Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November 20-21 Early Season Snowstorm

Hoosier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For an early season snow threat, this one really hasn't wavered too much on the models. When's the last time the Chicago or Milwaukee area saw a legit snowstorm before Turkey time?

I'm hoping for 3" here. Expecting anything much above that is setting yourself up for disappointment given the warm lake, warm ground, iffy temps at the onset. Strange how the NAM has this thing moving a little south of east and shearing out while other models have it really winding up as it moves east. I'm sure some surprises are still in store.

Bring on the snow, it'll be gone in a couple days anyways.

For an early season snow threat, this one really hasn't wavered too much on the models. When's the last time the Chicago or Milwaukee area saw a legit snowstorm before Turkey time?

I'm hoping for 3" here. Expecting anything much above that is setting yourself up for disappointment given the warm lake, warm ground, iffy temps at the onset. Strange how the NAM has this thing moving a little south of east and shearing out while other models have it really winding up as it moves east. I'm sure some surprises are still in store.

Bring on the snow, it'll be gone in a couple days anyways.

Depends on what "legit" means.  ORD had 4.3" on 11/24/2004, which was right before Thanksgiving.

4.3" is definitely legit when it falls in November.

I remember it well.  Had to drive from LAF to Chi metro that day, and conditions really went downhill as I got farther north.

Totals near the lake were considerably less than farther inland, though that setup had a much stronger low pressure with ripping flow off the lake throughout.

post-14-0-68135400-1447881962_thumb.png

FWIW, based off our course snow ratio output on AWIPS, the 12z Euro has basically 0:1 ratios for downtown Chicago and points south/east for almost the whole event until winds flip to northwest on the backside Saturday afternoon. We officially only went with ~1-2" for the city proper in the grids, highest inland.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Roughly an inch and a little more in spots for QPF totals in most of LOT north of I80 on the 18Z GFS....do what you want with ratios/compaction/melting from there

I would probably nick off an inch or so due to melting initially which GRR mentioned in their AFD, but if it comes down hard enough/fast enough eventually it is snow falling on snow.

Archived