joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015/16 Autumn/Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may be the weakest point I've read on this board.

It's like having a week in May of 90F days, then the rest of the summer being 15F below normal and boating/swimming season being wrecked. "Hey Guys, we had those 90F days in May, What y'all complaining about?"

Plus December was expected to be mild...it's just been mild on steroids.

Did some checking and found that it would take until January 10 for Chicago to drop below average in snowfall if there's no more measurable snow between now and then.

Yeah the mild December was pretty much universally given for this winter, plus who knows maybe we thread another needle and get another big storm 2-3 weeks from now, then some people could be near 25-30". This was never going to be a snow cover winter, strong el ninos aren't great for prolonged deep snow cover.

It's like having a week in May of 90F days, then the rest of the summer being 15F below normal and boating/swimming season being wrecked. "Hey Guys, we had those 90F days in May, What y'all complaining about?"

Except we aren't 15 above normal for December... Also as Hoosier noted, warm December was pretty much a slam dunk, so what is the shock and mystery here?

Why is being above average on snow a weak point?

That's a padded stat that isn't representative of this winter at all.

If someone asked you what the winter of 2015-2016 was like, would you really tell them it was snowy? Even though it's shaping up to be one of the least exciting, warmest winters on record?

Except we aren't 15 above normal for December... Also as Hoosier noted, warm December was pretty much a slam dunk, so what is the shock and mystery here?

I'm sitting at +10. +15 is probably a stretch, but not a big stretch.

+1 to +5 isn't shocking. +5 to +10 is a bit depressing. +10 to +15 is historic trash.

I do understand Jonger's point...he has a specific interest in winter sports.  But for people who aren't really into that, and received the big November snow, think about if that didn't happen.  Given how warm it's been, it was a stroke of luck to get a storm like that.

Many have just been spoiled by our historically awesome run lately. If we go back to the 40s-60s or the 80s-90s, the current pattern we're in was the norm at some point during even the "better" winters. 

Besides, it's so early in the season for one to be getting so frustrated, given how many winters in the past made huge turnarounds come January and February. 

That's a padded stat that isn't representative of this winter at all.

If someone asked you what the winter of 2015-2016 was like, would you really tell them it was snowy? Even though it's shaping up to be one of the least exciting, warmest winters on record?

If we end up above normal for snow then yes I will say it was a snowy winter, I'm not going to break it down into bits and pieces.

Why is being above average on snow a weak point?

How long was there snow on the ground? What are the current temp anomalies? What is the current 3, 7, 10 day, monthly outlook? How many winter activities can be enjoyed right now or in the foreseeable future? The list goes on and on, making the current above average snow anomaly a weak point.

The flip side would be grading the current El Nino and using the same snow anomaly as a counterpoint despite everything else.

Nothing personal on this one, just a discussion.

Very interesting posts in this thread lol.

I love snow more than anybody. I want it nonstop from November til April. But expecting it to be nonstop is totally unrealistic. I also want a salary of, say, a million or so, but I can't expect that.

The last 2 winters were so abnormal in this region that it was amazing. You could not ask more from mother nature, especially in 2013-14. If that's how it should be then you will never enjoy winter again.

Several of our lowest snowfall winters here had plenty of cold to work with, just not a good pattern. So other than getting out of a total torch pattern I really can't ask for anything else.

As a snowcover enthusiast I understand Jonger frustration. However I do recall several lamenting (on recent winters) they want some good snowstorms in otherwise torch conditions. I don't remember who, I just wonder if that ACTUALLY happened if they would stick to that mindset.

If it IS a torch winter from start to finish, it's not because the op gfs doesn't look good on December 21st. :lol:

How long was there snow on the ground? What are the current temp anomalies? What is the current 3, 7, 10 day, monthly outlook? How many winter activities can be enjoyed right now or in the foreseeable future? The list goes on and on, making above average snow a weak point.

The flip side would be grading the current El Nino and using the same snow anomaly as a counterpoint despite everything else.

Nothing personal on this one, just a discussion.

I have most certainly found that MANY on this board (again this does not mean all) could not care less about snow on the ground. I have been told that time and time again over the last few very white winters.

I definitely have sympathy for those into outdoor stuff in the winter. That'd be like the mountain bike trails being closed in the summer.

It's even worse, because mountain biking usage can cross over into any month occasionally. I used to ride mountain bikes A LOT.

Snow trails legally close March 31st. So the clock is ticking.

I agree that many don't care for snow on the ground. For some it is the most important part. But we're not just talking about snow on the ground.

I grew up visiting areas to the north that had snow-pack. When you get to Munising and there is 40 inches on the ground, you don't care if another 5 comes, you have 40 inches already... who cares.

I would rather have snow on the ground then brown looking lawns with mud everywhere.

At least for the start of this season, the grass has been unusually green and lush (due to the lack of a hard/long freeze and our rainy weather).

That said, each comes with its pluses and negatives. With old snow/ice that sticks around, you have to always worry about slipping and falling (or slipping and sliding on the road) because of when it melts and re-freezes at night. 

Archived