joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a weather watcher -- but I come here to learn.  I wish I had something to contribute beyond obs.  Just wanted to say thank you for very helpful and educational discussion this afternoon and evening 00 Learned a lot today.

Never knew there was a place called Virgilina. I learned something too. So you ride the MA/SE line. Both sides are insane in case you didn't know.

Never knew there was a place called Virgilina. I learned something too. So you ride the MA/SE line. Both sides are insane in case you didn't know.

Thank you Bristow -- Indeed...nearest "large" towns are Roxboro, NC and South Boston, VA.  It's interesting (whiplash-inducing sometimes) travelling back and forth between the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast conversations.  We are the cold side of the SE; the warm end of the MA.  Typically 5F colder than RDU; usually within a few degrees of RIC.  We had a dusting two days ago.

Feels like have moisture looking for the cold this winter.  We have had an abundance of precip and now, cold -- but not together.  I think this is how it plays out the rest of the winter (albeit, a few close calls) south of the I66 and east of the I81.  Question....I've seen a few comments about how the models are struggling this season -- could it be that they are having a hard time handling such a strong Nino?  

Thank you Bristow -- Indeed...nearest "large" towns are Roxboro, NC and South Boston, VA. It's interesting (whiplash-inducing sometimes) travelling back and forth between the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast conversations. We are the cold side of the SE; the warm end of the MA. Typcially 5F colder than RDU; usually within a few degrees of RIC.

You're literally right on the NC/VA border

You're literally right on the NC/VA border

One foot in VA the other in NC.  (Recently, we are more comfortable in VA).  Gas is significantly cheaper too.  We are in the middle of a solar farm, moonshine, and data center building boomlet.   Schizophrenic weather and horrible wx information coverage (RDU, RIC, Lynchburg?)  Oy.  I'll let you all get back to your discussions.  Look for me on the obs pages if/when things get interesting.  Cheers, and thank you all again.

12/19 was number three analog for d 11-16 12z eps. Top three all had good snows within a few days on either side. Very cold signal overall, probably snowy in some fashion if not necessarily perfect. It's going to snow at some point. Patience. ;)

I am not a pro, however for the mid atlantic a Hudson bay block isn't bad, it's bad for New England, I thought a strong west block keeps the storm suppressed offshore better chance for snow NC to PHL/NYC  maybe I'm wrong if I am let me know so I can keep learning

I am not a pro, however for the mid atlantic a Hudson bay block isn't bad, it's bad for New England, I thought a strong west block keeps the storm suppressed offshore better chance for snow NC to PHL/NYC  maybe I'm wrong if I am let me know so I can keep learning

The block is north of Hudsons bay this run and the Trapped vortex is stuck over Hudsons Bay. Ideally that vortex should be over Newfoundland.

gfs_z500a_namer_41.png

The block is north of Hudsons bay this run and the Trapped vortex is stuck over Hudsons Bay. Ideally that vortex should be over Newfoundland.

gfs_z500a_namer_41.png

I like that set up, looks like the track brings the low off the NC/Delmarva coast I'll take my chances

GFS just does not want to show any snow for us even in LR.  Even with the block up north the 17th warms up, relatively, and rains.  I just don't get it.  This time there is no 50/50 showing up so it screws us.  There is always some way something screws us.   

Archived