• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

Dare I say "That's a wrap?" Main long term thread talking about miller A's and stuff already. At this point, I'm gonna say keep dreaming.

Needless to say for me this event was a good one. Got over half a foot of snow with some dreamy snowflakes/ rates earlier. now I get to watch it wash away before morning. Won't complain with that. And get clean roads for the first time since the middle of January.

You read the main board to much.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Don!

Too many big dog signals on the 12z EPS to call it quits right now. Franklin and Super J mentioned it in the other thread but the EPS looks pretty good day 8-10. I was looking at a few members and there is a solid high pressure to feed cold moisture showing up to aid a wrapped up miller A. This would be perfect for WNC. The EPS also had some big dog with this storm 10 days ago so bear that in mind. But no reason to call it quits in the middle of Feb. We live in the mountains guys.

ASHE this post is for you bud. We do not declare winter over here in the mountains until later in April.

My son lives in Tryon. He left from here a while ago. He said there were multiple wrecks on 26. I live in West Asheville and it is 32 here, but no ice. I went out and went down Brevard rd. Just a short distance down and there was ice in the bushes and trees. 31 there. Really close to a really bad winter storm.

ASHE this post is for you bud. We do not declare winter over here in the mountains until later in April.

Amen, as one who wouldn't mind it torching from this point on knows beyond a shadow of doubt that March is very much a winter month in the mountains and that frequently rolls into April.  Let us not forget Mt. Pisgah in May 1992...   Winter is far from over.

I see Ashe has clarified his statement right as I posted the above.  I am sure he has seen more than a few April snows.

Amen, as one who wouldn't mind it torching from this point on knows beyond a shadow of doubt that March is very much a winter month in the mountains and that frequently rolls into April. Let us not forget Mt. Pisgah in May 1992... Winter is far from over.

I see Ashe has clarified his statement right as I posted the above. I am sure he has seen more than a few April snows.

Yea fixed the wording a little bit lol. Yea I'm still looking at two possible storms from this point. But regardless were not done yet.

I'll be pulling for them. I can still remember about 20 years ago When wcu went up against glenn Robinson and Purdue and almost took them down.

Well UNCA had Syracuse beat a few years back in the tourny until the refs took over and won the game for Syracuse in the final minute. I was at that game in Pittsburgh. Never felt so bad and helpless for a team ever.

Yeah SW winds ripping here.

I'm getting ripped here too......Ha!  This was a strange storm. But enjoyable IMBY. Hope the icing want be too bad for folks. It's cool to witness while it's happening but the aftermath sucks.

And regarding the mindless posting of basketball, please remember guy's.........."If the ball is round, it's not a sport". 

I'm getting ripped here too......Ha! This was a strange storm. But enjoyable IMBY. Hope the icing want be too bad for folks. It's cool to witness while it's happening but the aftermath sucks.

And regarding the mindless posting of basketball, please remember guy's.........."If the ball is round, it's not a sport".

lol... College basketball is awesome! Can't stand NBA.

Funny thing is you will wake up to light snow.

Robust clipper coming through tonight.

Looks good on radar. Hopefully it'll hang together and gives us a surprise. 

No snow this morning but temps have been dropping since about 3 am. Down to 26.9 now. Can't believe how long that CAD is hanging on in the foothills and northern piedmont. Just proves once again that the models, always, scours it out too soon.

Looks good on radar. Hopefully it'll hang together and gives us a surprise.

No snow this morning but temps have been dropping since about 3 am. Down to 26.9 now. Can't believe how long that CAD is hanging on in the foothills and northern piedmont. Just proves once again that the models, always, scours it out too soon.

Not necessarily always. This one for sure did, but when I used to live in Charlotte the cold air would actually leave early sometimes. Anyways I actually had some snow around 730 or so this morning.

Worst ice storm in ten years. Almost half an inch of ice, temp stayed at 31 till 8:30 this morning. I lost power at 3a.m, woke up to a big KABOOM!!! transformer blew right beside my window, green sparks flew everywhere. 226,221 and I-40 were all shut down last night due to stranded motorists and wreck. I-40 looked like a parking lot, several shelters had to open. I woke up at midnight before the transformer blew to thunder and lightning. Crazy storm to say the least.

Archived