• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

Asheville along with the whole northern end of the French Broad River valley are down slope city.  Just check out this 30 avg rainfall map where that area is literally the driest part of the whole state while the same distance south is the wettest.  If your a snow lover in WNC you have to get away from AVL to escape the constant disappointments of down sloping.  Otherwise it is what it is.  :)

While all that is true when comparison to the border mtns and those counties north and west, anybody besides those places that post in the southeast forum would consider Asheville a snow paradise. It still does better than most North Carolina counties in the snow department.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While all that is true when comparison to the border mtns and those counties north and west, anybody besides those places that post in the southeast forum would consider Asheville a snow paradise. It still does better than most North Carolina counties in the snow department.

Don't get me wrong I love Asheville and went to school there.  But it is the snow hole of WNC for all places northeast of Waynesville.

Nice steady snow all day with a few good showers thrown in. No way of telling how much I've received because of the winds. I would guess between 2 and 3 inches.  A nice winter day in the mountains.

Hey Joe...Is it still snowing up there?  Im down in Shelby visiting family but will be coming home soon.  Thank you sir!

Hey Joe...Is it still snowing up there?  Im down in Shelby visiting family but will be coming home soon.  Thank you sir!

Yes but very lightly. Pam just got back from town and said the roads were not that bad except in the usual places. I'm leaving now to pick up my double bacon cheese burger from Bonnie and Clydes!  :)

Yes but very lightly. Pam just got back from town and said the roads were not that bad except in the usual places. I'm leaving now to pick up my double bacon cheese burger from Bonnie and Clydes!  :)

Thanks  for the update!  You are another loyal customer to that fine Loafer's Glory establishment LOL.  My grandparents started that place back in the 60s....and their real names were Bonnie and Clyde Byrd!

Thanks  for the update!  You are another loyal customer to that fine Loafer's Glory establishment LOL.  My grandparents started that place back in the 60s....and their real names were Bonnie and Clyde Byrd!

I'm sure I probably met your grandparents many times. When we were kids it was fun to go to the bathroom when we ate there. It was an outhouse out back. Was basically the same way just until a few years ago. Still a great place.

Still snowing this morning lightly. I would have 2.5 inches will do it. Winds been blowing hard and the snow has gotten finer so hard to really measure but I'll take it. Looks like a winter wonderland out.

My place was unexpectedly buried in this last storm. A neighbor forwarded me pics from the 5200 level...about 6" on the ground with some beautiful rime ice on the trees. Some big drifts in some places. (I estimate there was hurricane force winds out of the SW prior to the switch over to snow.)  He is going to try to make it to the 6200 foot Summit today and take more pics.  Will post when I get them.

well what happened to our snow for the mtns. that was showing for Thursday night and Friday time frame, next week, GSP not even mentioning it now.  Getting old, think I'm ready for spring.  

I noticed that too. Ray still has a little "rain changing to snow showers" outlook for Friday.

I know we get snow in March but even for us winter is winding down. I'd love to get one more pretty good thump then I would call it a season. 

Ok everytime I say something negative, something good then happens with the models. Maybe I'll have a new policy of being negative. 12z euro was a lot better for a lot of people.

That's how it goes brother, from one extreme to the next. I'm being optimistic, but I think we see one last hoorah before spring goes into full effect.

Now guys, we all know we can have extreme warm ups this time of year to have a blizzard in a day or two. I don't care how extreme the warm ups are modeled there is always a chance for winter weather into early April for many of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I agree and would be in the same boat if this winter wasn't as strange with the El Nino that it's been. I just don't feel it after this. Who knows maybe with my negativity it'll change lol.

Archived