• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
2015/16 Autumn/Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

By the way, mark me down for wanting to do away with Lake Effect Warnings/advisories. The only difference between them and normal warnings/advisories are the origin of the snow. The impacts are just as great and in some instances greater. Simplification of the warning products would go a long way in this instance.

I tend to agree with OHweather and Hoosier, but for a different reason.

Not using what should be the proper headlines only to push whatever agenda you have is plain childish. 

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, mark me down for wanting to do away with Lake Effect Warnings/advisories. The only difference between them and normal warnings/advisories are the origin of the snow. The impacts are just as great and in some instances greater. Simplification of the warning products would go a long way in this instance.

I think the Lake Effect product gives the NWS team more error margin with the general public. We all know that LES can vary over a short range.

I tend to agree with OHweather and Hoosier, but for a different reason.

Not using what should be the proper headlines only to push whatever agenda you have is plain childish.

Well I do agree they should be used if they are there to be used, I just think simplifying the process is better because in the end snow is snow.

On the discussion of lake effect snow headlines. The thing about lake effect snow is that you can be in a white out in one location and a few miles away it can be clear. Lake effect snow comes in waves, when you have a big synoptic storm, your usually in it for awhile - unless your in a wide plume that is stationary. I've always seen a lake effect snow warning as a harbinger of heavy snow with white out conditions at times. You don't necessarily get that in a normal winter storm. 

I think at least on the west side of Lake Michigan offices should keep those headlines, since we don't get those kinds of events very often - at least not in pure form (lake enhancement).

...Maybe they should bring back the heavy snow warning headline/product and replace that with the lake effect snow warnings!

My biggest beef is that GRR (and with this past event, APX too, although up to this point APX has still issued LES headlines) is issuing winter weather headlines instead of LES headlines when LES headlines are still available/supposed to be issued, and when other Great Lakes offices issue them. This is regardless of what you think of LES headlines in general. It's like issuing a flood warning instead of a flash flood warning...yes they're similar in that they both deal with flooding, but a flash flood warning has very different meaning, and I don't see offices just issuing flood warnings to "keep it simple" when there's a flash flood situation. Maybe that's a bad analogy but it's the best I could think of on the fly.

Maybe I just like LES and that biases me, and I certainly see the need for some simplification...consolidating a snow advisory, snow and blowing snow advisory and winter weather advisory just into a winter weather advisory last decade was a good move IMO. I can see the argument that "snow is snow" at the end of the day, although the points I brought up earlier and that Geos just referenced are my arguments for why LES headlines should be kept. On the other hand, I can see the argument that we've already consolidated the vast majority of old winter weather headlines into a just a few, so why are LES headlines immune? I guess it boils down to: Do LES headlines help the public, road crews and local governments better prepare for LES? Do LES headlines add confusion? Is the benefit greater than the confusion?

My biggest beef is that GRR (and with this past event, APX too, although up to this point APX has still issued LES headlines) is issuing winter weather headlines instead of LES headlines when LES headlines are still available/supposed to be issued, and when other Great Lakes offices issue them. This is regardless of what you think of LES headlines in general. It's like issuing a flood warning instead of a flash flood warning...yes they're similar in that they both deal with flooding, but a flash flood warning has very different meaning, and I don't see offices just issuing flood warnings to "keep it simple" when there's a flash flood situation. Maybe that's a bad analogy but it's the best I could think of on the fly.

Maybe I just like LES and that biases me, and I certainly see the need for some simplification...consolidating a snow advisory, snow and blowing snow advisory and winter weather advisory just into a winter weather advisory last decade was a good move IMO. I can see the argument that "snow is snow" at the end of the day, although the points I brought up earlier and that Geos just referenced are my arguments for why LES headlines should be kept. On the other hand, I can see the argument that we've already consolidated the vast majority of old winter weather headlines into a just a few, so why are LES headlines immune? I guess it boils down to: Do LES headlines help the public, road crews and local governments better prepare for LES? Do LES headlines add confusion? Is the benefit greater than the confusion?

I have wondered if them failing to issue LES headlines when we had that huge pile up on i-94 played a part in that accident? With LES headlines *most* know to expect squally weather with blinding snow ( whiteouts ) at times and that was conditions we had here when that huge accident occurred? Everyone was flying at normal speed down i-94 when they hit the whiteout?

Very few things this office does makes any sense when it comes to winter headlines. I was surprised we had a decent lead time with the advisory as it is very common for them to be way behind and in catch up mode. They are pretty stellar when it comes to their own backyard in/around the Grand Rapids area but slack off big time especially down here along the i-94 corridor where a number of people have wanted IWX to assume responsibility.

GRR has had a lot of flubs lately with their headlines.

As some folks recall, they actually rode out GHD 2015 (that dumped 12-20" across Southern MI) with a Winter Weather Advisory. Even average joes were chewing them out over that one on their social media pages.

that was absolutely ridiculous. Didnt they upgrade like the last hour lol?

They did after a few lit into them on their facebook page. I got banned ( as did a few others )  from their page for telling them they needed to fire the one who issued the headlines which was someone who goes by the handle 93. 93 has not been heard from since then. Guess is they changed their handle as some new number appeared not long after. :lol:

There is a big difference in getting blinding 1-2" per hr snow squals than a general 6" in 24 hours that is winter weather advisory criteria. Not to mention in most cases, only a small localized part of the county even gets close to that criteria. For example I got about 6 inches, about 15 miles to my east still in otsego county received about 1-2 inches at most near lewiston. 

Important point Josh.

I know for at least me personally, I am a less likely to go out and travel in a LES warning then a Winter weather advisory or even a winter storm warning - even if the trip is short. I know when a heavy snow warning was issued, I would stay home or get home, because I knew a lot of snow was coming down in a short period of time. 

Definitions:

http://cnycentral.com/news/local/watch-vs-warning-vs-advisory---whats-the-difference?id=274613

15) LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING

This is issued when heavy lake effect snow is occurring, is imminent, or has a very high probability of occurring within the next 12 hours. The snow is expected to accumulate at least 7 inches with strong winds producing much high drifts. This is similar to a Winter Storm Warning for Heavy Snow, except Great Lakes induced squalls/showers occur in narrow bands and over limited areas. Lake effect snow squalls/showers can occur quite suddenly and cause blizzard-like conditions.

16) LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY

A Lake Effect Snow Advisory is issued for Great Lakes induced snowfall in western and central New York totaling between 4 and 7 inches in a 12 hour period. Blowing and drifting snow is also common in relatively limited areas and in narrow bands.

I think both headlines are good, because it tells people what to expect. In either case if you live in a county with either headline, you could get hit or largely missed. Probably especially good for travelers to be prepared for lake effect snow conditions at any time and it could get as bad as blizzard conditions for a time in a LES warning - a pretty important thing to know!

I have wondered if them failing to issue LES headlines when we had that huge pile up on i-94 played a part in that accident? With LES headlines *most* know to expect squally weather with blinding snow ( whiteouts ) at times and that was conditions we had here when that huge accident occurred? Everyone was flying at normal speed down i-94 when they hit the whiteout?

Very few things this office does makes any sense when it comes to winter headlines. I was surprised we had a decent lead time with the advisory as it is very common for them to be way behind and in catch up mode. They are pretty stellar when it comes to their own backyard in/around the Grand Rapids area but slack off big time especially down here along the i-94 corridor where a number of people have wanted IWX to assume responsibility.

Didn't the same thing happen last year that resulted in a huge pile up or was that the year before.

Didn't the same thing happen last year that resulted in a huge pile up or was that the year before.

The 100+ car/truck pile up? That is the one i was referring to. Has been others but nothing like that of course. Here in Calhoun we didn't even have any headlines while Kalamazoo had the wwa. The accident was right at the county line.

You wont ever ( better be a dire emergency ) catch me on i-94 when LES is in the cards/happening.

The 100+ car/truck pile up? That is the one i was referring to. Has been others but nothing like that of course. Here in Calhoun we didn't even have any headlines while Kalamazoo had the wwa.

You wont ever ( better be a dire emergency ) catch me on i-94 when LES is in the cards/happening.

I've been on I-94 in MI a few times while chasing LES...I figured maybe it wouldn't be that bad since LES is pretty common there. Wrong answer.

I've been on I-94 in MI a few times while chasing LES...I figured maybe it wouldn't be that bad since LES is pretty common there. Wrong answer.

The edge of the heavier stuff ( les ) is usually in the area between i-69 and 131 and i think it catches people off guard which causes alot of these accidents.

Here is the study they did about the huge pile up.

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/story/news/local/2015/11/30/weather-safety-changes-proposed-after--94-crash-study/76574664/?from=global&sessionKey=XMVWx2Blt6gg5IwRgrcxxJ2xxmsCQ0UoXnC8-18x2dz9N1x2FQx2F46UdIrP47rpSoHQx3Dx3DKbyQC9bwF7Rdxx9Lk03GYYAx3Dx3D-kh1H480KYwAHbhZBKab1x2Fgx3Dx3D-4UvXaHD2CnS8tZQAfCoCeQx3Dx3D&autologin=H3cfMdCmA7X7ZPoQf0BoQGrYQu3vcIAqMbb6mXbPQfIIC9okb8AwmQx3Dx3D

I love how the locals just seem so immune to the cold

I work in freezers, it has to be pretty cold to bother me when I have a decent coat on. I actually like snowmobiling around 5-10F. I like the way my carbides dig into the snowpack.

We rode last year at -20F... outside SSM.

If I hear a single rumble of thunder this week, I'll get sick.

Well, the Euro's one run that some jumped on which showed 70F on Christmas day will be about 25F too warm...but it will not be a white Christmas. I love Christmas, so while it sucks to not have snow, it doesnt ruin Christmas...but thunderstorms do NOTHING for me from Oct til May. Hope we get no thunder. Those that are excited about it, fine....but I better not hear one negative word towards those who follow late Mar/Apr snow threats ;)

Well, the Euro's one run that some jumped on which showed 70F on Christmas day will be about 25F too warm...but it will not be a white Christmas. I love Christmas, so while it sucks to not have snow, it doesnt ruin Christmas...but thunderstorms do NOTHING for me from Oct til May. Hope we get no thunder. Those that are excited about it, fine....but I better not hear one negative word towards those who follow late Mar/Apr snow threats ;)

It just blows that the warmth is so far north too. Usually the western UP or... hell... Canada north of 47 is guaranteed, but not this year. They have snow up there, but it's about to get hit with ZR twice over the next 2 weeks. Check out Hearst Ontario... Average high is like 12 degrees and they are going to be battling  rain TWICE over the next two weeks.

F this Jetstream.

I can count the number of times on one hand that I've heard thunder in the winter time.

So I don't think you guys have to worry too much about that happening, even with record-breaking warmth. 

Archived