• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015/16 Autumn/Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

Warm Decembers aren't even that enjoyable if more than half the days are cloudy, foggy, drizzly, windy with temps in the 40s like this. At least it hasn't been as cloudy as last December (pretty difficult to accomplish that).

I hear ya. If it was sunny and dry with 60 on Christmas, I might shrug my shoulders and embrace it. But, this crap would be too dreary for a funeral scene in a movie full of cliches.

#achristmastoforget

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warm Decembers aren't even that enjoyable if more than half the days are cloudy, foggy, drizzly, windy with temps in the 40s like this. At least it hasn't been as cloudy as last December (pretty difficult to accomplish that).

^This.

Yeah 9 out of the 15 days this month have been mostly to completely cloudy. Today is turning around.

This is a really cool satellite loop from space of the giant Aleutian Low that cut west of Alaska.

http://mashable.com/2015/12/15/massive-alaska-storm/?utm_content=buffer635ee&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#pw6T65Ik8iqA

when was your last big dog?

almost feels like i'm good for a 20" er every couple years

How do you term 'big dog'?  If you're talking 12" or more, most definitely that was Groundhog Day Blizzard.  If 10" or more, last year's February 1st snowfall would just qualify, as well as one in February 2013, the two 10"+ storms since Groundhog Day.  It hasn't been that bad compared to average (esp at the airport given their location in the SE part of the county), but it's hard not to compare to areas just south.  If anyone's due for a big storm, it's MSP in terms of major cities in the subforum.

^This.

Yeah 9 out of the 15 days this month have been mostly to completely cloudy. Today is turning around.

This is a really cool satellite loop from space of the giant Aleutian Low that cut west of Alaska.

http://mashable.com/2015/12/15/massive-alaska-storm/?utm_content=buffer635ee&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#pw6T65Ik8iqA

Yeah, today was sunny for long enough to warm up to 50F.

For KLAN;

1982-1983  

1997-1998 

2011-2012

All had a DJF of 31F.

My 3 worst winters of my lifetime.

I wonder if this one will break that. I'm leaning yes, but who knows.

1982 still has the warmest reading out of those three winters with 66F. 

How do you term 'big dog'? If you're talking 12" or more, most definitely that was Groundhog Day Blizzard. If 10" or more, last year's February 1st snowfall would just qualify, as well as one in February 2013, the two 10"+ storms since Groundhog Day. It hasn't been that bad compared to average (esp at the airport given their location in the SE part of the county), but it's hard not to compare to areas just south. If anyone's due for a big storm, it's MSP in terms of major cities in the subforum.

Minneapolis had a 17" snowstorm in December 2010, so they're not hardly "due."

Until one has to go 10 years without a 12"+ snowstorm, assuming we're using that as the benchmark for a big dog, like Detroit did (or longer for St. Louis), any complaints about the lack of big dogs are unjustified.

Since we are all looking for positives for this weather. Working conditions and the amount of income this month has been great in my industry.

This is true.  For me there's a down side too though.  We are working so efficiently in this weather the schedule is clearing out much quicker than I planned for.    Usually we go balls to the walls 9 months out of the year and then work intermittently from about December 1 thru end of Feb, (expected because of the weather)....but we're still going b to the w. 

Assuming this unusually mild and calm pattern continues through the winter, the question is whether or not our average potential customer will decide to pull the trigger much earlier in the year (over the winter), vs. waiting til spring.   If the prior is correct, then it could be a very strong and unusual first quarter of 2016.

Minneapolis had a 17" snowstorm in December 2010, so they're not hardly "due."

Until one has to go 10 years without a 12"+ snowstorm, assuming we're using that as the benchmark for a big dog, like Detroit did (or longer for St. Louis), any complaints about the lack of big dogs are unjustified.

Anyone who lives near or in the city of Detroit should NEVER feel bad for another major city not getting the big dog. Lol

Anyone who lives near or in the city of Detroit should NEVER feel bad for another major city not getting the big dog. Lol

To each their own. Detroit did go from Jan 23, 2005 to January 31, 2015 between 12"+ snowfalls, however in between that time there were 4 storms of 10"+ and outstanding, record breaking winter weather relative to climo. It was so nice to see the 12"+ barrier broken by almost 5" last winter because it was getting so tiresome to see the obsession of "ugggh we only got 11.4", run of the mill...and....YAY we got 12.1", big dog!" (exaggeration of course). Minneapolis winters, with a few exceptions, have been meager compared to their climo. Basically, if Detroit (or Chicago) was in Minneapolis' shoes, this board would be unreadable. A few big dogs nestled among subpar winter weather over a period of years would not satify most. Hell...it isnt even the Winter Solstice, we have already a record November snowstorm, and many act as if winter is over before its begun.

This is true. For me there's a down side too though. We are working so efficiently in this weather the schedule is clearing out much quicker than I planned for. Usually we go balls to the walls 9 months out of the year and then work intermittently from about December 1 thru end of Feb, (expected because of the weather)....but we're still going b to the w.

Assuming this unusually mild and calm pattern continues through the winter, the question is whether or not our average potential customer will decide to pull the trigger much earlier in the year (over the winter), vs. waiting til spring. If the prior is correct, then it could be a very strong and unusual first quarter of 2016.

Balls to the wall is a understatement. I have guys on my crew that do a countdown to Nov 1st every year. We work 70-90 hr weeks and we usually shutdown just before T-giving with just a few days here and there in December. It does look like after the 28th things trend to more of a "normal" pattern that will shut us down for the winter.

We just had customer yesterday that wanted to pour 400 feet of sidewalk. I said, I would do it only if it was in writing to protect myself and my company. You know and I know it will turn out like s**t. I wouldn't recommend new pour to my customers.

If Christmas time does indeed set record warmth, the meltdowns this year are going to be epic!

I've got my eye on a few already :D

I don't think it's going to be that bad. After numerous amazing winters in the last 15 years. How can you really get upset. Stinkers do happen. It's a cycle.

If Christmas time does indeed set record warmth, the meltdowns this year are going to be epic!

I've got my eye on a few already :D

It's strange.  In this forum some think if you simply acknowledge and discuss the warmth you're considered to be a weenie in meltdown.

Personally, I think the ones pointing those fingers are the ones who are really in denial...ie melting down.

It's strange.  In this forum some think if you simply acknowledge and discuss the warmth you're considered to be a weenie in meltdown.

Personally, I think the ones pointing those fingers are the ones who are really in denial...ie melting down.

If you're a regular poster on here, you are a weather weenie. 

If you post here regularly in July, you're a def weenie.

The people calling others a weenie like it's a bad thing are the king wieners.

The meltdowns I refer to are the ones from posters who appear only when there's a storm threat and post incessantly for 3 days, and when it doesn't pan out they go Kaboom.

The meltdowns I refer to are the ones from posters who appear only when there's a storm threat and post incessantly for 3 days, and when it doesn't pan out they go Kaboom.

total weenie^

Well I'm the first two!

As far as Christmas goes, if it is not going to snow at least have it be sunny outside and not foggy, rainy, or cloudy.

well hell I'm a weenie too and proud of it....   the only time I melt down is when we are in a good winter pattern and a storm comes and dumps a trowel load of snow just to our nw and pisses on us.    So basically I've melted down the last two winters a few times.  

But melting down because of an overall winter fail?  nah.

I'm a weenie across the board. I love big snowstorms, I love snow to hang around. I love snow piles, I love flooding rains, rainy days, thunderstorms, fog, cloudy days, drizzle, ice fog, love extreme temps both cold and hot...etc...love it all. I can't stand consecutive days of no clouds in the sky and droughts. Hate them. Boring IMHO

I'm a weenie across the board. I love big snowstorms, I love snow to hang around. I love snow piles, I love flooding rains, rainy days, thunderstorms, fog, cloudy days, drizzle, ice fog, love extreme temps both cold and hot...etc...love it all. I can't stand consecutive days of no clouds in the sky and droughts. Hate them. Boring IMHO

Exactly! I don't know how some people could live in Phoenix or LA.  Blaaaaaaahhhhhhh. But I LOVE snow and would be happy with it from November 1 to April 30!

Archived