• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

Looking at the pattern for the next weeks there's really not much to get excited about. Indices don't look very favorable and the promise of something better is relatively weak, not to mention way out there in la la land.

Odds probably favor the CFS depiction and we may never get the change we want.

I'm sticking with a much better pattern come February but that could easily bust too. The problem is how do we suddenly shift a regime that's been a force since May.

That's the big question.  It's been stubborn for 7 months straight.  

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the pattern for the next weeks there's really not much to get excited about. Indices don't look very favorable and the promise of something better is relatively weak, not to mention way out there in la la land.

Odds probably favor the CFS depiction and we may never get the change we want.

I'm sticking with a much better pattern come February but that could easily bust too. The problem is how do we suddenly shift a regime that's been a force since May.

CFS depiction for the end of the January isn't bad at all. CFS shows a warm start to January and a colder one towards the end of January. I like what I am seeing on all of the models in regards to the PV. I think changes are going to come mid to late January just like last year. Hang in there, it will come.

For those who are interested, here's a comparison of the ugly JMA and CFSv2 forecasts for January 2016.

CFSv2_JMAJanuary2016.jpg

Plus 1C anomaly at 850 is colder than plus 3C at the surface .

Look at it`s 500 the trough is in the SE .  A plus 1 or 2C  is in line with the Euro . 

VS THE CFS  where TROUGH IN THE SW . They are not totally in the same camp . 

post-7472-0-99877400-1450453507_thumb.pn

You guys are not looking at this right 

Plus 1C anomaly at 850 is colder than plus 3C at the surface .

Look at it`s 500 the trough is in the SE .  A plus 1 or 2C  is in line with the Euro . 

VS THE CFS  where TROUGH IN THE SW . They are not totally in the same camp . 

The CFSv2 is clearly much warmer than the JMA (even as both charts show different temperatures 850 mb vs. 2m). IMO, the JMA's idea looks more reasonable from this far out given how I think the pattern will evolve. However, I'd prefer cooler than what either model shows, but am not sure it will be cooler than let's say 2°F above normal in the NYC area just yet.

The CFSv2 is clearly much warmer than the JMA (even as both charts show different temperatures 850 mb vs. 2m). IMO, the JMA's idea looks more reasonable from this far out given how I think the pattern will evolve.

I agree . 

If the CFS is right and digs the trough into the west like that , its game over . 

Pretty big model war setting up for JFM with the new JMA joining forces with the CFS

against the Euro and JAMSTEC.

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/4mE/index.html

attachicon.gifMV5BMjIwNTYzMzE1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTE5Mzg3OA@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

Yeah that is disturbing. When it was just the CFS..I felt while it had a chance of finding the nut..with other guidance not supporting it..it wasn't overly likely. Anything that will bust my ratter winter forecast would be welcomed. But having something support the CFS isn't what we wanted to see

I'm selfishly rooting for the first snowless winter on record due to its rarity from a meteorological perspective.

If the pattern never changes, then it could happen but there could always be a sneaky system like in 01/02 and there's plenty of time for it to snow.

What's wrong with you? I don't even know what to say, except that it's pretty much impossible, maybe a once in a 1000 year event

GFS is showing a snowy nor'easter around January 2nd 2016. I still think it's a joke but it's nice to look at! I honestly think winter will get here soon and when it does it'll be relentless. I'm still sticking to 48inches of snow for the city.

Three days ago winter was over for you. Good to see you back on the snowy side. Otherwise we truly we're screwed

I have outdoor herbs that are still going strong, that's just wrong!!!

I agree . 

If the CFS is right and digs the trough into the west like that , its game over . 

Right now, I don't think that will happen. By mid-January, we'll probably have a good idea whether the relaxation in the current pattern marked the start of an evolving larger-scale change or was temporary. I'm still leaning toward the former.

I'm selfishly rooting for the first snowless winter on record due to its rarity from a meteorological perspective.

If the pattern never changes, then it could happen but there could always be a sneaky system like in 01/02 and there's plenty of time for it to snow.

I assume you mean no measurable snowfall.

Its happen in Philly, 72-73 I believe with just a trace.  So theoretically it could happen here, the climate isn't that significantly different over those 90 miles or so on the Turnpike.

97-98 came close with 0.5" before that surprise late March 5" storm. By that point I didn't care about snow anymore I'd rather just take the record. I remember that morning snowfall well. It melted in a couple hours under the late March sun. If you slept late you may have hardly noticed.

I think Philly had a another Trace winter total in the 1800s ?

Archived