SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty impressive continuity with a signal for a potent storm system in the Feb 1-2 range from the GFS.  Should start to see the first guesses from the Euro in the next few days as it finally gets in the Euro's range.  No matter what happens with it I'm hoping it's a widespread spread the wealth type storm system. 

Euro also has a bigger system forming in the TX/OK panhandle. So, who's starting the thread. ;)

Or maybe I should start it and see if I have any Rookie luck?  :P

I'd wait a few more days... lol

I vote Chicago Storm lol

I do think him or TS12 have some good mojo for big storm threads, so I vote one of them when we do go for a thread in a few days.

There's definitely a strong signal on the ensembles for a significant storm in the region in that February 1-3 timeframe. Pretty impressive clustering of the individual members given lead time. Hopefully whatever happens is white and not warm/wet for here because now that where I grew up is getting smoked, we need to make up for it with a big dog. I like that the ensemble means and individual members are hinting at high pressure spreading southeast from the Plains. We'll need the baroclinic zone to be forced southeast enough to keep the warmth from southeast ridging at bay. The 500 mb anomalies are also showing ridging over AK, so it's possible there could be enough cold air around to help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sorry Ricky, Alek already called it two days ago. Next.

Seriously, I look forward to your input.

Haha, I'm confident that if we see a full ejection out of the well modeled mean western trough, it will be rain. Obviously lots of other potential scenarios on the table but I just don't see that one working in our favor.

Hoping Kermie starts GHDIII, that's if he is free.....

By the looks of the indices this region of time has some good potential for the GL region.  Lets get a good snow followed by some cold temps to keep the snow pack intact for a few weeks. Then torch away....

There's definitely a strong signal on the ensembles for a significant storm in the region in that February 1-3 timeframe. Pretty impressive clustering of the individual members given lead time. Hopefully whatever happens is white and not warm/wet for here because now that where I grew up is getting smoked, we need to make up for it with a big dog. I like that the ensemble means and individual members are hinting at high pressure spreading southeast from the Plains. We'll need the baroclinic zone to be forced southeast enough to keep the warmth from southeast ridging at bay. The 500 mb anomalies are also showing ridging over AK, so it's possible there could be enough cold air around to help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This setup as currently modeled would also favor a zone of ice imo.

Some support for an eastern storm in the 5-6 day timeframe but that's a pretty nice run. Look at it this way...if it happens, the meltdown will be more epic when our favored time comes. ;)

The euro doesn't have the noreaster next week, it sends it out off the se coast.   The ggem does have a noreaster.   I wonder if that's the difference between whether or not the day 10 storm cuts early and is warm vs. coming further south.

With the nao and ao much more positive by the end of next week, and much less blocking, it would seem strange that another storm would end up firing up the coast again.  

The euro doesn't have the noreaster next week, it sends it out off the se coast. The ggem does have a noreaster. I wonder if that's the difference between whether or not the day 10 storm cuts early and is warm vs. coming further south.

With the nao and ao much more positive by the end of next week, and much less blocking, it would seem strange that another storm would end up firing up the coast again.

It is the GGEM, it will be wrong.

Holy smokes @ the CFS torch. I might have to get the grill ready for Super Bowl Sunday. At this point, I think it comes down to what the PV does or else we're probably looking at a decently above average first half of February. 

The CFS is accurate to about 10 days, then it goes down -- dramatically.

We were supposed to torch this month, we are going to end up posting a negative anomaly.

Archived