joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015/16 Autumn/Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My rainfall total through 7 AM: 0.03"  I may pick up a quarter of an inch when all is said and done.

I really wasn't expecting much from this storm, as most of the action was predicted to be to my west/northwest, but the weekend snow looks to pass well to the north. I may end up with a slushy mix.

I've got a bad feeling that may be a precursor to my winter.

50 degrees this morning.  normals for today are 37/23.  last year was buried in snow already.  have only had 6.5"  to date, where normal is around 18" here.  Average snow for Dec and Jan in my neck of the woods average just above 90"... we'll see, not feeling great about Winter either IWX... at least it's active tho.

This would be Chicagos 3rd 12"+ storm in the last like 5 years right? Dating back to GHD 1.

Officially only two...though with a little luck, it could've been five. But here's the 10"+ storms, dating back to GHD I. Pretty good run I'd say.

January 31-February 2, 2011: 21.2"

December 31-January 2, 2014: 10.9"

January 4-5, 2014: 11.7"

January 31-February 2, 2015: 19.3"

November 20-21, 2015: 11.2"

I'm excited so I thought I'd share this with my fellow weather nerds.

Got this message yesterday:

Bo, we are curious if you'd like to be a volunteer spotter or Cooperative Observer. We appreciate your continued reports from the Huron's Area with your location. We know that your area is in one of the big snow areas within Marquette County. If you are interested please give a call to our Observation Program Leader, Dave (Petro) Petrovich at 906-250-9105. We'd like to detail some of the different volunteer opportunities that the NWS has. You had asked about a seasonal snowfall map in the past that the Gaylord office had created. Here at our office we have some neat maps of the annual snowfall measurements going back to the 2002-03 season. Just hover over the dates and the maps will change at the following web link: http://www.weather.gov/mqt/seasonsnowfallmaps We look forward to your reports on the facebook and look forward to possibly talking with you about our various volunteer observation programs. Very Respectfully, Jim Salzwedel NWS Marquette.

Needless to say, I contacted them immediately and this morning NWS MQT was at my house! haha
Turns out, they are interested in my location as an official climate reporting spot.... awaiting approval..... :)
Lots yet to do before I'm up and running as a site completely. They took about 2 hours of measurements from where they put my guage and all of that goes to the climate center for approval. The beehive temperature equipment wont be installed until Spring, as the ground frost is already 6" locally due to lack of snow... side note... all of last Winter with the early and deep snow, the frost depth was only 4".

Anyway, start reporting unofficially tomorrow... pretty cool thing for me.

all they had at the moment was a 4 gauge.  gonna bring an 8" due to the amount of snow.  thought that was pretty cool :D

Nice Bo, and I see you have a challenge now, to top that ruler in the ground for snow depth.

haha, I wish!  They have me a new one ordered but said I can keep this old one too and measure depth in 2 areas but obviously only one would be the official report.

also was kinda cool,  MQT said they had never had anyone in my area report before.  The guys back at the office estimated my annual snowfall to be 225-250"....I think the office in Negaunee Twnshp is 203".

cool stuff!

Thanks IWX!

Nice Bo! That's really cool you'll be an official CoCoRaHS observer for that area. I was looking at the maps and it's pretty amazing how much more snow MQT gets vs. the Marquette lakefront. I see not far off to your NW there was two back to back winters with 300"+ of snow.

Isn't the record in the Keweenaw like 390"?

Nice Bo! That's really cool you'll be an official CoCoRaHS observer for that area. I was looking at the maps and it's pretty amazing how much more snow MQT gets vs. the Marquette lakefront. I see not far off to your NW there was two back to back winters with 300"+ of snow.

Isn't the record in the Keweenaw like 390"?

yep, 390"!  I keep hearing the "unofficial" snow capital of the UP is Herman.... IDK  Their seasonal average is 250-275" I believe.

well Geos, I'll be a coop with the NWS.  CoCoRaHS isn't part of the NWS even tho they interact.

yep, 390"!  I keep hearing the "unofficial" snow capital of the UP is Herman.... IDK  Their seasonal average is 250-275" I believe.

well Geos, I'll be a coop with the NWS.  CoCoRaHS isn't part of the NWS even tho they interact.

Yeah, I'd really like to be a coop rather than just CoCoRaHS.

I expect that they may had some trouble with siting with all of the trees on your property.

I'm excited so I thought I'd share this with my fellow weather nerds.

Got this message yesterday:

Bo, we are curious if you'd like to be a volunteer spotter or Cooperative Observer. We appreciate your continued reports from the Huron's Area with your location. We know that your area is in one of the big snow areas within Marquette County. If you are interested please give a call to our Observation Program Leader, Dave (Petro) Petrovich at 906-250-9105. We'd like to detail some of the different volunteer opportunities that the NWS has. You had asked about a seasonal snowfall map in the past that the Gaylord office had created. Here at our office we have some neat maps of the annual snowfall measurements going back to the 2002-03 season. Just hover over the dates and the maps will change at the following web link: http://www.weather.gov/mqt/seasonsnowfallmaps We look forward to your reports on the facebook and look forward to possibly talking with you about our various volunteer observation programs. Very Respectfully, Jim Salzwedel NWS Marquette.

Needless to say, I contacted them immediately and this morning NWS MQT was at my house! haha

Turns out, they are interested in my location as an official climate reporting spot.... awaiting approval..... :)

Lots yet to do before I'm up and running as a site completely. They took about 2 hours of measurements from where they put my guage and all of that goes to the climate center for approval. The beehive temperature equipment wont be installed until Spring, as the ground frost is already 6" locally due to lack of snow... side note... all of last Winter with the early and deep snow, the frost depth was only 4".

Anyway, start reporting unofficially tomorrow... pretty cool thing for me.

attachicon.gifIMG_3134.JPG

all they had at the moment was a 4 gauge.  gonna bring an 8" due to the amount of snow.  thought that was pretty cool :D

attachicon.gifIMG_3135.JPG

Nice, that is pretty cool, glad they found you and will have some true reporting in the huron range area well at least one spot. I would be happy to provide a spot but I am only about 5-6 miles West of the NWS APX offcie so wont be much different although I suspect I do get a little more snowfall compared to the APX office.

Cant to see how yoru reports average out over the next 5-10 years, I suspect this year will set the bar pretty low :(

Very cool Bo!  It'll be cool to see all your data start compiling as we go forward.

Decided to step up the photography thing a bit.  Picked up a new DSLR today.  There's so many awesome ones out there you can just about drive yourself crazy trying to pick one.  I ended up with the Nikon D810, and went with a new Nikkor 24-70 F/2.8 VR since I tend to do mostly landscape crap.  Some of the functionality is similar to my current Nikon (D5300), but will take some getting used to.

2qxxr39.jpg

O ok. I wasn't quite sure if there was a difference between the two. Now I know.

That would be awesome monitoring and collecting the weather data in a remote location. I hope to get to do it someday.

Impressive subforum stats on the NOV 21st storm.  As of Nov 25,

2 tracking and ob threads on the storm totaling 55 pages!

1 photo thread 

1 'historic context' thread

....giving the MA subforum some competition. :lol:

Also add for impressiveness, that was without any contribution from the Ohio weenie crowd too!

Archived