CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
November 2015 Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only are temperature records in jeopardy mid-week, but as mentioned earlier, the end of the week could be a "second season" severe event, especially on the Euro. With this consistency for several days, I'm starting pay attention.

Yeah the Euro certainly looked impressive with respect to dynamics. The question will be instability as is the case at this time of year but there was a look of a 1-2 punch next week with a system Friday and Sunday.

2008 was the last November there was back to back 70s here the first week of the month.

A week later flurries were flying, week after that Chicago had it's first measurable snow and then winter pretty much set in after that.

Need a nice stretch of weather to get the yard work finished for the season.

2008 was the last November there was back to back 70s here the first week of the month.

A week later flurries were flying, week after that Chicago had it's first measurable snow and then winter pretty much set in after that.

Need a nice stretch of weather to get the yard work finished for the season.

Unfortunately, I don't think 2008 was an El Nino year like this one. I'm of the belief that it will be a mild December. The only year I can find in which a mild November and October was followed by a colder than average December is 1963.

Unfortunately, I don't think 2008 was an El Nino year like this one. I'm of the belief that it will be a mild December. The only year I can find in which a mild November and October was followed by a colder than average December is 1963.

I was just trying to find a case of back to back 70s during the opening week of November. Went back to 2000 and that was the only year in recent memory.

Prior to the super El Niño of 82-83 and 97-98 there was no real sustained warmth in early November around here.

Looking forward to 70s all week.

got a week of mid 50's coming here.  bonus time to work outside... last year snow started on Halloween and never really left.

MQT noted as much in the beginning of their long term AFD today... winter just around the corner

MUCH OF THIS PERIOD WILL BE GREAT FOR THOSE FOLKS WHO NEED TO FINISH

GETTING SOME ODDS AND ENDS CLEANED UP BEFORE THE SNOW STARTS REALLY

FALLING FOR THE SEASON. THE S WORD /SNOW/ LOOKS TO HOLD OUT UNTIL AT

LEAST THURSDAY NIGHT.

Models showing poor mixing potential the next couple days.  If correct, warming would be held in check (still going to be well above average)

No surprise there, given that we're now dealing with a November sun angle and it gets harder trying to mix out the colder air that settles in at the surface with such short daylight hours. 

That said, today is overachieving locally with full sunshine and a strong downsloping wind (mid 60s versus the low 60s that were expected).

Still 5 days out but for multiple days the Euro has been showing a significant system pushing through the area with favorable timing on Friday with respectable QLCS potential. The SPC hasn't really bought in but I wouldn't be too surprised if we get a D4 slight if the models come into agreement. The GFS has been all over the place but up until 84 hours out, the Euro matches the NAM very well. It'll be interesting to see if the NAM stays in-line with the Euro or the GFS over the next day or so.

With Indian Summer arriving, figured Id check Detroits November 70F climo.

~Detroit has hit 70F+ in November 54 times on record (141 years). 35 different Novembers had a temp of 70F+.

~The warmest November temp on record is 81F on Nov 1, 1950.

~The most 70F+ days in a November is 3, and this happened in 1944, 1964, 1975, 1978, 1990, & 2005.

~The decade with the least 70F days in November was the 1890s, when not a single 70F was recorded (warmest ).

~The decade with the most 70F days in November was the 1970s, when 10 times hit 70F+.

Fun fact: 21 of the 35 winters were colder than normal.

Still 5 days out but for multiple days the Euro has been showing a significant system pushing through the area with favorable timing on Friday with respectable QLCS potential. The SPC hasn't really bought in but I wouldn't be too surprised if we get a D4 slight if the models come into agreement. The GFS has been all over the place but up until 84 hours out, the Euro matches the NAM very well. It'll be interesting to see if the NAM stays in-line with the Euro or the GFS over the next day or so.

Stronger system would bring better low level moisture farther north (as is, it's not bad for this time of year) but we'll have to see about mid level lapse rates/instability.

Not a fan of the positive tilt trough (GGEM has it also), but I suppose nothing can be ruled out.

An Ohio event? Or just the general area. Sadly, I only have access to the free models till January

Indiana & Ohio primarily as it sits right now but I wouldn't consider Illinois, Kentucky, or Michigan out of it. As powerball noted though, there's no negative tilt...just pretty robust shear and helicity numbers. If we can get CAPE over 250 I can see a low-topped line happening. Reminds me of a less intense version of the Halloween 2013 system.

Archived