Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep on trolling. No one hopes for cold weather in April that can screw up vegetation, we have played that game enough over the last 10 to 20 years.

Come on - Jonger is just responding to the trolling and annoying posts from Illinois Wedges, who keeps posting about early spring, torches, and severe weather in a Winter thread. 

If you want to talk about Morch, severe storms, and flowers blooming in February...then why not create a separate thread or keep it in banter?? 

Agree with RC's thoughts - need to sort through the volatility for awhile - which means, for now, probably best to look at ensembles instead of op runs.

The 384 hr GFS is about as accurate as the Farmers Almanac.

I usually draw the line around the 240 hr timeframe.

Saukville shows me models that go out months and months...  :)

Something to watch.  I'm not sure i want any sort of heatwave in Feb...trees will all be dead when the polar vortex comes back n March and then in April.

Trees are usually blooming by then as well, I'd say it is rare even half of the vegetation to be still dormant even into mid April.

The last 3 years the trees didnt bloom until early May (except for a few isolated early ones)....and then on 2012 they began blooming in late March. Overall...id say late April is a good average.

Sun angle has a lot to do with whether or not trees leave dormancy. Ever go to north/central Florida during winter? Trees mostly go barren, grass goes mostly dormant, it's not because of the temp but because of plant genetics multi million year adaptations to seasonal variations in solar intensity and duration. A feb thaw or even mini torch won't do much harm. It's a lot more harmful as we get into March where solar intensity can get things going, but still early enough the pv is alive and well and come pay a visit afterward.

Read this:

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/winter_dormancy_and_chilling_in_woody_plants

This ain't Florida!!!

Sun angle has a lot to do with whether or not trees leave dormancy. Ever go to north/central Florida during winter? Trees mostly go barren, grass goes mostly dormant, it's not because of the temp but because of plant genetics multi million year adaptations to seasonal variations in solar intensity and duration. A feb thaw or even mini torch won't do much harm. It's a lot more harmful as we get into March where solar intensity can get things going, but still early enough the pv is alive and well and come pay a visit afterward.

I seen Chinease Elms leave dormacy in late December back home in Iowa one time when it got very warm.

There was a definite signal for a potential sub forum wide storm in the day 10-12 timeframe on the 0z EPS. 12z op runs at least hinting at it as well. This coincides with when the PV tries to relax some. Always have to watch when cold comes and goes for a storm. We'll see how quickly this threat disintigrates :lol:

There was a definite signal for a potential sub forum wide storm in the day 10-12 timeframe on the 0z EPS. 12z op runs at least hinting at it as well. This coincides with when the PV tries to relax some. Always have to watch when cold comes and goes for a storm. We'll see how quickly this threat disintigrates :lol:

I'll give it about 3 days before it vanishes.

18z GFS for around and after Valentines Day. :mapsnow:

This is the type of storm I can see working out more than a cutter.  Cutters always seem to disappoint one way or the other for many of us.  Too much WAA, huge dry slot, convection robbing moisture, etc.  I'll take a hybrid clipper type system over a cutter.  

Archived