• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2015-16 Disco

I think he meant that most of snow fell from late January onward last year. Yes, we had a few inches in the LSV around Thanksgiving. Then we got a lucky 2 inches of wrap-around snow near Dec. 10th. But then we went about a month with No snow until a clipper hit around Jan. 10th. MDT only had around 5 inches total at the end of Dec. last year.

About 30 inches of the almost 40 inch seasonal total fell in a 6 week period from late Jan to the first 2 weeks of March.

Yes - my earlier post was referencing that most of the snow (and extreme cold) was later in Jan into Feb (and March).

Sorry for any confusion.

And December was "warmish"  - again, not comparable to the torch.

http://w2.weather.gov/climate/getclimate.php?wfo=ctp

Ah my bad, I misunderstood. Yeah no snow but it was at least cold! Today feels a bit like winter. The next few days will be nice before the brief warmup.

Anyone know the latest MDT recorded its first snowfall?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are we headed towards boring and coolish weather? Hasn't been fun to even track anything in months.

This week might be a little boring in terms of actual seasonal, but dry weather. In terms of storm tracking, it doesn't get any better than the look of the pattern coming up between January 10-20th. Many of the best posters in the Mid-Atlantic & NYC forums, along with DT & Joe Bastardi, are fired up about the potential of the pattern that the models are showing. I think this week will be more exciting each day as the possible storms get closer to reality.

This week might be a little boring in terms of actual seasonal, but dry weather. In terms of storm tracking, it doesn't get any better than the look of the pattern coming up between January 10-20th. Many of the best posters in the Mid-Atlantic & NYC forums, along with DT & Joe Bastardi, are fired up about the potential of the pattern that the models are showing. I think this week will be more exciting each day as the possible storms get closer to reality.

Been burned too many times by potential and hype for storms in the metro areas...

Been burned too many times by potential and hype for storms in the metro areas...

We've paid our dues with our horrible December.

It can't get any worse than what we just went through.

Sure, some of us will get fringed, & others will be in the jackpot,

But the tracking & anticipation of each event is why most of us are here.

We should have plenty to track with the new pattern this month.

What a month...

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY
845 AM EST FRI JAN 01 2016

...DECEMBER 2015 RECORDS SET AT AVOCA PA...

THE AVERAGE MEAN DECEMBER TEMPERATURE AT AVOCA WAS 44.4 DEGREES.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 38.7 SET IN 1923.

THE AVERAGE MAXIMUM DECEMBER TEMPERATURE WAS 50.7 DEGREES. THIS
BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 45.4 DEGREES SET IN 2006.

THE AVERAGE MINIMUM DECEMBER TEMPERATURE WAS 38.1 DEGREES.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 32.5 DEGREES SET IN 1923.

TEMPERATURE REMAINED ABOVE FREEZING ON 22 DAYS. THIS BREAKS THE OLD
RECORD OF 15 DAYS SET IN DECEMBER 1984.

MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES REACHED 50 DEGREES OR HIGHER ON 17 DAYS. THIS
BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 12 DAYS SET IN DECEMBER 1982.

The 12z Euro Ensemble mean looks fantastic for the period around the 10th.

The mean low track is off the Coast of VA heading north. A few ensemble members really crank up a strong lows in the 970's.The best part is that just about all of the members show a storm off the east coast in this time period. Over 30 of the 51 members show at least a couple of inches on the ground in CTP by the end of the 15 day run. The mean snow map has increased amounts to a range of 4 to 6 inches in CTP. The 2 inch line on the mean snow map now begins in North Carolina! The last few runs have continued to intensify the drum beat that winter will be here soon!

The 12z Euro Ensemble mean looks fantastic for the period around the 10th.

The mean low track is off the Coast of VA heading north. A few ensemble members really crank up a strong lows in the 970's.The best part is that just about all of the members show a storm off the east coast in this time period. Over 30 of the 51 members show at least a couple of inches on the ground in CTP by the end of the 15 day run. The mean snow map has increased amounts to a range of 4 to 6 inches in CTP. The 2 inch line on the mean snow map now begins in North Carolina! The last few runs have continued to intensify the drum beat that winter will be here soon!

The spread is awful for both storms and the 850 temps are marginal as heck. Really hard to be excited about this pattern unless you live in the lake effect region.

The Canadian model last night showed 20 inches of snow at MDT by

January 11th. It was posted in the January Mid atlantic forum last night for those that want to check it out. Sure, the Canadian might not be the best especially at this range, but at least the storms are showing on All models . Most of us would be happy with less than half of what the Canadian showed last night.

The last two posts I have seen from Eskimo Joe, were in support of a "troll account" that called DT as monkey wizard because he is talking about the "pattern change" and how it may result in a potential east coast storm and then the above post where "its hard to get excited about this pattern unless you're in the lake effect regions".

I've seen almost five times as many reg taggers supporting the pattern shift and potential for multiple opportunities at widespread snow as I have red/yellow taggers simply downplaying it. Actually, I've only seen one. And he's given very little reason as to 'why'.

So my question to you is 'how'; How are you a pro forecaster?

I've been thinking about this whole negativity thing on these boards. I don't like all the naysayers more than anyone else, but when you stop and think about it, my area averages one double digit snowstorm every ten years. If you consider how many times any one computer model spits out a snowstorm in any given season, let alone over ten years, realistically it's a safe call to be doom and gloom. I believe it was just two years ago the vaunted Euro gave me blizzard after blizzard only to snatch it away every single time. And I've also read over the past several years where many "non-hype" red taggers were excited about an upcoming pattern, only to see it not produce. 

Bottom line...it's like a wet blanket when someone repeatedly says what none of us want to here. But at the end of the day; unfortunately, those people end up being right more often than not. 

It pained me saying that. 

I don't care about that. If you look at the "snowfall prediction" thread, my guesses (and that is the operative term for anybody, especially a non-met novice enthusiast like myself) were less than a pro forecaster's and every meteorologist on the forum. If somebody comes and bangs the "negativity drum" and provides in-depth, informative and educational rationale for their opinion, I will appreciate that and so will everybody else. Ultimately, we're here to learn.

But what is happening here, and in the Mid-Atlantic forum is that you have actual meteorologists and pro forecasters providing interpretations of model guidance and providing information that they're basing off their educations and you have clowns like this dope coming on here and producing two-to-three sentence responses that provide incredibly limited amounts of resource in a tone that can be interpreted by almost everybody as inflammatory, and for what? This clown posted a response recently that read as simply "You poor weenies". Okay, they're weenies. That's fine. tell them why they're weenies and go on about your life.

I don't mean to poke the bear, but the last month or so it seems like this happens every time one or two members of this forum come on here and post something that they feel may be encouraging to the snowbirds and their parades get rained upon by some tyrant who COULD TELL THEM WHY THEY'RE WRONG, but simply chooses not to.

That's when I begin to question your legitimacy.

And oh look, I found the soapbox that I resolved to lose this year...

I don't care about that. If you look at the "snowfall prediction" thread, my guesses (and that is the operative term for anybody, especially a non-met novice enthusiast like myself) were less than a pro forecaster's and every meteorologist on the forum. If somebody comes and bangs the "negativity drum" and provides in-depth, informative and educational rationale for their opinion, I will appreciate that and so will everybody else. Ultimately, we're here to learn. But what is happening here, and in the Mid-Atlantic forum is that you have actual meteorologists and pro forecasters providing interpretations of model guidance and providing information that they're basing off their educations and you have clowns like this dope coming on here and producing two-to-three sentence responses that provide incredibly limited amounts of resource in a tone that can be interpreted by almost everybody as inflammatory, and for what? This clown posted a response recently that read as simply "You poor weenies". Okay, they're weenies. That's fine. tell them why they're weenies and go on about your life. I don't mean to poke the bear, but the last month or so it seems like this happens every time one or two members of this forum come on here and post something that they feel may be encouraging to the snowbirds and their parades get rained upon by some tyrant who COULD TELL THEM WHY THEY'RE WRONG, but simply chooses not to. That's when I begin to question your legitimacy. And oh look, I found the soapbox that I resolved to lose this year...

I happen to agree with you...I was just trying to be diplomatic.  :)

Archived