SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2015/16 Autumn/Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heavy overcast, with some dead leaves blowing around over the lawn.  Par for the course for Dec '14.

Same here Cyclone, perhaps a more depressing December than any we've ever had. At least give us some sun if we are going to see practically no snow.

Just a sample of the whining from last December. I couldn't quote the good stuff in the complaint thread since it was closed to open part two, but you get the idea. (For example, I was bi*ching about having three 33° and rain storms).

If this winter was my new climo in a +15F AGW hell, I'd probably just move down south and give up winter. I would be WAY too far from actual viable outdoor winter recreation.

LOL. Luckily...this MONTH is not your needs climo.

Our winters here have been clearly getting more wintry for a decade now, and the fact that the November snowstorm gave us a head start in an abortion of a pattern makes another season of above normal snow still a distinct possibility.

I would call IND actually.

Not all offices do the spotter number/certificate thing, so it might not matter in the end.

I'm pretty sure that they don't. At IWX you are just required to attend a training every two years and they give you a phone number that is a dedicated line for spotters to report severe.

Yes, see you actually make use of the snow, so I can't rag on you. Others who just say they are snow cover guys but don't make use of the snow cover, don't really have a leg to stand on.

No offense but this makes no sense. It's all subjective no different then liking a certain kind of music, art or movie. "No leg to stand on" smh. :lol:

I really feel like this is an odd time for everyone to start panicking/melting down. While yes a wall to wall torch is always possible, the big reasons many expected a second half turn-around were the low over the N. Pac retrograding from the Gulf of Alaska to the Aleutians and due to a tendency for an AO flip during the second half of the winter. There are already signs of the low retrograding to the Aleutians to start January and all three ensembles and also some typical precursors to stratospheric warming events also showing up (Scandinavian ridge and Aleutian low) so I don't see any more reason to panic this week than last week. Yes, Christmas will be brown for all of us which may be causing some of the recent panic, but it should've been fairly well understood heading into December that we'd have to get really lucky and thread the needle for much to happen this month.

:thumbsup:

LOL. Luckily...this MONTH is not your needs climo.

Our winters here have been clearly getting more wintry for a decade now, and the fact that the November snowstorm gave us a head start in an abortion of a pattern makes another season of above normal snow still a distinct possibility.

I was joking. Right now I'm living a Cincinnati winter and I'm not enjoying it.

EDIT: Probably closer to Bowling Green, KY.

You guys are at least entertaining tonight in a otherwise dismal outlook. Most people either do no tlive in a area that receives 150+" a  year or they dont venture to such areas for winter activities. I love where I live, don't get me wrong but there are definite cons to being up here and even more so in the UP. But going from a area that averages 35-40" a year to where I am now does not compare in any level as far as winter is concerned. Sometimes I do wish I took a job offer down in North Carolina but of all people my wife talked me out of it and wanted to live up here how can you fight that :) I still would rather move out west if I had any chance at all.

Got any favorite areas of West? Would you go to an area with a lot of snow?

I like the Washington Cascades and Colorado Rockies the best. Western Montana is really nice also.

Got any favorite areas of West? Would you go to an area with a lot of snow?

I like the Washington Cascades and Colorado Rockies the best. Western Montana is really nice also.

I would probably locate in Colorado area most likely outskirts of Denver in much higher elevation. Denver has a pretty big healthcare sector which is what both my wife and I have professions in. 

Yeah lets get excited about snow that has already fallen and is doing nothing... :facepalm:

To each their own. Some like it to look like winter. I like a good severe storm in spring or summer (not in fall or winter), but many would say how can you get excited about something that usually causes destruction and sometimes death?

I'm probably in the minority here but I am loving this winter. Highs around in 50 this time of year are just too comfortable to dislike and are welcomed after being buried and frozen the last few years. Still will miss playing pond hockey this winter

lol today is the first official day of Winter. You very well may have pond hockey time.

What i hate even more than the lack of snow (because I know that will come) is how this weather is like a petrie dish for spreading winter sickness.

lol today is the first official day of Winter. You very well may have pond hockey time.

What i hate even more than the lack of snow (because I know that will come) is how this weather is like a petrie dish for spreading winter sickness.

This pattern is so powerful, I'm beginning to doubt a full turnaround. We can pretty much write off the next 10 days.

This pattern is so powerful, I'm beginning to doubt a full turnaround. We can pretty much write off the next 10 days.

Write off the next week for sure. It's the first day of astro Winter....I don't know of winter will feature a full bore turnaround,.but I DO know it won't be in the 40s and 50s for 6 of every 7 days all winter.

Archived