• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015/16 Autumn/Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

I echo the others bo. Congrats! I've been recording my weather since 1996 but an official weather observer since 2004. These records will be around long after you are not. It's a cool feeling

Your records, stats and dedication is pretty impressive, Josh.  I've always thought so.

Thanks for the comments everyone.  I appreciate it.

NOT GOOD:

MQT

LOOKING FARTHER AHEAD...THE SIGNAL

FOR ABOVE NORMAL TEMPS DOMINATING THRU THE FIRST WEEK OF DEC HAS

STRENGTHENED...AND FARTHER OUT...CFSV2 16 MEMBER ENSEMBLE MEANS HAVE

ALSO STRENGTHENED THE SIGNAL FOR WARMTH THRU THE 2ND AND 3RD WEEKS

OF DEC IN RECENT DAYS. ITS SFC TEMP POSITIVE ANOMALIES ARE QUITE

IMPRESSIVE IN MAGNITUDE/COVERAGE...EXTENDING FROM ALASKA/NW CANADA

SE THRU THE UPPER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY/GREAT LAKES REGION. IF

CORRECT...WE`LL BE LOOKING AT AN UNUSUALLY WARM DEC WITH WELL BLO

NORMAL LES IN THE GREAT LAKES REGION

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty amazing how nature can balance out the weather from one year to the next. Last year the Buffalo area had record snow early in the season and this year going on the record least amount. I'm in the minority I'm sure but as someone who wants and needs snow to play in around the Christmas to New Years time frame in northern lower MI I'm kinda glad the long range is looking warm for the next few weeks. I've seen it way to many times over the years where we would get cold and snow in late Nov and early Dec only to have it washed away around Christmas time. It might not be the case this winter season but I'll take my chances, heck, don't matter right, not like we can control it anyways. Congrats Bo on the observation deal! Very cool and hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.

I totally agree on your logic. I have been following weather for a long time and have observed the same thing. I feel that our odds are better for the pattern to change for the better closer to Christmas if we maintain the same warm pattern we have had all Autumn for the time being.

This is a good point. Even if December is a lost cause doesn't mean winter will be.

This is a good point. Even if December is a lost cause doesn't mean winter will be.

This is very true. Last December was a disaster, heck we tied our least snowiest December on record with 0.02" of snow. Although to be honest, last winter just wasn't that great around here, besides the March 1st storm, that dropped 8".

This is very true. Last December was a disaster, heck we tied our least snowiest December on record with 0.02" of snow. Although to be honest, last winter just wasn't that great around here, besides the March 1st storm, that dropped 8".

Last winter was only slightly above normal here snow-wise.  Hit hard early, then very long lull.   Last 2 winters were clearly a Chicago to Detroit bonanza.

Last winter was only slightly above normal here snow-wise. Hit hard early, then very long lull. Last 2 winters were clearly a Chicago to Detroit bonanza.

Exactly and not only that, they have cashed in on TWO historic blizzards in the last 4 years. GHD I and GHD II. Which oddly enough occurred on the same exact dates, 4 years apart. We have been on a good roll ourselves though. You guys get it on good apps runners, which have been fairly absent the last 2 winters.

where would be ideal for you Geos? 

A windward side of a mountain side in the central to northern Rockies or in the Pacific Northwest. Pretty much guaranteed good snowfall each winter - given that your high enough. Even along the front range west of Denver and Boulder get into really nice snow events with an upslope easterly flow.

Exactly and not only that, they have cashed in on TWO historic blizzards in the last 4 years. GHD I and GHD II. Which oddly enough occurred on the same exact dates, 4 years apart. We have been on a good roll ourselves though. You guys get it on good apps runners, which have been fairly absent the last 2 winters.

The last clean app-runner, meaning it didn't transfer, jump, or come too far west and stick us with a warm tongue.  A low that drove up the spine or slightly west into PA and then into the eastern lakes  was probably March '08.   Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.   We've had some Kentucky cutters, bowlers and sloppy pseudo-runners, but not since '08, have we had the classic cash-in kind that can give us Columbus's version of Chicagos GHD storm.

The last clean app-runner, meaning it didn't transfer, jump, or come too far west and stick us with a warm tongue.  A low that drove up the spine or slightly west into PA and then into the eastern lakes  was probably March '08.   Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.   We've had some Kentucky cutters, bowlers and sloppy pseudo-runners, but not since '08, have we had the classic cash-in kind that can give us Columbus's version of Chicagos GHD storm.

That was my first thought too. Haven't really had a storm drop over 6" here since that one.

Wow. Your crew is due for a good thumping! While Chicago has been on a roll for 12" storms, we have only had 1 in the last 8 years. That was 3-25-13, and it all melted within 48 hours.

actually we have had a few 6"+ since '08, (they weren't app runners though),  in fact I think 2 winters ago we had at least 1 that was close 10" and last winter I'm pretty sure we had a couple over 6".  I'm not a stat guy and I have a bad memory so maybe someone else can fill in the correct blanks.   

The last clean app-runner, meaning it didn't transfer, jump, or come too far west and stick us with a warm tongue. A low that drove up the spine or slightly west into PA and then into the eastern lakes was probably March '08. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that. We've had some Kentucky cutters, bowlers and sloppy pseudo-runners, but not since '08, have we had the classic cash-in kind that can give us Columbus's version of Chicagos GHD storm.

It's hard to believe that was already 8 winter seasons ago. I hate to use the term, but we're certainly at the point where we are "overdue" for something big, especially a good I-71 special like that.

Here in CLE, our last 1 inch snowfall was on March 1st. We'll easily go well over 9 months between 1" snowfalls, which is impressive. The combination of an early end to winter last year and a late start to winter this year is certainly making me feel snow starved.

One thing that's been interesting this year is that it's felt like one of the longest falls. The number of 60+ and 70+ degree days the last 6 weeks has been incredible. If it's not going to snow I'll take 60 degree days like today than 37 and overcast.

Officially only two...though with a little luck, it could've been five. But here's the 10"+ storms, dating back to GHD I. Pretty good run I'd say.

January 31-February 2, 2011: 21.2"

December 31-January 2, 2014: 10.9"

January 4-5, 2014: 11.7"

January 31-February 2, 2015: 19.3"

November 20-21, 2015: 11.2"

Same at DTW...five 10"+ storms since 2011. Pretty damn good.

Feb 1-2, 2011: 10.3"

Feb 20-21, 2011: 10.2"

Dec 31-Jan 2, 2014: 11.1"

Jan 4-5, 2014: 11.0"

Feb 1-2, 2015: 16.7"

Yes, you are correct. 

And it's not just the classic Apps runners that have been MIA. Systems like 12/1/06 have been MIA also (although GHD 2011 was close).

Of course, the difference with Chicago / Detroit is thanks to their latitude, there are other frequently occurring storm types and storm tracks that can produce well for those cities, unlike Columbus. 

Yes, you are correct. 

And it's not just the classic Apps runners that have been MIA. Systems like 12/1/06 have been MIA also (although GHD 2011 was close).

Of course, the difference with Chicago / Detroit is thanks to their latitude, there are other frequently occurring storm types and storm tracks that can produce well for those cities, unlike Columbus. 

Agree, a big difference we have here is also our proximity to the Ohio river valley which often acts like a chute for the WTOD.  So we can have low pressure take what should be a favorable track, just to our south or east, and still get licked by the tongue.

This is something that's out of season and has probably been discussed in the main forum, but I don't know since I rarely visit there.  I was nibbing around and found that although the trend is to have fewer tornado days, there is a greater risk for an outbreak on those days.

This is something that's out of season and has probably been discussed in the main forum, but I don't know since I rarely visit there.  I was nibbing around and found that although the trend is to have fewer tornado days, there is a greater risk for an outbreak on those days.

attachicon.giftornadodays.jpg

Pretty sure this topic was posted in the climate change forum.  I believe there was a paper to accompany it.

Archived