joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's no doubt that the PAC is messing up the flow, at least on this run thru 168 hrs.

Getting really tired of seeing the gl low.

i think we are getting shutout this month and possibly winter

patience, we are still in a transition period.  I know we all want it to happen NOW but the block is literally just getting going now, and it isn't really a classic block that helps us much for another week.  Then we often need to wait a week or two after that to see results on the ground.  That puts us towards the last week of January and into February and guess what that is when nino climo says our best chances start as well.  If we are still chasing pattern changes and ghosts in February then I get worried.  I will take this look going into late January and take my chances.

post-2304-0-35030500-1452193269_thumb.gi

patience, we are still in a transition period.  I know we all want it to happen NOW but the block is literally just getting going now, and it isn't really a classic block that helps us much for another week.  Then we often need to wait a week or two after that to see results on the ground.  That puts us towards the last week of January and into February and guess what that is when nino climo says our best chances start as well.  If we are still chasing pattern changes and ghosts in February then I get worried.  I will take this look going into late January and take my chances.

attachicon.gifnice.gif

patience? this week was suppose to be our transition period. Next week was suppose to be cold and snow especially as we approached Wes storm weekend

attachicon.gifnice.gif

im getting tired of 384 hour maps....we cant get anything within 10 days and your showing me a 16 day map?

patience? this week was suppose to be our transition period. Next week was suppose to be cold and snow especially as we approached Wes storm weekend

I know, its frustrating, i wont pretend it doesn't bother me also but the models usually rush pattern changes like this.  Also, the blocking has not been getting pushed back, only the appearance of phantom unicorn storms on the op runs for us to look at.  The pattern is actually moving closer in time,  we are just now seeing a more realistic evolution of how that pattern will play out at the surface over the CONUS showing up on models.  Go back and look at when the AO tanks and blocking regimes start and then look at when the big snows usually hit.  There is often a significant lag time.  Take it for what its worth. 

I know, its frustrating, i wont pretend it doesn't bother me also but the models usually rush pattern changes like this.  Also, the blocking has not been getting pushed back, only the appearance of phantom unicorn storms on the op runs for us to look at.  The pattern is actually moving closer in time,  we are just now seeing a more realistic evolution of how that pattern will play out at the surface over the CONUS showing up on models.  Go back and look at when the AO tanks and blocking regimes start and then look at when the big snows usually hit.  There is often a significant lag time.  Take it for what its worth. 

Check out the pattern thread - I mused on that question earlier based on some of your posts this AM and btr did the legwork.

Maybe, but great placement, no GLL...  I guess those are the details that will fluctuate, but it sure looks like a better interaction between STJ and northern flow.

there is a GLL low in the panel before that im sure is playing havoc

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_10.png

its rain according to the numbers lol and its not even close

Maybe, but great placement, no GLL...  I guess those are the details that will fluctuate, but it sure looks like a better interaction between STJ and northern flow.

If the euro is a few degrees too warm with the preceding air mass ahead of that storm, the primary probably transfers sooner and that becomes a snowstorm.  Minor minor detail for a day 10 storm. 

Great post!

attachicon.gifnice.gif

LOL, yes, into spring

Could someone tell me what the ECMFW showed for the Jan 17-18 timeframe. I heard it was good as per the accuweather forums but I just do not know the specifics. Thanks!  :santa:

I can tell you that the EPS looked great a few days ago for the 11th.  About all you need to know about 10 day forecasts.

Yes, I am the one who said it.

Perhaps it is based upon what one wants.  I personally don't care about "big" snow.  I would much rather have consistent winter weather.  I think the Pacific is more important for that.  To each his own, I guess.

I can see your POV. I don't think there's one silver bullet. But like most I'm looking for the 12-18"+ not the 1-3" mix. ;)

A strong nino difference composite at 500mb shows the higher hights over the PAC well for snowy months vs non snowy. Even a hint of a less super-powered STJ across the southern US--which hasn't been our problem here so far per  se.

fDbZjka.png

Mod-strong since 1950 similar.. also reiterates we shouldn't necessarily expect above average snow in Jan around here in Nino.

pE3IeYP.png

It's actually not a cutter

Image from wxbell

d5bf1ffef3c0240fcf979ed3d0807d39.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well "technically" it isn't a cutter, but it serves the same purpose. Temps are mild and there's a huge ridge out ahead of the low even with the block. I would guess if that block & 50/50 that forms day 7 is legit there would be no way it would turn out like the 12z run does. It doesn't matter though it will be different in 12 hours anyway. I'm just happy to see a block being modeled like we're seeing.

3 weeks ago we would KILL to see something like this showing up in the models so let's just watch it play out

Archived