• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December warm NOT White

PB GFI

All strength denotes is the capacity of the associated forcing to manifest itself into the atmosphere, thus shaping the pattern.

I don't care if it's stronger than 1998, if the forcing shifts westward, as just about every piece of guidance suggests, then the immense magnitude of the event will begin to work in our favor.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are all warm NOV/DEC NINO`s that turned like the Euro is showing you .

So it`s not the NINO strength that will make us warm as per the CFS its the lack of SSW ?  I want to make sure I understand your argument 

CFS last year .

post-9647-0-14344200-1449731279.gif

I remember that monumental fail.   Are you choosing just one special week to make your point like they do on the Business channels?   When did the CFS first pick up on the cold JFM period?

I remember that monumental fail.   Are you choosing just one special week to make your point like they do on the Business channels?   When did the CFS first pick up on the cold JFM period?

It picked up the Feb cold in Jan and did very well . 

But it had to get close . I am not saying it has to be wrong  , I just think there is overwhelming guidance against it .

I  am only plus 1 for the winter , so by no means cold . I  just like the look of a wet EC with that kind of look at 500 

Watch the 18-20 period. You have a way better shot than I do.

Anthony, while I appreciate your eternal optimism, the day 9 system on the GFS is rain or a mix all the way into the Poconos, and that's with a benchmark track. I just don't see any supply of cold air at all. This isn't even a case where some cold air is being scoured out, it just plain doesn't exist. NYC and LI would be pushing 50 degrees during the height of the storm.

Furthermore, as much as it pains me to say this, the seasonal trend since Spring has been for warmer and drier as we've gotten closer to potentially stormier periods. 

I recorded a -12 last winter in Chester, NJ. It was the coldest temperature I have personally experienced other than -20 in Loon Lake, NY in 2010. These are rare events in this area thankfully.

I was at -9 at MMU. I'm not sure if that was at 1994 levels (1994 might have been -10 or -11), but it was the coldest since then. January 2004 (I think) was subzero, too.

Anthony, while I appreciate your eternal optimism, the day 9 system on the GFS is rain or a mix all the way into the Poconos, and that's with a benchmark track. I just don't see any supply of cold air at all. This isn't even a case where some cold air is being scoured out, it just plain doesn't exist. NYC and LI would be pushing 50 degrees during the height of the storm.

Furthermore, as much as it pains me to say this, the seasonal trend since Spring has been for warmer and drier as we've gotten closer to potentially stormier periods. 

Welcome to the dark side.

Usually is the trend to begin potent el nino seasons.

With today's high temperature (so far) of 58° in New York City, the monthly anomaly has increased to +7.3°. If all remaining days were at their seasonal normal, the month would finish with a mean temperature of 39.9° (+2.3° anomaly).

If one assumes the 12z MEX guidance will verify through 12/17, the month would finish with the following outcomes (average monthly temperature, monthly anomaly, rank):

Remainder of December:

2° below normal: 42.7° +5.2° (7th warmest on record)

1° below normal: 43.2° +5.7° (tied, 5th warmest on record)

Normal: 43.6° +6.1° (tied, 3rd warmest on record)

1° above normal: 44.1° +6.6° (tied, warmest on record)

2° above normal: 44.5° +7.0° (warmest on record)

With today's high temperature (so far) of 58° in New York City, the monthly anomaly has increased to +7.3°. If all remaining days were at their seasonal normal, the month would finish with a mean temperature of 39.9° (+2.3° anomaly).

If one assumes the 12z MEX guidance will verify through 12/17, the month would finish with the following outcomes (average monthly temperature, monthly anomaly, rank):

Remainder of December:

2° below normal: 42.7° +5.2° (7th warmest on record)

1° below normal: 43.2° +5.7° (tied, 5th warmest on record)

Normal: 43.6° +6.1° (tied, 3rd warmest on record)

1° above normal: 44.1° +6.6° (tied, warmest on record)

2° above normal: 44.5° +7.0° (warmest on record)

Just a remarkable run of record warmth after the very cold JFM with the 3rd coldest February in NYC.

The El Nino pattern has been carving out a trough over the West and a persistent strong ridge over the

Northeast. Being a two year event gave the pattern the opportunity to lock in early.

2nd warmest May

3rd warmest August

1st warmest September

1st warmest November

potential for warmest December

http://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/CentralPark/warmcoldmonths.pdf

tie for warmest fall

http://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/CentralPark/warmcoldseasons.pdf

Was working in white plains and mild as it was it dropped off in a hurry at sunset. Car term down to 46 but back up to the 50s in yonkers and 57 in Bx.  Almost gain a degree per mile. 

Making for some crazy departures in urban centers.

Working in the suburbs is the only thing that gives me any reminder its actually (met) winter.

Was working in white plains and mild as it was it dropped off in a hurry at sunset. Car term down to 46 but back up to the 50s in yonkers and 57 in Bx.  Almost gain a degree per mile. 

Making for some crazy departures in urban centers.

Working in the suburbs is the only thing that gives me any reminder its actually (met) winter.

Ha. That's what I was thinking. My apartment in Bushwick is in the process of being renovated, so I've been staying over in Bergen County in the mean time--I've been impressed with all the hard freezes they've had the past week. We've had nothing remotely approaching a frost, much less a hard freeze back in BK so far.

Archived