• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015/16 Autumn/Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

If you're a regular poster on here, you are a weather weenie. 

If you post here regularly in July, you're a def weenie.

The people calling others a weenie like it's a bad thing are the king wieners.

The meltdowns I refer to are the ones from posters who appear only when there's a storm threat and post incessantly for 3 days, and when it doesn't pan out they go Kaboom.

Winter definitely has the biggest weenie following. Mainly because the general population hates winter, this place is a sanctuary from the general public's overwhelming opinion. I think that's why some of us snow-weenies get pissed when others troll during bad winters. Some people use a tired line and say that people are too busy during the summer to post, but that isn't close to the truth... Summer weather can be exciting, but for the most part it's pretty boring. There is a reason almost no weather posters come from California, yet it's the most populous state.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alek, don't be stealing torchageddon's avatar.

That's ironic because I'm going to use one of Alek's avatars this January. Its the Donald Trump wearing a pink hat with a phone in hand one. I still don't know where the original image for it is online.

Yeah I love not having to wear a heavy coat this late into the season especially since it is a pain once I get into work and walk the 3/4 mile to my office in the terminal.

I don't miss all the hardships with a snow belt winter at all, the last two winters took a toll. I love lots of snow when it is cold enough but the recent past winter systems and LES has been pissing me off far too much to fully enjoy it and while I get thrills with crazy stuff, its so rare that I just rather this now. I rather be excited and pleased with record warmth and "sort of boring" (I love the extreme pattern ongoing) over weeks and months than to be majorly depressed and annoyed but have a few hours of joy. Now that one of the warmest December's I've ever seen is here, I want to enjoy it unlike Aug 2012 - Jun 2015. One thing I am not pleased about it is the insane amount of dense cloud cover during the last 3 weeks, I'm going 11 days at a time without seeing any sun and that sucks.

spend any time over in the SNE forum lately?

Oh man I've been neglecting that region, I have to check it out.

GRR's (and I guess now APX's) apparent vendetta against lake effect snow products is dumb. The advisory/warning map for MI makes no sense right now with lake effect snow advisories right next to winter weather advisories (with the winter weather advisories being for lake effect snow). Imagine trying to explain on TV why one county is a lake effect snow advisory but the county next to it is a winter weather advisory.

GRR's (and I guess now APX's) apparent vendetta against lake effect snow products is dumb. The advisory/warning map for MI makes no sense right now with lake effect snow advisories right next to winter weather advisories (with the winter weather advisories being for lake effect snow). Imagine trying to explain on TV why one county is a lake effect snow advisory but the county next to it is a winter weather advisory.

and busting nicely with already 7-9" reports south of Kalamazoo

GRR has had a lot of flubs lately with their headlines.

As some folks recall, they actually rode out GHD 2015 (that dumped 12-20" across Southern MI) with a Winter Weather Advisory. Even average joes were chewing them out over that one on their social media pages.

As some folks recall, they actually rode out GHD 2015 (that dumped 12-20" across Southern MI) with a Winter Weather Advisory. 

I never knew that. Pretty crazy considering there was blizzard warnings just to the west.

Sounds like GRR could have went with a winter storm warning tonight. :snowing:

that was absolutely ridiculous. Didnt they upgrade like the last hour lol?

What I recall too is that a lot of people were already calling "bust" at about 3pm (snow began falling 12 hours earlier) because ONLY 3-5" had fallen. But after that point until about 11pm or so, the rest was history.    :lol:

But as DTX stressed, patience was going to be tested. 

As some folks recall, they actually rode out GHD 2015 (that dumped 12-20" across Southern MI) with a Winter Weather Advisory. Even average joes were chewing them out over that one on their social media pages.

I've heard from a TV met in a Michigan market that GRR doesn't issue LES headlines anymore, just winter storm or winter weather, and that they are pushing for lake effect headlines to be done away with. I can't say for certain that's 100% accurate but he's brought it up on numerous occasions. Not to mention only going with an advisory initially for the November synoptic snowstorm and their problem with missing strong tornadoes.

And of course this event is busting for them too, although I can see with a short fetch and fairly short duration event why they only went advisories. But this was a lake effect event and lake effect headlines should have been issued as opposed to winter weather. Lake effect is unique as it routinely produces heavy to very heavy snow rates...produces the biggest snow storms in the region...can be highly localized...and can produce rapidly changing conditions. A storm that produces a wide area of 6" of snow over 12 hours with light to moderate but steady rates is completely different and lake effect products should be issued so road crews, authorities and the public can be prepared for lake effect conditions...and I'm sure most of the public in a Snowbelt knows what lake effect conditions are. But for some reason GRR disagrees with all of that. When was the last time they issued a lake effect snow advisory or warning? I can't remember honestly.

I've heard from a TV met in the Marquette market that GRR doesn't issue LES headlines anymore, just winter storm or winter weather, and that they are pushing for lake effect headlines to be done away with. I can't say for certain that's 100% accurate but he's brought it up on numerous occasions. Not to mention only going with an advisory initially for the November synoptic snowstorm and their problem with missing strong tornadoes.

And of course this event is busting for them too, although I can see with a short fetch and fairly short duration event why they only went advisories.

I give GRR (and DTX did the same) the benefit of the doubt with the recent November snowstorm.

The event was really marginal (not to mention climo), and although everything did luckily come together just at the right place/time for the widespread big amounts, the outcome could have easily gone the other way.

I give GRR (and DTX did the same) the benefit of the doubt with the recent November snowstorm.

The event was really marginal, and although everything did luckily come together just at the right place/time for the widespread big amounts, the scales could have easily tipped the other way

My biggest issue with the November storm is that the models were fairly locked in on the heaviest snow going across DTX's and GRR's CWAs and they issued watches. Then they went to advisories instead of warnings despite nothing changing. I didn't get that. I understand that a lot could've gone wrong with such an early season setup, but to gear up for warnings, only go with advisories when nothing changes and then having amounts surge way past warning criteria, it looked poor IMO.

My biggest issue with the November storm is that the models were fairly locked in on the heaviest snow going across DTX's and GRR's CWAs and they issued watches. Then they went to advisories instead of warnings despite nothing changing. I didn't get that. I understand that a lot could've gone wrong with such an early season setup, but to gear up for warnings, only go with advisories when nothing changes and then having amounts surge way past warning criteria, it looked poor IMO.

The advisories in DTX region for that storm was a total fail. 

I'm used DTX fumbling every snowstorm event. It's becoming a normal routine in that office.

They really hate busting high. Busting low is easier to handle, because of the "upgrade" bailout card.

My dad literally though Howell was only going to get 2-4 inches the night before the storm -- and mostly grassy surfaces. I said anything under 6 inches is unlikely and that ground temps won't matter at all... I told him the most likely amount was 6-12 inches. I busted low by almost 5 inches.

The event was really marginal (not to mention climo), and although everything did luckily come together just at the right place/time for the widespread big amounts, the outcome could have easily gone the other way.

DTX at least adjusted once the writing was on the wall and went warning. Of course they weren't high enough with the snowfall, but I don't think anyone was expecting over 12"

By the way, mark me down for wanting to do away with Lake Effect Warnings/advisories. The only difference between them and normal warnings/advisories are the origin of the snow. The impacts are just as great and in some instances greater. Simplification of the warning products would go a long way in this instance.

By the way, mark me down for wanting to do away with Lake Effect Warnings/advisories. The only difference between them and normal warnings/advisories are the origin of the snow. The impacts are just as great and in some instances greater. Simplification of the warning products would go a long way in this instance.

It's silly. The headline has to be changed depending on whether it's pure lake effect or lake enhanced. That seems silly.

I see both sides of the argument but I tend to agree with OHweather about lake effect products. People who live in lake effect prone regions long enough should come to understand the nature of lake effect snow and how the behavior often differs from synoptic snows.

+1

Archived