• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
October Banter Thread

H2O

That's a good read. Wish I had looked at it sooner, thanks for sharing. Seems pretty fair and balanced, hitting on most of the major concerns.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good read. Wish I had looked at it sooner, thanks for sharing. Seems pretty fair and balanced, hitting on most of the major concerns.

I have to assume many didn't read the whole thing even if they saw it go by. Too long winded. ;) The title was a bit more emphatic than we had originally and probably drew response in itself. It was submitted last week before we even knew names were inbound today. Of course some of the most vociferous voices were people I've long known to be that way. Reading back there's a comment or two I might remove as perhaps it makes it sound like it's our way or the highway which was not necessarily the intent. I have no issue with anyone who disagrees in a manner that makes sense against what is said there. I tend not to be too annoying when it comes to wx brands but I've made plenty of negative TWC comments in my day publicly so any idea that we sold out to TWC is just lol. That said.. I think the wx community needs more harmony and less sniping. TWC holds a very important place in the field these days. AccuWx response this morning was kind of embarrassing and I've always held them in much higher regard than many seem to.

lolz.

I just like knowing the full range of possibilities, and I'm sure emergency planners benefit from this info too. I guess people here disagree.

I actually don't doubt it's useful though I still wonder about the presentation and the utility of presenting it as is to the general public. Shoot most folks don't even know what a 20% chance of rain means even without 15 different options of percentage.

Funny story from today...

I am at work chatting with a co worker. We're talking about my wx enthusiasm since he follows me on Facebook. He goes on to say his brother-in-law is a wx nut too. I eventually ask him to text this guy and ask him if he posts on wx forums. 

Turns out he does, and he is none other than HM himself. 

Small world eh. 

browsed through a winter banter thread from last year -- makes me look forward to us complaining about the complainers while making threads for d7 storms and watching them catch on fire 3 days in.

You know it. I'll be losing my sh1t over being nam'd with 8-12" only to have it taken away a few hours later by the king.

But it's only temporary....maybe. I've been told by so many people....wait til youre my age. You'll hate the cold and snow!

I'm honestly not sure that is possible with a lot of us. Unless dementia sets in early. 

Nope, not possible with me.

I think people assume that once we get older and have more adult responsibilities, we would realize how annoying and burdensome snow and cold can be, and change our minds from that idealistic child who thought snow was all about being off from school, building a snowman, sledding, and having fun.

Adults have to shovel snow, from their driveway to walkways to the area around their car. Adults have to often commute in treacherous conditions. Adults need to pay high heating bills. Sometimes they need to scrape their windshields. Not to mention the plain discomfort of cold temperatures, especially when it's well below freezing during the day. All of those things are annoying, and I've had to deal with some of them myself. But to me, those aren't things that make my life so miserable that I want warmth all the time. They're part of the winter experience. They build character and challenge me. I'd much rather deal with all of those burdens and challenges, than have winters like 01-02 or 11-12. Not even close.

No chance I dislike snow ever. I mean zero chance. My wife is the same way. We absolutely love a good storm. When I get too old to shovel and deal with the impact on my property I'll simply pay someone to take care of it.

My in-laws bought me a big new snowblower for my now much longer driveway.  Looking forward to lots of chances to use it.

My neighbor has a nice snow blower and he comes out every single storm when I'm shoveling to ask if I want to use it. I like shoveling and I tell him that every time. I don't think he believes me. However, I took him up on the offer during Feb 2014. That was like the worst great storm ever. And blasting mashed potatoes across the yard with a 4 stroke briggs and stratton was pretty fun.

Archived