Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's stupid optimism but I have some optimism about that Saturday-Sunday storm. 

Yep. East pacific train timed with pv breakdown southeast toward area warrants concern for a decent mid Lat cyclone on leading edge of Arctic air. Something to watch at least.

In the same boat. The 18z GFS tried a little more to have better interaction between the srn stream wave and digging nrn stream ULL

Okay, if the three of you are optimistic, it's time to start paying attention.

Okay, if the three of you are optimistic, it's time to start paying attention.

Definitely something that can't be ruled out. 00z ECMWF last night was most bullish recent operational run and 18z GFS does try. Based on low # of individual members of the GEFS and EPS that have something meaningful for central/western parts of the subforum, seems like a lower probability scenario overall but worth monitoring. If something like 00z Euro last night does occur, we'll also need low level cold to surge in quick enough that run verbatim was marginal at best in the boundary layer for efficient accumulations. We'll see what the 00z runs do. Would like to see positive trends on the operational models and better ensemble support.

I vote to turn the 7-9th storm thread to the 7-10th storm thread. Two waves right together - makes sense. Just posted a map late on the 9th on there.

Eh but they are two separate systems especially if something like the 0z GFS verifies and two different swaths of accumulating snow. 

I'd say make a new thread for the Saturday second system if we see more models jump towards the 0z GFS solution over the next 24hrs

Eh but they are two separate systems especially if something like the 0z GFS verifies and two different swaths of accumulating snow. 

I'd say make a new thread for the Saturday second system if we see more models jump towards the 0z GFS solution over the next 24hrs

That sounds good.

GEM ensembles.

2016010600_054_E1_north@america_I_ENSEMB

2016010600_054_E1_north@america_I_ENSEMB

I think looking forward this might be the best opportunity for snow we have seen in some time.  Up until now the southern branch has always brought in a marginal mixed bag of slop for most of us. I'm looking forward to the arrival of the first clipper of the season. Seems the cold looks to lock in for at least 10 days or so given the MJO AO and NAO. 

Anyone notice how the GEFS forecast of the MJO finally getting into phase 8? Which the Euro has continued to show the last two weeks.

This now leads to a much colder 12z GFS op run and ensemble mean as well

http://climate.cod.edu/data/forecast/animations/12Z-20160107_gfsUS_850_temp.gif

Not to mention, blocking in the long range in Greenland looks very strong, PNA remains consistently positive...things are looking up.

Not to mention, blocking in the long range in Greenland looks very strong, PNA remains consistently positive...things are looking up.

I don't know, maybe for more consistently at least seasonable cold and ocnl clippers? But for more bigger synoptic storms, looking at prior moderate - strong Niños with strong blocking in J-F, 1955-56, 1965-66, 2002-03, those were low snowfall in Chicago. The 09-10 Niño on the other hand had over 50", but it was a very different episode in that it was a Modoki vs the current basin wide Niño.

I don't know, maybe for more consistently at least seasonable cold and ocnl clippers? But for more bigger synoptic storms, looking at prior moderate - strong Niños with strong blocking in J-F, 1955-56, 1965-66, 2002-03, those were low snowfall in Chicago. The 09-10 Niño on the other hand had over 50", but it was a very different episode in that it was a Modoki vs the current basin wide Niño.

Honestly, I'm a fan of seasonable cold and frequent clippers to keep the ground white. I don't need the big dogs, especially if they disappear after several days of temps in the mid 40s and rain.

Anyone notice how the GEFS forecast of the MJO finally getting into phase 8? Which the Euro has continued to show the last two weeks.

This now leads to a much colder 12z GFS op run and ensemble mean as well

http://climate.cod.edu/data/forecast/animations/12Z-20160107_gfsUS_850_temp.gif

Noticed that.

That was one cold loop.

Both the AO and NAO look to drop even more now.

Polar vortex is a mess now. It's been pushed off into the North Atlantic.

ecmwf30f24.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

ao.sprd2.gif

Archived