Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

wxbell (use with caution)

says euro is actually trying to put down snow on the n/w flanks of the 9-10 day system.   Pretty far south with the low too.    I imagine it ends up further north and probably warmer, but it's the first possible thing to watch we've had for this part of the sub all winter.   The big low sits there so there could be even more cold sector precip later.....but now we're extrapolating a wxbell map   :blink:

post-622-0-50988300-1450552191_thumb.jpg

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you remember, Euro was the only one showing HJ not making landfall on the east coast and it was right so I wouldn't discount this so easily.

True about the hurricane but I'm not sure that really matters.  More important I think is that we're still well over a week out and this run of the ECMWF is well east of previous runs, so it's not like there's consistency within its solution yet.

says euro is actually trying to put down snow on the n/w flanks of the 9-10 day system.   Pretty far south with the low too.    I imagine it ends up further north and probably warmer, but it's the first possible thing to watch we've had for this part of the sub all winter.   The big low sits there so there could be even more cold sector precip later.....but now we're extrapolating a wxbell map   :blink:

This is similar to the 12z Euro parallel run yesterday. 

If you remember, Euro was the only one showing HJ not making landfall on the east coast and it was right so I wouldn't discount this so easily.

if this produces snow for someone I'd almost consider it a fluke snow in that it's not a storm which evolved after a pattern change to colder but rather produced a fluke snow during a milder pattern, (much like the November storm).    That's the best argument for hope from this one....fluke.

Indices continue to suck in this time frame as well, (positve AO and NAO), so this one will be like Helen Keller threading a needle with mittens on.

All that being said, it's the ONLY thing to watch...other than paint drying.

Sorry if this discussion is too far out for the medium-long range... just lemme know and I can move it elsewhere

--

Something to keep in mind when looking at the Stratosphere:

‘The Big Warm’ To Ease Off

PNT.pngSPACR-2C.pngPOTENTIAL RECORD WARMTH & STORMY - PATTERN ‘SHIFT’ FOR NEW YEAR SPACR-2C.pngPNT-END.png

Over the last few days, both the GFS, ECMWF and their respective ensembles have begun to forecast a pattern evolution/shift from the Pacific eastward into North America to begin by New Year's as a somewhat more ‘relaxed’ zonal-like (west-to-east) flow develops over the EPAC and then extends into the US, with a warmer, upper level ridge building into western Canada and the PAC NW. At the same time, upper level heights will fall to below normal levels across the southern most tier of states with above normal heights developing over the northernmost US and Canada during the first week in JAN. 

This pattern will result in below normal Temps over the southern US (though may not do much for the amazingly warm conditions in south Florida) and near to above normal Temps over the central and northern states . And while it is WAY TO SOON to know with high confidence, it's possible that another surge of very warm Temps could re-develop over the central and eastern US starting during the 2nd week in JAN as tropical forcing from the strong El Nino combined with an intensifying MJO impact the WX pattern at higher latitudes.

Finally, it’s worth noting that the very cold and strong polar vortex remains close to the North Pole, bottling up very cold air over the polar region, and none of the models show a change for at least 2-3 weeks – if at all. However, the ECMWF Ensembles do show strong warming in the stratosphere over the EPAC and nosing into the westernmost portions of North America during the first week in JAN. This MAY indicate a strong TROF formation in the west during JAN – lending additional support for another warm event developing during JAN in the East.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/SteveGregory/the-big-warm-to-ease-off

out of 51 ens members only like 5 or 6 show anything remotely similar to the OP run regarding snow with the day 9-10 storm.   The vast majority show snow much further nw, and even then not very impressive.

As long as April doesn't have any significant cold blasts, otherwise that would be bad for the fruit industry, as much as I'd love another Morch too.

Is it possible in your view to even have an average (or above average) April temperature wise after a Morch since every time there has been an extremely warm March, April was below every time since record keeping started (that's what I read 3 years ago)? Everything seems to be hinged on equilibrium so is it feasible for the pattern to keep it up til say May or until its far enough in where frost shouldn't be a problem?

I definitely wouldn't write off the end of the month system for snowstorm potential. The models do a terrible job of handling those southern stream cut-off lows. 

GFS and GGEM are improved as well, though not as much as the EURO.

Congrats to those lake belt folks who finally cashed in! Bo it looks like kewanee got raked! Waiting for a decent advisory criteria event, as of today my total stands at 1.5" and it looks to end the month that way.

went into the Keweenaw today and went as far to the tip as I could before the road turned into a path basically.  As I traveled the Keweenaw, it was snowing lightly all the way from my house to there and I saw snow depths that ranged from 2-20".

Most of the lakes in the northern UP have finally froze over.

Lake Bailey between Copper Harbor and Eagle Harbor.

I'll pass on Morch... Especially since we just got robbed out of December. Torch April, spare March.

Morch was a disaster in this state. Especially on the west side. I will pass on a Morch. Foolish to even want something like that again. It's like hoping for freezing temperatures in June.

Is it possible in your view to even have an average (or above average) April temperature wise after a Morch since every time there has been an extremely warm March, April was below every time since record keeping started (that's what I read 3 years ago)? Everything seems to be hinged on equilibrium so is it feasible for the pattern to keep it up til say May or until its far enough in where frost shouldn't be a problem?

Are you asking if we'd have a frostless April after a Morch? I think it would be impossible to have that happen. Eventually there would be a cold snap at some point maybe even in May.

Archived