• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2015/16 Autumn/Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

I'm actually thinking about starting a chicken coop project I was going to do in the Spring.

Because of the warmth and lack of any winter, companies have been going like mad with projects you can almost bet were scheduled for next spring including a couple big logging clearing jobs the gas company around my area is doing to clear a spot for a new well. In a normal winter this would not be possible until April in my area at the earliest.  I actually was a little unhappy when I saw how much forest they cleared near my property but not anything you can do about it. 

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So when do we start writing off most of Jan? Pretty bad when you have to go past the Hudson to find any resemblance of arctic air.  I am taking the under this year that my area does not even get to 50% of average snow. I wonder what the record is for the snowbelts for least snowfall in a season?

gfs_T850_namer_53.png

My area is about 90% in the hole of our normal snowfall.

So when do we start writing off most of Jan? Pretty bad when you have to go past the Hudson to find any resemblance of arctic air. I am taking the under this year that my area does not even get to 50% of average snow. I wonder what the record is for the snowbelts for least snowfall in a season?

gfs_T850_namer_53.png

Posting a 384 hour op gfs image and writing off a month 9 days before it begins would not be my first choice. There is clearly improvement in the long range models. Northern MI will start to look like winter soon I'm sure.

My post from yesterday isn’t about climo, stats, panicking, complaining, or the excitement of a 12-hour snowstorm.  It’s the anticipation of Winter – and the season, landscape, crisp air, etc. in its entirety.  It is why I became fascinated with meteorology as a child…and then studied it in college and got a degree.  I’ve been to the UP several times during winter…whether to snowmobile or simply to relax and enjoy the scenery.  A pure winter landscape is a sight to behold – with no thoughts of melting, slush, or thaws.  You don’t need to worry about when the next storm will hit to replenish the melting snow, because the landscape is always present and continues on…simply because it is Winter.

When you are passionate about something like this, it is something you live for and crave.  It is that simple.  It’s like being a 100-year-old die-hard Cubs fan from birth, never having seen a World Series win during your entire life. 

Of course there are the amazing singular events too, i.e. 1/19/1994 with a high of -14 and low of -24 when I was attending NIU in DeKalb, IL…or the Christmas Eve cold in 1983 (the first weather event I can remember in my life)…or the GHD storm in 2011.  But Winter isn’t about singular events.  It is about the Currier and Ives landscapes, the intensity of the cold, the anticipation and excitement before a snowstorm, a clear calm night over deep snow cover where the snow squeaks under your feet, and the beauty of it all.  We can see green grass and temps in the 50s with thunderstorms many times throughout the year, whereas you can only see a never ending mantle of white and severe cold during the Winter.

For those who celebrate Christmas – Merry Christmas to you and your families. :)

My post from yesterday isn’t about climo, stats, panicking, complaining, or the excitement of a 12-hour snowstorm.  It’s the anticipation of Winter – and the season, landscape, crisp air, etc. in its entirety.  It is why I became fascinated with meteorology as a child…and then studied it in college and got a degree.  I’ve been to the UP several times during winter…whether to snowmobile or simply to relax and enjoy the scenery.  A pure winter landscape is a sight to behold – with no thoughts of melting, slush, or thaws.  You don’t need to worry about when the next storm will hit to replenish the melting snow, because the landscape is always present and continues on…simply because it is Winter.

When you are passionate about something like this, it is something you live for and crave.  It is that simple.  It’s like being a 100-year-old die-hard Cubs fan from birth, never having seen a World Series win during your entire life. 

Of course there are the amazing singular events too, i.e. 1/19/1994 with a high of -14 and low of -24 when I was attending NIU in DeKalb, IL…or the Christmas Eve cold in 1983 (the first weather event I can remember in my life)…or the GHD storm in 2011.  But Winter isn’t about singular events.  It is about the Currier and Ives landscapes, the intensity of the cold, the anticipation and excitement before a snowstorm, a clear calm night over deep snow cover where the snow squeaks under your feet, and the beauty of it all.  We can see green grass and temps in the 50s with thunderstorms many times throughout the year, whereas you can only see a never ending mantle of white and severe cold during the Winter.

For those who celebrate Christmas – Merry Christmas to you and your families. :)

Nice post, thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas!

You should probably move north.

You should probably move north.

Agree and disagree.

He would probably be happier in the winter, but sometimes the thrill goes away when it becomes your everyday, expected landscape.

There is definitely a shared experience that many of us can all relate to. Beavis sums it up perfectly.

When I was a kid, I grew up in Metro Detroit and thought snow fell, melted and came back again, maybe a couple times a winter. Then I was taken up north in the winter for the first time. I got to experience snowpack... snow falling on snow. I got to see layers of snow scalloping a rooftop, the smell of wood stoves burning and no threat of melt.

I was hooked. The snowmobiling came later, that was just another excuse to go north in the winter.

I'm zillowing in Valdez

I have coworkers that are husband/wife who lived in Valdez for a while.  The husband was in the coast guard stationed there as an engineer.  Apparently they lived there through a record snow year, 1989ish?  Snowflakes the size of dinner plates so I am told and snowblowers left on roofs year round.  

The biggest drawback weather wise I guess is the seemingly endless rain/drizzle in the summer.  

I have coworkers that are husband/wife who lived in Valdez for a while.  The husband was in the coast guard stationed there as an engineer.  Apparently they lived there through a record snow year, 1989ish?  Snowflakes the size of dinner plates so I am told and snowblowers left on roofs year round.  

The biggest drawback weather wise I guess is the seemingly endless rain/drizzle in the summer.  

Yeah, don't think I could seriously live in Valdez.  One thing I like about the UP is once Summer does finally get here, it's cool to mild and for the most part sunny. 

Looks like you're our subforum's furthest north member.  Welcome and please post more through the Winter!

Have a Merry Christmas!

Yeah Valdez would be great if someone was rich enough not to worry about money from January to April to play in the snow.  Other than that the summers don't sound all that awesome, better inland I'd guess.  Plus November-December have very limited daylight that far north.

On another note, as you all suffer through this warm weather, I can play my neiner neiner neiner I have snow card.  Got to watch it snow hard for a couple hours tonight, picked up a solid 2-3" of snow to add to the 3-4" I had on the ground.

FYI its my webcam looking over my backyard on the John Dee NCN for Baudette if you want to take a look.  

Yeah Valdez would be great if someone was rich enough not to worry about money from January to April to play in the snow.  Other than that the summers don't sound all that awesome, better inland I'd guess.  Plus November-December have very limited daylight that far north.

On another note, as you all suffer through this warm weather, I can play my neiner neiner neiner I have snow card.  Got to watch it snow hard for a couple hours tonight, picked up a solid 2-3" of snow to add to the 3-4" I had on the ground.

FYI its my webcam looking over my backyard on the John Dee NCN for Baudette if you want to take a look.  

You probably have the lowest annual temp in the lower 48 I would assume. My brother in-law is from Winnipeg, I'm sure both locations probably have similar temps.

There is still more in Ontario where I ride. There is a few chances to build up the snowpack, but the pattern after Jan 1st looks AWFUL. 

It really is amazing how last year and this year couldnt be farther opposite of each other. Last year with the sustained cold and this yeary with exterme warmth with no long term change in sight.

It really is amazing how last year and this year couldnt be farther opposite of each other. Last year with the sustained cold and this yeary with exterme warmth with no long term change in sight.

Ironically though, if you read the '14/15 banter thread from this same time of year, you generally get almost the exact same tone to most posts.

You probably have the lowest annual temp in the lower 48 I would assume. My brother in-law is from Winnipeg, I'm sure both locations probably have similar temps.

I know I'm not in the coldest place in Minnesota.  The IFalls, Ely, Tower, Embarass area to my south and east is actually colder than me routinely and I'd guess the coldest area in Minnesota.  The terrain around that area is hilly and more densely forested this allows cold calm air to sink down and cool more.  Lake of the Woods area and to the west is flatter and more open with bigger expanses of swamps and ag fields, this allows the wind to keep temps slightly higher on average, not that it feels any warmer.

I moved here summer of 2007 and the coldest temp I have experienced is -38f.  To the SE of me they have experienced -40f + on several ocassions.

By this time last year, Ontario from the Soo to Sudbury north had several feet. That area of Canada does well with temps as warm as +5F above average. The problem is that it hasn't been +5F, it has been like +15F. That has killed LES and caused numerous meltdowns. 

Except for the fact that December 2014 was practically a carbon copy of December 2015 (warm and snowless), aside from not being nearly as rainy.

And yet, that was all but forgotten by the time we reached March 2015... :lol:

Except for the fact that December 2014 was practically a carbon copy of December 2015 (warm and snowless), aside from not being nearly as rainy.

And yet, that was all but forgotten by the time we reached March 2015... :lol:

Yep! Was about +6 here for temps last December and total snowfall was 1.1"!

There are a few high-valley towns in the Rockies that average a few degree colder than Winnipeg or anywhere in northern Minnesota.  Examples being West Yellowstone, MT; Wisdom, MT; Stanley, ID; Breckenridge, CO; etc.  Granted, most of those towns have a few hundred people in them at best, and of course northern MN is way colder than anywhere in the Rockies during the core DJF months.

As has been mentioned here several times...most of the Decembers in this decade have sucked winter-weather wise for much of the forum.

Kinda figured this month would suck, just given the strong el Niño. Had a really good run from 05-10.

17.4, 2005

12.5, 2006

29.3, 2007

34.1, 2008

18.8, 2009

22.7, 2010

There are a few high-valley towns in the Rockies that average a few degree colder than Winnipeg or anywhere in northern Minnesota.  Examples being West Yellowstone, MT; Wisdom, MT; Stanley, ID; Breckenridge, CO; etc.  Granted, most of those towns have a few hundred people in them at best, and of course northern MN is way colder than anywhere in the Rockies during the core DJF months.

I know Grand Lake, CO is quite the chilly place in the winter. In a high mountain valley at about 8500ft and surrounded by mountains The stronger winds that usually hit the higher terrain all winter long while cold air drainage is keeps the valley protected and colder at night.

Nice climate page on the Colorado climate. Record is -61° in the NW corner of the state.

http://ccc.atmos.colostate.edu/climateofcolorado.php

Where are you seeing an AWFUL pattern after Jan 1st? :huh: Its better than anything weve had in Dec.

The El Niño has started to re strengthen and the potential for a strong Nino to continue through the entire met winter is present. Something along the lines of 97-98 are not unfathomable. So it's hard to be optimistic about the LR projections.

Where are you seeing an AWFUL pattern after Jan 1st? :huh: Its better than anything weve had in Dec.

Josh, I'll start by saying that this TORCH pattern will end sometime and we will return to near-climo conditions, which will produce some snow.

However, you keep saying that models are showing a flip in January. This is the same guy who beats on the pulpit that the models can't be trusted long range.

You know as well as I that they sometimes continually show a flip in the 10-day-and-out range, only to keep pushing it back.  When it gets within day 4, I'll buy it. In the meantime, I'll just make the best out of this anomalously warm winter.

Josh, I'll start by saying that this TORCH pattern will end sometime and we will return to near-climo conditions, which will produce some snow.

However, you keep saying that models are showing a flip in January. This is the same guy who beats on the pulpit that the models can't be trusted long range.

You know as well as I that they sometimes continually show a flip in the 10-day-and-out range, only to keep pushing it back.  When it gets within day 4, I'll buy it. In the meantime, I'll just make the best out of this anomalously warm winter.

the coming seasonable cold shot....which looks 3-4 days max sometime the first week in Jan is looking more and more transient. Hoping we thread a needle of some sort during that time.  Every time it starts to look like the AO is going neg, it trends back positive or neutral.  

Right now the best thing we have is the MJO forecasted to drive at a decent amplitude into phase 7, (according to the euro).   Even then it's debatable as to how much that will drive a change.

I'm also reading in other threads that the el nino demise is taking it's time.  Just not seeing any great news for the weenie-class.

Archived