joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The upcoming weather pattern isn't that hopeless IMO. With no real -NAO and a strong -EPO, whenever the PV moves around there will be opportunity for storms in our sub. The -EPO tends to favor phasing over the Plains and with no strong -NAO there will be room for a track west of the Apps whenever the PV lifts out and when it initially sinks south too. And with such an amplified pattern there should be clippers along with the potential for fairly top end cold IF we can lay a snow pack down. At the very least if all other snow chances fail LES belts should do well.

The upcoming weather pattern isn't that hopeless IMO. With no real -NAO and a strong -EPO, whenever the PV moves around there will be opportunity for storms in our sub. The -EPO tends to favor phasing over the Plains and with no strong -NAO there will be room for a track west of the Apps whenever the PV lifts out and when it initially sinks south too. And with such an amplified pattern there should be clippers along with the potential for fairly top end cold IF we can lay a snow pack down. At the very least if all other snow chances fail LES belts should do well.

Good post. Whether it produces or not remains to be seen...but what else can you ask for when looking at a long range pattern but potential? It not screaming torch or suppression, and with the above mentioned indicies (not to mention we cant seem to lose in Feb anymore), its not a bad look.

I am liking the look of the long term too with the northern stream taking over for the majority the latest run. A few clippers wont amount to 20" dumping but will bring a fresh winter look which has been so illusive this season. I'll take the c-2 clipper train this season over the prospect of a larger Southern moisture machine which is pitching a warm perfect game this year.

Interesting, the CFS which torched Feb all along has decided to go much colder on the last day of Jan.

The long range CFS defaults to warm. The earth is 1C warmer than it was 120 years ago, so by default the CFS must be programmed to be warm. Since the odds that the US will come up at least a fraction of a degree warmer than the 100 year average, it's a good bet. Shoddy, no skill modeling... but still a good bet.

If you think I'm blowing smoke? Take a look, after short term maps, almost no map will show any blue shading.

I am liking the look of the long term too with the northern stream taking over for the majority the latest run. A few clippers wont amount to 20" dumping but will bring a fresh winter look which has been so illusive this season. I'll take the c-2 clipper train this season over the prospect of a larger Southern moisture machine which is pitching a warm perfect game this year.

This! The landscape had a pristine winter look Nov 21-24 and Jan 10-16, everything else has been dirty, patchy snow or bare ground.

Basically we had solid cover 10th-16th, then it was patchy (but more snow than grass) until a week ago it became more grass then snow, and now its all bare (just parking lot piles and a rogue drift or shovel pile).

Yup 575-900 elevation was pretty weak. 900+ was in much better shape. 

A strong -epo, this ain't. Looks fairly zonal. Whether something can slow down enough to "catch" is the key. 8-10th seems to be a time of interest, when maybe the PAC can be controlled enough to amplify something. But that is so far out.

This is a very strong -EPO/+PNA coming up with a strong ridge from off the west coast all the way to the Pole.

If it was a strong -epo, you wouldn't have any storm threat. The cold air would overpower everything. Looks like energetic northern energy trying to amplify, boosting a ridge up into the arctic. Ensembles are pretty blah on the EPO, though that doesn't mean much now. The Cleveland Superbomb/Superstorm 93 both had a sharp drop in the epo due to the amp(then a quick rise) for example. I remember a big sign of the February 09 bust was the lack of tank in the epo, telling us the energy wasn't gonna have the stuff for what the Ops were showing.

The EPO can dump cold air in pretty far west which in the absence of a good -NAO can work for us. I do think there's a period of suppression past the threat around the 10th. We'll see though

If it was a strong -epo, you wouldn't have any storm threat. The cold air would overpower everything. Looks like energetic northern energy trying to amplify, boosting a ridge up into the arctic. Ensembles are pretty blah on the EPO, though that doesn't mean much now. The Cleveland Superbomb/Superstorm 93 both had a sharp drop in the epo due to the amp(then a quick rise) for example. I remember a big sign of the February 09 bust was the lack of tank in the epo, telling us the energy wasn't gonna have the stuff for what the Ops were showing. 

The strength of teleconnection indices isn't determined by the downstream storm threat

Got bored today and crunched some numbers. Since 1980 here's Toronto's snowstorm frequency (by amount).

15cm (6") + = 1.65 per winter

20cm (8") + = 1.02 per winter

25cm (10") + = 0.49 per winter (so basically 1 per 2 winters)

30cm (12") + = 0.2 per winter (1 per 5 winters)

I don't know if you saw the above that SSC posted over in the Canada thread, but surprisingly Toronto doesn't make out much better than us down here.

Just one of those winters. Snow climo overall sucks outside of lake belts in this part of the world anyways. KFWA averages one 6 inch snowfall a year.

I don't know if you saw the above that SSC posted over in the Canada thread, but surprisingly Toronto doesn't make out much better than us down here.

I'm always surprised when out of towners are surprised by our snowfall ineptitude.

When you build a city on the windward side of a Great lake, at the base of a ridge to the west that downslopes, in the middle of the W of the Apps synoptic dead-zone, this is the kind of crap you have to endure. 

Rare JB vid this morning. Basically thinks his Feb being the worst month of the winter call ain't gonna happen. Hints that we get one more cold shot Feb 5th thru 15 then it's over. Unusual to see him wave a white flag like that on winter.

All hail MORCH!

Good. The sooner we end this misery th better. Bring on an early spring.

Good. The sooner we end this misery th better. Bring on an early spring.

also believes the next storm will be west of the apps....  which is also kind of what the models are hinting at around day 10ish.   I'm sure we'll be too far east so probably a nice shot for the central sub would be my guess. 

Archived