• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

And also better wave separtion. But I'm still not confident that will happen.

The storm behind the weekend storm is starting to look a bit more interesting. Personally I think I'll be rooting for the lead system to track as far northwest as possible as that should open the door to a farther northwest track for the system afterward.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JB was mentioning the January 1978 storm a while back I think.  Even if this storm pans out, it has a looong way to go to get to something resembling 1978 on the models.  I think a more appropriate comparison (in terms of setup) may be the January 5, 2014 storm.

JB was mentioning the January 1978 storm a while back I think.  Even if this storm pans out, it has a looong way to go to get to something resembling 1978 on the models.  I think a more appropriate comparison (in terms of setup) may be the January 5, 2014 storm.

he did bring it up a week or so again....but since then has been going with a gulf to midatlantic coast track.   Btw, euro says what storm?

still too generous

Doesn't he do that once or twice every season?  

Here's January 5, 2014 and the upcoming setup as progged by the GFS.  We'll have to see how it trends but as modeled right now, the 2014 storm was one of the first that came to mind.  I definitely think it's a way better comparison than 1978, though that is not saying a lot.

post-14-0-85048700-1451933300_thumb.png

post-14-0-01619600-1451933310_thumb.png

Here's January 5, 2014 and the upcoming setup as progged by the GFS.  We'll have to see how it trends but as modeled right now, the 2014 storm was one of the first that came to mind.  I definitely think it's a way better comparison than 1978, though that is not saying a lot.

attachicon.gif010515.png

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

This time though, we actually have a decent STJ at play also.

So a stronger/wetter storm than 1/5/14 also wouldn't surprise me, if everything lines up just right.

Lonnie Fisher at IWX mentioned a jan. '78 anlog in his disco this morning. Maybe this is where JB was getting it:

TEMPERATURES WILL BE TURNING COLDER EARLY NEXT WEEK. NCEP/WPC

MODELS AND OTHER MODELS WERE HAVING A HARD TIME HANDLING UPSTREAM

BLOCKING WITH ANOMALOUSLY STRONG FLOW DEVELOPING OVER THE NORTHERN

PACIFIC PER CPC/GFS ANALOGS. SO LOTS OF ENERGY WILL BE CUTTING

UNDER THE UPSTREAM RIDGE/BLOCK. THE ANALOG CORRELATION COEFFICIENT

WAS VERY HIGH...ALMOST 0.95...SO THE LARGE SCALE PATTERN APPEARS

MORE STABLE. AN ANALOG FROM JANUARY OF 1978 HAS SHOWN UP FOR THE

PAST 3 NIGHTS IN THIS PATTERN. AN ANALOG FROM JANUARY 1998 WAS

ALSO IN THE 10 TEN WHICH SUGGESTS A MORE ACTIVE PATTERN BEYOND THE

END OF THE PERIOD.

We could have hurricanes, tornadoes and frogs raining from the sky and the month would still suck at +10F.

Pretty sure most people hate -20˚C departures as well, aside from you. You've had 3 straight winters of money in the bank (like the folks in New England).

If you want that kind of cold, move to Yellowknife.

Archived