Newest Member
    Dano62
December Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sadly...we are due for a bad winter

I'm just poking fun at the obvious crappy start. Doesn't have the feel of a dud. At least not yet. The trough in the west will ridge out somewhere down the line. Always does. Our nemesis is the height pattern in the npac. I feel fairly confident in getting some help there sooner than we think (before mid Jan is my total wag)

I've seen a few people lately bring up 72-73 as a potential front runner.. supposedly it had a good Feb. I'm not really sure I'd root for it, but...

I'd take a 97/98 over a 72/73.  At least it had interesting storms that made it all the way up the coast.   I had like .5 inches of snow in Baltimore for the entire winter in 72/73.  The storms mainly missed south that winter.

I have blooming dandelions in my yard. 

But I got the concrete poured around the kids new swingset today and we went and cut our Christmas tree without a coat (at least for me). 

Did you do the concrete work or truck it in? 

I can add my yard to the list of those that mowed and cut for the last time of the year, though the grass is still growing so as crazy as it would look to my neighbors, I may have to do it one more time in a couple of weeks for snow preparations.  I still can't believe how healthy and green it looks for December.

It means you are responsible for polluting the bay ;)

Oh, and by the way, I meant to respond to this last week.  I don't always fertilize, but when I do, I use Milorganite.   ;)

I have blooming dandelions in my yard. 

But I got the concrete poured around the kids new swingset today and we went and cut our Christmas tree without a coat (at least for me). 

I've seen some cherry trees blooming (or re-blooming?), too.  Now, I thought I read somewhere that this is not all that unusual, there's a particular type of cherry that can do that.  But still.  As long as we don't get mosquitoes coming back...which I have seen before in January!

As for cutting a Christmas tree...that's a lot of fun!  Where do you go, offhand?  We've gone up to Butler's Orchard a couple of times in recent years to do that.  Nice place, have done the "pick your own" several times for strawberries, blueberries, pumpkins, and cutting a tree.  Their little market is nice to go through as well.  We may go there in a week or so for a tree (probably still won't need a coat then, haha!).

Did you do the concrete work or truck it in?

Myself.  I did 6 50lb bags, dumped it in, added water, and mixed it in the hole.  Hopefully that will work.  It was the quick-setting concrete.  Then I added the soil back on top. 

I've seen some cherry trees blooming (or re-blooming?), too.  Now, I thought I read somewhere that this is not all that unusual, there's a particular type of cherry that can do that.  But still.  As long as we don't get mosquitoes coming back...which I have seen before in January!

As for cutting a Christmas tree...that's a lot of fun!  Where do you go, offhand?  We've gone up to Butler's Orchard a couple of times in recent years to do that.  Nice place, have done the "pick your own" several times for strawberries, blueberries, pumpkins, and cutting a tree.  Their little market is nice to go through as well.  We may go there in a week or so for a tree (probably still won't need a coat then, haha!).

We went to Pine Valley Farms in Sykesville. It's really pretty there with nicely shaped trees and a good selection.  $55 for a 7-8' douglas fir. 

Ravens narrative continues...horrible ref calls on crucial plays, dumb penalties and turnovers, head scratching in-game coaching, and of course hoards of players that lack talent playing due to injuries. Oh, and how could I forget the big play against the soft underbelly of Pee's simpleton defense. Even on a day when they were statistically pretty good, they sucked. End result...another close game resulting in a loss. Bring on that top 5 pick.

Ravens narrative continues...horrible ref calls on crucial plays, dumb penalties and turnovers, head scratching in-game coaching, and of course hoards of players that lack talent playing due to injuries. Oh, and how could I forget the big play against the soft underbelly of Pee's simpleton defense. Even on a day when they were statistically pretty good, they sucked. End result...another close game resulting in a loss. Bring on that top 5 pick.

Don't want to beat on Tucker but he is awful on long field goals. This is a very concerning trend. Everyone he misses over 50 always fade wide right.

Don't want to beat on Tucker but he is awful on long field goals. This is a very concerning trend. Everyone he misses over 50 always fade wide right.

Yeah he hasn't been his usual self this season. Let it all go bad in one year I guess. It really is uncanny. I mean, if they had a couple of their key players (or just Flacco) they likely would have won today. And had the refs not stolen that win against Jacksonville, the Ravens, despite all that has gone wrong, would be a .500 team today. Just one of those years.

There is a very high correlation between the Ravens having a losing season and this region getting a 12+" storm in the same winter. This was an important factor in choosing my snow totals for the contest, even more than ENSO. In fact, the Ravens winning the Super Bowl is 100% correlated with a terrible winter and a March 6 bust.

The biggest hugest largest massivest giganticest game of my entire life is tonight.

It's pretty silly that we even have the Div lead right now. I guess we earned it a little bit with last week's win but it's basically just been handed to us.

We need a strong finish and a road win to deserve it. Take control ourselves. No more gifts or hoping other teams lose.

Archived