joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015/16 Autumn/Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard UP winters and ****ty deer management. The herd in the UP used to be good. Now it's garbage and there is some blame on the DNR for not implementing antler point restrictions soon enough. Plus the buck crazy mindset of many Great Lakes/Mid West hunters. But with time it will be good again. It comes in cycles.

For whatever reason, I have 10 regular deer on my property.  4 doe, a buck, and the rest fawns or yearlings (all migrate to the S UP in Winter).  But as a whole, yes, the snow belt deer population is in real bad shape.  An under the radar problem IMO is the out of control population of coyotes.

It appears the weekend wave will be missing Iowa to the east.  Parts of Iowa have seen good daytime snow two or three times this winter(waterloo has had two 10+ inch storms), but not here.  I received a yawner moderate overnight wet snow in November, then a sleet storm after Christmas.  At some point this winter I would like to see some nice, fluffy moderate to heavy snow during the day.  It may be a while.  Late winter will really have to produce to avoid a poor final grade.

It appears the weekend wave will be missing Iowa to the east.  Parts of Iowa have seen good daytime snow two or three times this winter(waterloo has had two 10+ inch storms), but not here.  I received a yawner moderate overnight wet snow in November, then a sleet storm after Christmas.  At some point this winter I would like to see some nice, fluffy moderate to heavy snow during the day.  It may be a while.  Late winter will really have to produce to avoid a poor final grade.

Saturday isn't off the table even as far west as you.  Heaviest snows will more than likely stay east of you, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can get in on some decent snowfall at some point Saturday.  

For whatever reason, I have 10 regular deer on my property. 4 doe, a buck, and the rest fawns or yearlings (all migrate to the S UP in Winter). But as a whole, yes, the snow belt deer population is in real bad shape. An under the radar problem IMO is the out of control population of coyotes.

Which have been video recorded killing mature deer.

Mini rant. As it seems has happened more times than not for the past few winters, LOT looks like it will once again be bullseye for this thread the needle system.  Hell, they are beginning to look like a pin cushion.

Early on, this looked to be an OTS or Apps runner, but the LOT magnet once again sucked it in. I think I'll go dig my Carhartts out to endure the snowless tundra here next week.

Obviously, this is all in jest, but you guys up there just seem to keep winning.

Mini rant. As it seems has happened more times than not for the past few winters, LOT looks like it will once again be bullseye for this thread the needle system.  Hell, they are beginning to look like a pin cushion.

Early on, this looked to be an OTS or Apps runner, but the LOT magnet once again sucked it in. I think I'll go dig my Carhartts out to endure the snowless tundra here next week.

Obviously, this is all in jest, but you guys up there just seem to keep winning.

fwiw, I cant remember any thread the needle systems the last two winters. It was COLD and snowy.

fwiw, I cant remember any thread the needle systems the last two winters. It was COLD and snowy.

I didn't mean to imply that there have been a lot of thread the needles, but the few we've had always seem to zero in on LOT. But even with share the wealth synoptic systems, it seems the heaviest totals end up somewhere in Northern IL.

I didn't mean to imply that there have been a lot of thread the needles, but the few we've had always seem to zero in on LOT. But even with share the wealth synoptic systems, it seems the heaviest totals end up somewhere in Northern IL.

Ah got you.

Seems like we (SE MI) were the bullseye most of 2013-14.

I specifically remember Chicago being ground zero last Feb 1st though. But I was sure as hell not going to complain after we saw our biggest snowstorm in 40 years :)

I'm guessing there's a weenie in Chicago that has blackmail info on father winter

It is rough.  Here in central OH, we are in the toughest climo of the sub.   But that's also why we have the biggest weenies, no doubt about that.

You've got that right, except maybe along the Ohio River.

Also, You're an old timer here. You know the rules. This is a family board. No discussing the size of your weenies.

This thread might get quite a bit of action before the night ends.

Stebo said bump it, you beat me to it lol.  All I know is this 40 degree rainy mudfest has got to stop.  I better get a couple inches at least before this cold wave sets in.  I absolutely cannot stand this cold drizzle mud crap!

Archived