was that the Pacific is more important.  I'll stand by that statement.

Pattern this and pattern that, sooner or later you need a storm.

No northern stream = no clippers.

And where the hell is the stj?  What's the point of even having a Nino?

By the middle of February, we are going be crying about the lack of storms, not the lack of cold.  That is, unless something changes. 

both are there, but the northern stream is racing by to our north, even with the blocking it doesn't want to dig south of us.  The STJ then either gets squashed under it, or if it phases goes to our north/west.  There is no lack of storms, I think what people see is on runs that are cold because nothing phases there is a lack of storms, then we get a run like 6z gfs where we get 2 storms but both are rain.  What we don't see right now are runs with snowstorms... Need the northern stream to either get out of the way and relax, or to dig more and phase south of us. 

both are there, but the northern stream is racing by to our north, even with the blocking it doesn't want to dig south of us.  The STJ then either gets squashed under it, or if it phases goes to our north/west.  There is no lack of storms, I think what people see is on runs that are cold because nothing phases there is a lack of storms, then we get a run like 6z gfs where we get 2 storms but both are rain.  What we don't see right now are runs with snowstorms... Need the northern stream to either get out of the way and relax, or to dig more and phase south of us. 

Exactly. I think people are overthinking too much. It's time to let the chips fall for a couple weeks. Nuances between the streams has about as much clarity as the date yellowstone is going to erupt. 

Until we get past this weekend's rainer and move into next week, it's futile to make sense of sensible wx. Lot's of chatter about the big -ao/+pna combo almost guaranteeing snow. Doesn't work like that. And it's not a perfect snow pattern. You don't have to look any further than heights in SE canada and off the coast of NF. Still positive. Still plenty of risk of a nw track with any storm with that general look in spite of the -ao/nao. It can work but requires good timing and that's not something anyone can make a definitive statement on. 

0z EPS ticked up in snow storms overnight. 

Well, I care.  I mean, I don't want to see them continue to endure that awful drought.  

I guess I need to keep my expectations in check.  I was expecting to see a few storms slide under us and that doesn't seem to be happening.

I'm with you there.  I like storms, even if they are rain.  God knows, I'm not getting much rain from May through September where I live, so I at least want to cash in during the fall/winter/spring.  

I actually believe that will happen ...............................

....as soon as peace breaks out in the middle east.

Excellent post. We need to stop worrying about each (op) model run and just let things sort themselves out.

I actually believe that will happen ...............................

....as soon as peace breaks out in the middle east.

Or it snows in the Middle East..  LOL  Man I hope some unicorns starting showing themselves soon on guidance.  I don't want to see what happens when the meltdown thread is opened.  Anyway, hope todays GFS and Euro bring a little love back into the fold.

how do we get all these lows out of canada/great lakes

Exactly. I think people are overthinking too much. It's time to let the chips fall for a couple weeks. Nuances between the streams has about as much clarity as the date yellowstone is going to erupt. 

Until we get past this weekend's rainer and move into next week, it's futile to make sense of sensible wx. Lot's of chatter about the big -ao/+pna combo almost guaranteeing snow. Doesn't work like that. And it's not a perfect snow pattern. You don't have to look any further than heights in SE canada and off the coast of NF. Still positive. Still plenty of risk of a nw track with any storm with that general look in spite of the -ao/nao. It can work but requires good timing and that's not something anyone can make a definitive statement on. 

0z EPS ticked up in snow storms overnight. 

I feel that if we keep the general pattern look developing our snow chances will increase as we get later into winter.  That probably requires more patience then most of us (myself included) have but it may be the reality. 

how do we get all these lows out of canada/great lakes

either the northern stream relaxes and stops tracking vorts across where we need highs every 36 hours... or have the northern stream dig more and get under us.  The first may be a response to the pac SST torch so perhaps we need to wait for the second option which becomes more and more likely the later into winter we get as wavelengths shorten and the northern stream can dig more.

Now you are changing what has been said.

Nobody is speculating on the what might happen in the Pacific.  Yeah, the EPO probably isn't going to help.

The discussion was about the importance of the Pacific.  Let's look at facts.  Last 3 winters = pretty good with no Atlantic help.

2011-12 = awful winter with Atlantic help (I think that was the year).  Right now = nothing with Atlantic help.  Of course, that may change soon.  We all wait.

The statement was that the Pacific is more important.  I'll stand by that statement.

Just for the record I didn't mean the Pac is more important, just that it's important. I still tend to think -NAO/-AO are most important of those indices for at least big snow around here. But this year in particular we need the Pac to cooperate a little.

12z GGEM has light snow Tuesday Night/Wednesday Pre Dawn. Also a Interior SNE Pummeling, but that's the GGEM for you. Also 12z UKIE at hr 144 has a 1002mb off the coast, but likely too Far East (Ocean City Longitide, Nantucket Latitude), 1034mb'ish high NNE in Far Eastern Canada.

Just for the record I didn't mean the Pac is more important, just that it's important. I still tend to think -NAO/-AO are most important of those indices for at least big snow around here. But this year in particular we need the Pac to cooperate a little.

Yes, I am the one who said it.

Perhaps it is based upon what one wants.  I personally don't care about "big" snow.  I would much rather have consistent winter weather.  I think the Pacific is more important for that.  To each his own, I guess.

Archived