• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December warm NOT White

PB GFI

I include Christmas day and night.and any snow, or flurries even Christmas eve.hey if it snows on Christmas, it's white lol..so I include 1962,1969,1975,1976,,1993,2002,and 2013(dusting on Christmas eve)

yeah I left out any without snow on the ground Christmas morning...1962 did have a trace in spots on the ground Christmas morning before light snow developed and accumulated a half inch in spots...It snowed for about four hours before it changed to light sleet and freezing drizzle late in the day...1975 was another year with a trace on the ground and light snow in the afternoon...a half inch before changing to heavy rain late in the day...The Christmas night storm in 1969 hurts still...The worst part was I had to work the day after Christmas and walking to the train in 5" of slush with heavy rain falling was a low point in weather watching for me...1976 with a surprise snowfall Christmas night had a lot of wasted cold before that...1993 had light snow late Christmas eve and again Christmas night...a dusting for both events...1959 to 1963 had some snow on the ground and 1964's snow cover melted Christmas eve in heavy fog...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah I left out any without snow on the ground Christmas morning...1962 did have a trace in spots on the ground Christmas morning before light snow developed and accumulated a half inch in spots...It snowed for about four hours before it changed to light sleet and freezing drizzle late in the day...1975 was another year with a trace on the ground and light snow in the afternoon...a half inch before changing to heavy rain late in the day...The Christmas night storm in 1969 hurts still...The worst part was I had to work the day after Christmas and walking to the train in 5" of slush with heavy rain falling was a low point in weather watching for me...1976 with a surprise snowfall Christmas night had a lot of wasted cold before that...1993 had light snow late Christmas eve and again Christmas night...a dusting for both events...1959 to 1963 had some snow on the ground and 1964's snow cover melted Christmas eve in heavy fog...

I seen to remember it snowing an inch or two Christmas Eve 1998

Only twice in recorded history has Central Park recorded 0" of snow through December:

- 2006-7 (12.4" for the rest of the season)

- 1877-8 (8.1" for the rest of the season)

This year has a good chance to be the third time ever.

Its December 7th...

Only twice in recorded history has Central Park recorded 0" of snow through December:

It does, but even last year which was mild and rainy, there was measureable snow.   A fluke .5 on 12/31 could do the trick

It's crazy in that late 1800s ice age they pulled off a December and winter like that

It's crazy in that late 1800s ice age they pulled off a December and winter like that

it looks like the 8.1" of snow that fell in 1878 came on Jan. 31st to February 1st..If you look at the dailies for that year it only has a few days that could have a trace or dusting of snow besides the 8" fall....that was a big storm on the coast...

1878 storm from the NY Sun...

http://chroniclingam...-03/ed-1/seq-1/

So I work with a great, unimpeded 20-30 mile view out over the Upper N Harbor.  So I have a good sense of visibilities. 

And today is the worst visibility I've seen on a non-fog, clear sky day in the 5 years I've had this view.

What gives?  I see that the NWS issued an air quality alert so it's not just me.  Its not wildfire season upstream.  Are we under an inversion?  Seems odd given that the clear sky / breeze should mix things up at the coast.

EDIT:  Based on the JFK obs, we should be mixed out but vis's still look to be in the 7-8 mile range, which is VERY low for this time of year.  Unheard of, even.

What looked like a rainy and potentially stormy week a few days ago now appears to be nothing more than a cold frontal passage late this coming weekend or early next week. The 00z ECMWF had less than a half inch of QPF for our area for the next ten days. That's pretty astounding. 

same ol pattern.   We often see a "turn to cold and stormy" in the longer term models only to verify as warm/dry and if there is an event, it underperforms.  We have a shot around here to finish 10-12 inches below normal rainfall for the year!

So I work with a great, unimpeded 20-30 mile view out over the Upper N Harbor. So I have a good sense of visibilities.

And today is the worst visibility I've seen on a non-fog, clear sky day in the 5 years I've had this view.

What gives? I see that the NWS issued an air quality alert so it's not just me. Its not wildfire season upstream. Are we under an inversion? Seems odd given that the clear sky / breeze should mix things up at the coast.

EDIT: Based on the JFK obs, we should be mixed out but vis's still look to be in the 7-8 mile range, which is VERY low for this time of year. Unheard of, even.

Inversion was pretty impressive this morning, heavy freezing fog and thick frost down at about 125', but only needed to go to 500' to get clearer skies and warmer temps.

it looks like the 8.1" of snow that fell in 1878 came on Jan. 31st to February 1st..If you look at the dailies for that year it only has a few days that could have a trace or dusting of snow besides the 8" fall....that was a big storm on the coast...

1878 storm from the NY Sun...

http://chroniclingam...-03/ed-1/seq-1/

You could strain your eyes reading newspapers back then.

I'll be amazed if DT's forecast verifies. I guess something like 06/07 is possible with a massive reversal later on but the overall base state globally is much warmer this year.

The Nino is aiding to scorch the planet this year and likely next.

Our weather pattern has also been locked in since spring (warm & dry) as Bluewave showed with no signs of change yet.

There are lots of proxies that can be used to infer when a strong Nino happened.  You just calibrate against modern direct measurement.  It's straightforward.

Thanks

Archived