joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simply incredible. We have 30's to 70's, snow to hail stones the size of softballs, breezy conditions to tornadoes.......all within our one state. Crazy day for NC for sure!

Meanwhile drifts in Arkansas were several feet high. Doesn't make NC seem too crazy after all.

Queen Wilhelmina State Park 9.0 2500 feet

Mt Magazine State Park 8.0 2600 feet

Deer 6.5 2375 feet

witts Spring 5.8 1855 feet

Dennard 10 WSW 5.5 1740 feet

Jasper 11 S 5.5 2100 feet

Mt Sherman 5.0 2200 feet

Fallsville 1 NNE 4.5 2234 feet

Saint Joe 2.7 NNW 4.0 1263 feet

Botkinburg 3 NE 3.0 1295 feet

Harrison 3.0 1132 feet

Marshall 2.8 951 feet

Ridgeway 2.5 1360 feet

Shirley 3 NNW 2.0 1260 feet

Viola 2.0 866 feet

Mountain View 4.7 SSW 1.2 985 feet

Hardy 1.0 400 feet

snowed lightly all night but nothing on the ground, sort of a dud for Buncombe County, thought we might see the ground covered at least.  :cry:  its amazing the county to our west and north some schools are closed and Buncombe has none on the ground at all,  can't quite figure that one.

snowed lightly all night but nothing on the ground, sort of a dud for Buncombe County, thought we might see the ground covered at least. :cry: its amazing the county to our west and north some schools are closed and Buncombe has none on the ground at all, can't quite figure that one.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but, I think down sloping has a little to do with it Asheville is 2000ft in areas, not much higher than mby elevation in McDowell of 1700.

snowed lightly all night but nothing on the ground, sort of a dud for Buncombe County, thought we might see the ground covered at least. :cry: its amazing the county to our west and north some schools are closed and Buncombe has none on the ground at all, can't quite figure that one.

Any accumulation would happen tonight as the second piece of energy moves through and surface temps drop below freezing.

as much snow as you are used to getting, I'm surprised schools close with so little snow.

Old, winding backroads are dangerous to drive on in any amount of snow. You kind of snow chased up here so you know. Imagine a school bus maneuvering these roads. I bet K4CF can tell you stories for days about the danger of driving on slick back roads in Yancey and Mitchell Co.

Old, winding backroads are dangerous to drive on in any amount of snow. You kind of snow chased up here so you know. Imagine a school bus maneuvering these roads. I bet K4CF can tell you stories for days about the danger of driving on slick back roads in Yancey and Mitchell Co.

if schools up there close for any amount of snow, I can't imagine how many days they close per year. 30 or 40 times maybe ? Heck, they might as well close school from December to March.

there are many secondary roads that go fairly high in elevation that are too dangerous for a bus to drive on. Its easy to drive on snow when,its flat.

Very true. Even if you take your kid to school you'll have to cross one or two of those passes as well. 

if schools up there close for any amount of snow, I can't imagine how many days they close per year. 30 or 40 times maybe ? Heck, they might as well close school from December to March.

I've seen that almost happen one time when my kids were younger. They got out for Christmas around the 18th of Dec. We had about 4 inches of sleet with a foot of snow on top of that the day before they were to go back. Then, we got snow on top of snow for several more weeks. I think they eventually went back around the 24th of Feb.

Oh yes...I've had a few close calls here on snow in my bus with the closest having my side view mirror and a dump truck's side view mirror "high 5-ing" each other.  Secondary roads up here are curvy, steep, narrow, and often sloped the wrong way as far as water runoff.  The school leadership in mtn counties will always err on the side of caution when it comes to transporting kids.  The close calls, when I have had to put on chains in the middle of my route, always occur when the timing of the snow has been a surprise.  To complicate things even more, Mitchell county is diverse with the north end getting nwfs and the south end near the parkway susceptible to the CAD icing situations.  Just like today, I had 1", Spruce Pine had a dusting, and Buladean/Roan Valley had 2" and there were reports of black ice throughout the county.  Technology, social media, and forums like this really help the school decision-makers so that any weather surprises are kept to a minimum.

snowed lightly all night but nothing on the ground, sort of a dud for Buncombe County, thought we might see the ground covered at least.  :cry:  its amazing the county to our west and north some schools are closed and Buncombe has none on the ground at all,  can't quite figure that one.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but, I think down sloping has a little to do with it Asheville is 2000ft in areas, not much higher than mby elevation in McDowell of 1700.

Asheville along with the whole northern end of the French Broad River valley are down slope city.  Just check out this 30 avg rainfall map where that area is literally the driest part of the whole state while the same distance south is the wettest.  If your a snow lover in WNC you have to get away from AVL to escape the constant disappointments of down sloping.  Otherwise it is what it is.  :)

post-347-0-98283100-1456427468_thumb.jpg

For those enduring a pause in the snow right now, mid-afternoon, we are sending another slug of moisture from Tenn. Subtle short wave is included. Also colder air aloft working in should promote some new snow squall percolation before sunset. Finally winds will veer just a bit tonight into the more classic northwest flow mode. Snow showers will continue tonight even after the above mentioned percolation settles down. Enjoy!

Archived