• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

Hmm maybe our climates are different. I do get plenty sun, rain, wind, and clouds. Maybe some find these exciting. Tornadoes and blizzards are extremely rare in northern Indiana. So the lack of extreme wx makes it is overall boring to me but I'm glad you and michsnowoptimist enjoy it. Just an opinion.

Lol 90% of the time I'm more realistic the pessimists.

Severe is not my thing, I don't care to ever experience a tornado. Blizzards are cool of course but I prefer my snow somewhat more even.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm maybe our climates are different. I do get plenty sun, rain, wind, and clouds. Maybe some find these exciting. Tornadoes and blizzards are extremely rare in northern Indiana. So the lack of extreme wx makes it is overall boring to me but I'm glad you and michsnowoptimist enjoy it. Just an opinion.

I guess it depends on how you define boring.

The midwest has the most "active" weather of any part of the country.

But yeah, if you're looking for extreme weather (especially in N. IN / OH / S. MI), you're better off living in the Plains unfortunately. 

I guess it depends on how you define boring.

The midwest has the most "active" weather of any part of the country.

But yeah, if you're looking for extreme weather (especially in N. IN / OH / S. MI), you're better off living in the Plains unfortunately.

That's pretty much what I was saying. I'd love to experience a Plains blizzard (but not the long stretches of nothing). And if I was out there a Plains tornado would be cool, but I'd never want to see one where I live :lol:

:lmao: :lmao:

I see that **** town of Warsaw is finally getting to you.

I see this forum as equal parts weather, education, facts and clown maps fiction. The rest is the comedy sector which at times takes prevalence over the fore mentioned...

As for the long term cold forecast. The WPO has a forecast of zero For Jan 09. MJO flutters in sector 7 and the PNA +. This has supressed LES written all over it.

Come on, you know better

post-14-0-58691800-1451151854_thumb.png

I take it all back people. Happy Holidays. Can't wait for the next model run.

You are not from here are you? Regardless I get what you are saying. With blizzards/huge snowfall totals this area does suck away from the lake belts. Outside of the big dump last year it has been a epic boring stretch.

Most wx is very routine in these parts. Yes you get the occasional severe outbreak to break the stride but normally it is the same routine but this especially applies in winter. Reasons why 78/67 is still king while most other locales ( i-95 especially ) have more recently crowned newer kings. VERY little surprise in the weather around here in winter atleast with big snow dumps. 

And yes it has been a little better up here where i am at vs N.IN ( where he is at ) and so i am not complaining. It can be hard especially after such a long boring stretch..

You are not from here are you? Regardless I get what you are saying. With blizzards/huge snowfall totals this area does suck away from the lake belts. Outside of the big dump last year it has been a epic boring stretch.

Most wx is very routine in these parts. Yes you get the occasional severe outbreak to break the stride but normally it is the same routine but this especially applies in winter. Reasons why 78/67 is still king while most other locales ( i-95 especially ) have more recently crowned newer kings. VERY little surprise in the weather around here in winter atleast with big snow dumps. 

And yes it has been a little better up here where i am at vs N.IN ( where he is at ) and so i am not complaining. It can be hard especially after such a long boring stretch..

Keep in mind the extended beyond this next system looks to be more of the same and thus boring. Need to lose that +PNA and keep the NAO in check.. Just need a -EPO and keep the NAO and PNA Neutral..

I guess we all read posts differently. I didn't take his post as being about extremes, but rather stretches of boring. Every region gets periods of "nothing", it would seem that the Plains and east coast have more stretches of boring than we do.

Anyway I'm welcoming the cold but hoping for the PNA relaxes as Geos mentioned. So we don't want a -PNA but rather neutral?

I guess we all read posts differently. I didn't take his post as being about extremes, but rather stretches of boring. Every region gets periods of "nothing", it would seem that the Plains and east coast have more stretches of boring than we do.

Anyway I'm welcoming the cold but hoping for the PNA relaxes as Geos mentioned. So we don't want a -PNA but rather neutral?

If we have a -EPO, a negative PNA isn't a deal breaker and could acutally be a source of moisture for the region out of the gulf.

If we have a -EPO, a negative PNA isn't a deal breaker and could acutally be a source of moisture for the region out of the gulf.

We just have to worry about outcomes like we have coming early next week. I prefer not to have to worry about a SLP tracking over head or to my nw! They do zero for me. Basically you are rolling the dice with a -PNA. Same with a -NAO as you can cash in BIG on occasion and thus see blizz of 78. One has to be very patient though to be rewarded. :P But yeah a -PNA is better then a +PNA from a action standpoint. 

It sucks that the PNA is not doing us favors, but the turn to colder sort of snuck up on us (everyone was thinking mid-late Jan). Weve already had one nice snowstorm in Nov, had the big dog last year, and record snowstorminess the year before. I want snowstorms like anyone else, but honestly, after this abortion of a December I have to go with getting winter FIRST. Let the lakes and ponds start freezing and the ski resorts start to open. If other areas cash in more than us, so be it. Give me white ground and Ill be happy in the mean time. I will be disappointed if we get no more big snowstorms but that is a question that cant be answered for 4 more months. We went from torch in Nov to an instant crazy snowstorm, insane torch in Dec and then during our two seasonal days, we had a bit of snow. Usually you have to endure a handful of bitter cold winter days with no snow before you get the goods, we havent had that yet this year. With the torch on the way out, I couldnt be more happy. Plus our climo saves us when its cold and usually gives us SOME snow whereas not having to rely soley on a favorable storm track.

NOW....if we are sitting here one month from now and theres been plenty of cold but almost no snow (which is possible but unlikely), then you will see my tune change drastically. I get the people who dont like "cold and dry", Im sure thats not really anyones preference anyway. Im about snow way more than cold, but you cant get snow without cold :lol:.

It sucks that the PNA is not doing us favors, but the turn to colder sort of snuck up on us (everyone was thinking mid-late Jan). Weve already had one nice snowstorm in Nov, had the big dog last year, and record snowstorminess the year before. I want snowstorms like anyone else, but honestly, after this abortion of a December I have to go with getting winter FIRST. Let the lakes and ponds start freezing and the ski resorts start to open. If other areas cash in more than us, so be it. Give me white ground and Ill be happy in the mean time. I will be disappointed if we get no more big snowstorms but that is a question that cant be answered for 4 more months. We went from torch in Nov to an instant crazy snowstorm, insane torch in Dec and then during our two seasonal days, we had a bit of snow. Usually you have to endure a handful of bitter cold winter days with no snow before you get the goods, we havent had that yet this year. With the torch on the way out, I couldnt be more happy. Plus our climo saves us when its cold and usually gives us SOME snow whereas not having to rely soley on a favorable storm track.

NOW....if we are sitting here one month from now and theres been plenty of cold but almost no snow (which is possible but unlikely), then you will see my tune change drastically. I get the people who dont like "cold and dry", Im sure thats not really anyones preference anyway. Im about snow way more than cold, but you cant get snow without cold :lol:.

cold w/o snow is like drinking O'Doul's.

These patterns will result in snowpack IMBY, it's not a possibility, it's a guarantee.

Lol, I was trying to figure out if I was reading a rant or a meltdown myself. I was like, Josh - undergoing a meltdown...? No that can't be, he won't let one month of a bad pattern get him down!

:lol:

On the polar vortex front, winds in the high latitudes are forecasted to crash down to more normal levels next week.

zonal-winds-jan.png

Got it from this blog post.

http://www.lightinthestorm.com/

lol that wasnt even close to a meltdown. Guess my typed words conveyed the wrong message, kind of like when you text someone and they take it the wrong way. It was some actual thought about where we are, have been, and are headed. A turn to colder happening 2-3 weeks earlier than expected would be an odd time for a meltdown. Usually when I start to hear the "useless cold and dry" posts, it isnt long until there is snow on the ground :)

lol that wasnt even close to a meltdown. Guess my typed words conveyed the wrong message, kind of like when you text someone and they take it the wrong way. It was some actual thought about where we are, have been, and are headed. A turn to colder happening 2-3 weeks earlier than expected would be an odd time for a meltdown. Usually when I start to hear the "useless cold and dry" posts, it isnt long until there is snow on the ground :)

I have no doubt that areas of MI will see snow soon. In the meantime, sit back, relax, and have an O'Douls.

Archived