Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
October Banter Thread

H2O

I'd like to propose a new word in the spirit of mansplaining and whitesplaining

"newenglandsplaining", or I am open to a better name

definition - when a new englander talks to you in a condescending way about weather, particularly about climo in your backyard and/or about meteorological concepts, especially in terms of how they affect the mid-atlantic and/or assumes that the features that are good/bad for new england apply to the mid atlantic....

Example - 

MA dude - "Man, we really could use a west based NAO for the mid atlantic to do well this winter"

SNE dude - "But last winter was historic.  It's obviously not as important as you think"

MA dude - "It wasn't historic here.  It was decent by Mid Atlantic standards, but nothing special, other than really cold in February.  We had one decent snow period from mid February to Early march"

SNE dude - "Yes, and that period was a raging +NAO"

MA dude - "Not really for the first event, and 2 others were mixy.  We lucked out on another.  But in any case, none were huge events.  We typically need a -AO/+AO for area wide big snow events.  A lot was a product of just having a sick air mass"

SNE dude - "Well, that's because we did have blocking.  A block over AK is just as important as AO/NAO blocking"

MA dude - "Yes, but we really need AO/NAO blocking here to prevent storms from cutting to our west"

SNE dude - "Tell that to 13-14 and 93-94"

MA dude - "We did well in the 1st with some real luck imo, but the 2nd was actually pretty mixy down here"

SNE dude - "I hear ya.  Hopefully we can get a weak nino like 04-05, 76-77, 77-78 so we can all cash in with huge snows"

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heading up to Mount Washington this weekend to see my buddy who's interning up on the summit as an observer. Looks like I'll see my first ever October snow while I'm up there. Gonna go see all the fall foliage while I'm up there and take a drive out to Western Maine near the Whites. Looking forward to it. I'll try to bring the late fall/winter vibes back with me.

Heading up to Mount Washington this weekend to see my buddy who's interning up on the summit as an observer. Looks like I'll see my first ever October snow while I'm up there. Gonna go see all the fall foliage while I'm up there and take a drive out to Western Maine near the Whites. Looking forward to it. I'll try to bring the late fall/winter vibes back with me.

Have fun, I'm sure the foliage will be amazing.

As far as October snow, didn't you see it in 2011?

Have fun, I'm sure the foliage will be amazing.

As far as October snow, didn't you see it in 2011?

No unfortunately. I wasn't at Millersville yet and still near Baltimore. I got a really cold rain sadly. I don't remember seeing any flakes unless they were mangled in the rain. I don't count that one lol

My coach is gone

giphy.gif

Better for it in the long run. Running a big time college football program is becoming a young man/middle aged dudes game. 70+er's like Spurrier can't keep up with the day to day. The travel/commitment alone for recruiting is enough to tire them out. It's a shame he never got a real good QB down there or he would've been so much more successful.

And social media loses it over the dumbest sh!t. OMG how dare you name a storm you stupid @ss!

Are people really acting that crazy over it? I mean, I'm against it, have said as much, but def not attacking people, or getting emotional. 

Are people really acting that crazy over it? I mean, I'm against it, have said as much, but def not attacking people, or getting emotional. 

I don't think anyone's been too insane (except the guy on FB who said naming is to fill the climate change coffers) but you do still get the general sense much of the annoyance is toward TWC. That's understandable given how it came about but at a certain point it seems counterproductive. 

I don't think anyone's been too insane (except the guy on FB who said naming is to fill the climate change coffers) but you do still get the general sense much of the annoyance is toward TWC. That's understandable given how it came about but at a certain point it seems counterproductive. 

I can agree with that -- especially when they name the storms Nemo, or Yolo... how can you not laugh at that? 

TWC seems to use it for marketing, ratings, hype. If the NWS wants to get on board, I would hope they would have more science behind it. Come up with a good reasonable system to what gets a name and why. 

I may hate the idea... but if its going to happen, lets do it correctly. 

I'd like to propose a new word in the spirit of mansplaining and whitesplaining

"newenglandsplaining", or I am open to a better name

definition - when a new englander talks to you in a condescending way about weather, particularly about climo in your backyard and/or about meteorological concepts, especially in terms of how they affect the mid-atlantic and/or assumes that the features that are good/bad for new england apply to the mid atlantic....

Hahahahaha this is great! I've had a ton of these conversations over the years (mostly on Accuweather back in the day) that I could post here (but I won't). 

Edit: "SNExplaining" might work as a portmanteau... sort of.

Not crazy, but def saw some folks on social talking about how they'd stop following CWG if they went along with it.

I'm pumped to see Larry Cosgrove's rebuttal. He's an honest broker given he has had me blocked on Twitter forever even though I've never interacted with him there. :P

'Official CWG' did a pretty good job of distancing from the post too lol. 

I'm pumped to see Larry Cosgrove's rebuttal. He's an honest broker given he has had me blocked on Twitter forever even though I've never interacted with him there. :P

'Official CWG' did a pretty good job of distancing from the post too lol.

I noticed that re: them distancing themselves. Must feel comforting.

I noticed that re: them distancing themselves. Must feel comforting.

Well, I don't really mind the "CWG has no view thing"... that's a bedrock of the place I work during the day. Though it does seem at least some of it is in response to comments that CWG is pushing a TWC agenda. If that's how people really feel it has nothing to do with me. I've written like two things with TWC included and the other was extremely critical. 

Archived