• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

Surprisingly, based on how ensembles have trended recently, the 12/30 (which is now in typically most reliable range of the model) monthly CFS run backed off the cool anomalies for January it had in its previous few daily runs. But not the all out torch it was showing several days ago. Not sure what to think, maybe if PNA northwest flow trajectories are more downslopish, western parts of sub get a bunch of days with near/slightly below normal 850/925 temps once we melt the snow/sleet, the dryness and sun will result in near to above normal highs. Overall doesn't appear to be an exciting pattern for winter prospects shaping up, unless downwind of the lakes, though wouldn't be surprised if a few as yet unmodeled clippers occur and as a few previous posts mentioned, maybe some better potential for eastern/southeastern parts of the sub. Hopefully the dry pattern doesn't lock in for the whole month.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sucks that the PNA is not doing us favors, but the turn to colder sort of snuck up on us (everyone was thinking mid-late Jan). Weve already had one nice snowstorm in Nov, had the big dog last year, and record snowstorminess the year before. I want snowstorms like anyone else, but honestly, after this abortion of a December I have to go with getting winter FIRST. Let the lakes and ponds start freezing and the ski resorts start to open. If other areas cash in more than us, so be it. Give me white ground and Ill be happy in the mean time. I will be disappointed if we get no more big snowstorms but that is a question that cant be answered for 4 more months. We went from torch in Nov to an instant crazy snowstorm, insane torch in Dec and then during our two seasonal days, we had a bit of snow. Usually you have to endure a handful of bitter cold winter days with no snow before you get the goods, we havent had that yet this year. With the torch on the way out, I couldnt be more happy. Plus our climo saves us when its cold and usually gives us SOME snow whereas not having to rely soley on a favorable storm track.

NOW....if we are sitting here one month from now and theres been plenty of cold but almost no snow (which is possible but unlikely), then you will see my tune change drastically. I get the people who dont like "cold and dry", Im sure thats not really anyones preference anyway. Im about snow way more than cold, but you cant get snow without cold :lol:.

;) You certainly know your SEMI winter patterns

12Z and 18Z have been hinting at a nice winter storm for Southern MI in Mid-January 

Yeah, hopeful it's sniffing more than glue on our behalf

Sure wouldn't mind a few sneaky C-1 LES events during the ZZZZ mode cool down for a little stat padding and chemical plows. At this point getting a few inches of frost into the ground would be a good step into the winter mode. If not, by mid month we'll all be shopping for a case or two of O'douls premium.

Surprisingly, based on how ensembles have trended recently, the 12/30 (which is now in typically most reliable range of the model) monthly CFS run backed off the cool anomalies for January it had in its previous few daily runs. But not the all out torch it was showing several days ago. Not sure what to think, maybe if PNA northwest flow trajectories are more downslopish, western parts of sub get a bunch of days with near/slightly below normal 850/925 temps once we melt the snow/sleet, the dryness and sun will result in near to above normal highs. Overall doesn't appear to be an exciting pattern for winter prospects shaping up, unless downwind of the lakes, though wouldn't be surprised if a few as yet unmodeled clippers occur and as a few previous posts mentioned, maybe some better potential for eastern/southeastern parts of the sub. Hopefully the dry pattern doesn't lock in for the whole month.

This is what grosses me out, regardless of what the 2m temps are showing; dry, dry, dry.

F1tt0Nr.gif

At least California is wet

Things can change but all things considered, pretty decent model/ensemble agreement on a low pressure in the Ohio Valley at day 9-10. 

Maybe 2. Looks like a west to east moving system along the Ohio River followed by a low coming from the TX/LA coast as arctic air is making its way into most of the subforum.

on the bright side, there are several individual eps members that now show active snow storm tracks beyond day 11.... every place from lower great lakes to deep south and in between. 

That, and the trend to keep temperatures seasonably cold or at the worst a little above through mid month. I can't remember the last time our entire subform had an "average" look, let alone some blue! 

814temp.new.gif

Nice to see models trending with a more negative -epo and less negative nao/less positive pna. They keep the PNA/NAO in the -1 to +1 range which is about as good as it gets for us while the EPO tanks.

Could change back ( always have this worry when mjo heads into phase 8-1 ) so keep a eye.

What does this even mean... I mean honestly that makes zero sense especially since the GFS doesn't truncate at all...

Speaking of that, do you happen to know the development details of the GFS now? Did they keep it in Fortran or transition over to a new language? I have a project I'm working on that relies on some of the original code structure...

Speaking of that, do you happen to know the development details of the GFS now? Did they keep it in Fortran or transition over to a new language? I have a project I'm working on that relies on some of the original code structure...

Unfortunately I don't know that, I am not too keen on the coding that goes into the models.

Dark blues in the east and dark reds in the west is all we saw the past 2 winters. You hardly ever saw anything but red in the west, no matter what time of year. But now we haven't seen much red at all in the past 2 months or so. It still feels really, really weird.

medium-range models and ensembles show a change to fairly strong negative AO and negative EPO. Perhaps a trough will set up in the Great Lakes and/or Northeast. The recent 12z ECMWF has quite a bit of cold air in the Midwest on day-10.

Something worth watching in the long-term is the signal on CFS to shift the -OLR east around mid-month, and GEFS is showing a relatively strong signal for the Aleutian low to shift east.

5fixyp4.png

9mJloDD.gif

I'm not sure if Euro ensembles are catching on to the same thing. It's something worth watching though.

Archived