Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November 20-21 Early Season Snowstorm

Hoosier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty good agreement already on a N IL, S WI jackpot area. Devil is in the details as always, but starting to lean towards a high end advisory event for mby.

First and final call, swinging for the fences, 5.8" in DKB, cyclone jackpot with 6.5", and ORD with 6.0".

Pretty good agreement already on a N IL, S WI jackpot area. Devil is in the details as always, but starting to lean towards a high end advisory event for mby.

First and final call, swinging for the fences, 5.8" in DKB, cyclone jackpot with 6.5", and ORD with 6.0".

I would say thats a reasonable call for your area. This warm ground nonsense is getting annoying. No, it will not accumulate as effeciently as a January snowfall, but to see that much qpf and hear anything under 3" is silly. I cant count the number of times the warm ground argument, or everyones favorite "sun angle" (starting in Feb), has been proven wrong.

I would say thats a reasonable call for your area. This warm ground nonsense is getting annoying. No, it will not accumulate as effeciently as a January snowfall, but to see that much qpf and hear anything under 3" is silly. I cant count the number of times the warm ground argument, or everyones favorite "sun angle" (starting in Feb), has been proven wrong.

There is a valid argument for current and recent conditions affecting accums.   But I don't always understand how it happens.  For instance, last mid November we picked up 3.8" from a storm that was predicted to be 4-6", (which ended up being a pretty good forecast).  That came on the heels of a fairly mild pattern.  

A couple of winters ago we had a snow storm in December, and I remember b**ch'n about how it seemed like a late March snowstorm because the only place it accumulated was grassy surfaces.

So many variables.  Ground temp, time of day that the snow falls, intensity, etc., and even trying to consider all of those you'll still end up surprised, good or bad.   

There is a valid argument for current and recent conditions affecting accums.   But I don't always understand how it happens.  For instance, last mid November we picked up 3.8" from a storm that was predicted to be 4-6", (which ended up being a pretty good forecast).  That came on the heels of a fairly mild pattern.  

A couple of winters ago we had a snow storm in December, and I remember b**ch'n about how it seemed like a late March snowstorm because the only place it accumulated was grassy surfaces.

So many variables.  Ground temp, time of day that the snow falls, intensity, etc., and even trying to consider all of those you'll still end up surprised, good or bad.   

fair enough. I can remember a few snowfalls where I was surprised how poor the accumulation was, but I can remember far more where the above factors were listed as concerns and luckily didnt pan out. I will say, though, that between the "warm ground" and "sun angle" arguments, I could see the warm ground concerns panning out now (to an extent) versus sun angle concerns in Feb (during an actual snowstorm, not a few spitting flurries lol).

I almost feel as if all the predictions will be making a southward shift, based on what will be coming up on today's runs...

As a side note, I think we've missed snowfall. 13 page thread and we're still 40 hours out.

A quick glance at the 6z gfs ensembles show 8 of the 11 ensembles south of the OP (at least in this area). 12z runs will be interesting for potential trends.

if you're looking for a weaker/south trend, the 0z euro and 6z GFS ensembles aren't bad signs

gfs-ens_apcpn_us_17.png

Yeah, I'm not fond of the lack of agreement on the Ensembles for my general area.  A couple have 0.1"QPF, a couple have 1"+QPF, and everything else is in between.  Guess I need to ride a DAB-10" call lol.  Same old story.

if you're looking for a weaker/south trend, the 0z euro and 6z GFS ensembles aren't bad signs

gfs-ens_apcpn_us_17.png

I don't look at the ensembles if I like what the OP is forecasting.Reverse is true if the OP is dissapointing.I think yesterday ten of 12 of the ensembles from the noon GFS run had MSN in good precip.Whatever is reassuring is what you try to memerize your self with!

Looking like cold rain with some wet flurries mixed in at times for here.

Thinking I'll be able to squeeze out 1-2" here for a nice early season coating. South trends are our friend this time.

Likely a bit of mixed precip early Saturday followed by some snow as rates increase and temps drop on the back side.

WSW for the NW third of LOT:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL346 AM CST THU NOV 19 2015...HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY....A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL QUICKLY MOVE EAST OF THE ROCKIESFRIDAY AFTERNOON AND APPROACH THE REGION FRIDAY EVENING.PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO STEADILY DEVELOP AND OVERSPREADNORTHWEST ILLINOIS AROUND SUNSET. AT THE ONSET TEMPERATURES WILLBE WARM ENOUGH TO LIMIT PRECIPITATION AS A RAIN SNOW MIX...THENQUICKLY CHANGE OVER TO ALL SNOW. GROUND TEMPERATURES WILLINITIALLY LIMIT ACCUMULATIONS ON SURFACES...HOWEVER AS THE SYSTEMSTRENGTHENS OVER NORTHERN ILLINOIS LATE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO EARLYSATURDAY SNOW WILL QUICKLY BEGIN TO ACCUMULATE. THE POTENTIAL FOR4 TO 7 INCHES OF SNOW CURRENTLY EXISTS IN THE WATCH AREAS...BUTTHE PRECISE TRACK AND INTENSITY OF THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILLLIKELY CAUSE SNOWFALL TOTALS TO FLUCTUATE.ILZ003>006-008-010>012-191800-/O.NEW.KLOT.WS.A.0004.151121T0000Z-151121T1800Z/WINNEBAGO-BOONE-MCHENRY-LAKE IL-OGLE-LEE-DE KALB-KANE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROCKFORD...BELVIDERE...WOODSTOCK...WAUKEGAN...OREGON...DIXON...DEKALB...AURORA346 AM CST THU NOV 19 2015...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGHSATURDAY MORNING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORMWATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH SATURDAYMORNING.* TIMING...FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH LATE SATURDAY MORNING.* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 7 INCHES.* IMPACTS...POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR DIFFICULT DRIVING CONDITIONS AND  REDUCED VISIBILITIES.

Archived