Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November 20-21 Early Season Snowstorm

Hoosier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noticed the 32° line further into the Chicagoland/Cook County on this NAM run.

Part of Cook County could see warning criteria snows...

namconus_asnow_ncus_24.png

Don't worry Wis.Wx you'll get enough snow to cover the ground!

Some weird stair-step-like artifacts on the edges there. Maybe my memory is failing but I don't remember seeing that before.

I wish they could divide Cook Co into 2 for watch purposes....N and S....COOK1 and COOK2...let 290 be the split or something...just to help the office out...

anywho...

soid temps at 4 inch and 2 inch are both down over 10 degrees already compared to this time yesterday...fwiw with all the ground temp chatter...roughly from 55 to 42-43 ish range...

Now the NAM bumped south.  Frustrating to see the precip north of our latitude in the Plains and then drift ESE.

Live by the Nam die by the Nam!

That model wastes more of our time and energy than should be allowed.We look at it because it is there but most of the time it creates false hopes or desroys legitament ones.This mornings GFS ensembles should give us a pretty good idea of where this thing is at.

I wish they could divide Cook Co into 2 for watch purposes....N and S....COOK1 and COOK2...let 290 be the split or something...just to help the office out...

anywho...

soid temps at 4 inch and 2 inch are both down over 10 degrees already compared to this time yesterday...fwiw with all the ground temp chatter...roughly from 55 to 42-43 ish range...

they'll probably add it via WWA later this evening

Something like that. Polygon winter headlines would be nice for a few of the bigger counties in the CWA... Mostly for Cook though, as headlines are usually Chicago biased.

they'll probably add it via WWA later this evening

yeah I agree with that...especially with it being the first event of the season....

not complaining...just seems like a difficult county for them to cover with one headline time and time again in the winter...mostly semantics though

EDIT:  yeah Joe, or polygons to include certain wards...will county is another long county which also includes the 80 corridor that seems to always be a boundary for systems in all seasons

I really think parts of DVN get to experience the biggest winter impact maxima for this storm....but obviously a 4+ inch storm in November for any place that has yet to even see a flake is also higher impact as well....

but in terms of actual winter impacts...I feel the goods (snowfall timing, QPF mean for the area, winds on the backside with CAA ramping up as the sun rises to keep temps in check) are in eastern Iowa on this one...for now....fwiw

yeah I agree with that...especially with it being the first event of the season....

not complaining...just seems like a difficult county for them to cover with one headline time and time again in the winter...mostly semantics though

EDIT:  yeah Joe, or polygons to include certain wards...will county is another long county which also includes the 80 corridor that seems to always be a boundary for systems in all seasons

I think like LaSalle County could do with some sort of split as well. Probably the next best example when a split or polygon is needed is when you have lake effect snow headlines. Eastern Lake and Cook Counties can be getting blasted and the rest of the county could be just flurries or less.

950mb stays below -1 the whole time. The warm layer is very thin. This NAM run would give us a run at warning criteria snows.

Sounding near ORD from the NAM at 3am Saturday.

NAM_218_2015111912_F45_42.0000N_88.0000W

Near my house about 5 miles inland. 

Same time.

NAM_218_2015111912_F45_42.5000N_88.0000W

Major LE signal

FWIW, I think the higher lollipops, at least locally, will be the areas just inland from the lake that still get in the lake effect bands.  I think a good candidate would be Burlington, WI.  Woodstock or Libertyville, IL would be two other prime candidates.  That's what makes this such a tough call (the lake effect/enhancement and precip types at the time of the LE bands).

1200z GFS gives most of southern WI over an inch of QPF. Save your self a lot of grief if you can keep your self from looking at the NAM! Will be just our luck if this is the one time NAM is right.

12z Euro and some of the GFS Ensemble members showed the southern option as well.  Hard to make a call, truly is.  MKE mets from WISN 12 (normally the most reliable) went with 1-3" last night, but for an average best guess that's probably too low.  If I were to go best guess, I'd say 3-5" which jives w/NWS.

Archived