joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing lightly at Wolf Ridge per web cam. I would expect that means Joe is cashing also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right my friend ! I've got mod/light snow at the moment. Temp is at 30.1 so I guess I'm good there.

Hope you missed those wicked storms in your area last night.

You are right my friend ! I've got mod/light snow at the moment. Temp is at 30.1 so I guess I'm good there.

Hope you missed those wicked storms in your area last night.

Tornado was well inland (I posted about it in the severe thread) We did have some nasty weather here though. 70 mph wind gust & .97" in 11 minutes!!! Enjoy the snow Joe & thanks for asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep snowing in several spots know across the mountains.

Very heavy snow now falling in the Balsams..I estimate 1"+ hours rates. Upstream radars looks impressive with orographics slated to only increase as winds at 850mb increase out of the SW so 6" + seems likely.

Even at Balsam Gap..heavy snow has reached all the way down to that elevation per webcam: http://brpwebcams.org/cam/5/1

Very heavy snow now falling in the Balsams..I estimate 1"+ hours rates. Upstream radars looks impressive with orographics slated to only increase as winds at 850mb increase out of the SW so 6" + seems likely.

Even at Balsam Gap..heavy snow has reached all the way down to that elevation per webcam: http://brpwebcams.org/cam/5/1

Yep have friends that live up on balsam sending pictures oh huge snow flakes coming down. Also parts of Jackson County is receiving snow.

Get just over 2 inches here in ashe. Another fun snow to watch even though it was nighttime. I have still 0 reason to think we see a good snow next week. I don't see it getting cold enough even for us.

The EURO, PARA EURO, and EPS disagrees especially for your area.. hard to disagree with that combo.. GEM ensembles agree too..

The EURO, PARA EURO, and EPS disagrees especially for your area.. hard to disagree with that combo.. GEM ensembles agree too..

Bring 7 days out, I'm more concerned with the trends for the High pressure up to the north than anything else. We don't have anything to bring cold air here besides it, so it needs to be in a good spot to see anything other than maybe some backside snow. Quite frankly I don't believe in the Euro this year lol. And that hasn't burned me yet.

Based on the observations of 4" at Beech, 4" at LeConte and snowfall amounts recorded in Maggie Valley, Waynesville, Balsam, Mt. Pisgah etc....plus the 0.3" precip totals that were observed in Haywood county downsloped from the Balsams....which I usually double to get the approximate ridge top total based on previous observations..minimum of 4" fell in the higher elevations of the Balsams with 6" quite possible so overall pleased on how it turned out.   

It did appear that the duration of the snow was shorter than expected when prevented boom totals but nevertheless one of the better quick hitting storms of the season.

Archived