• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
October Banter Thread

H2O

A lot of people I've talked to, mainly internally, seem to think the naming of such storms is analogous to naming tropical storms. "How come it's not done officially?" Uh, it's not the same. If you want to name based off of low pressure, you'll miss on some of the big ones like PDII. You can't name based off snowfall because the storm will already be over. You're going to preemptively name based off of a snowfall forecast? That's like naming an invest a hurricane before it even develops. Etc. I'm not sure there is a scientific way of really doing it, besides nuisances of "how impactful will the storm be," or "how many people will be affected by significant winter weather?" 

Don't even get me started on the actual names given...

I've been trying to refrain from commenting on the subject, but let's just say I am far from a fan of the idea.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's clear it's not hurting anything so far. I guess a wider adoption might change that. As a researcher I cannot fathom why we should not be building a coherent database on this stuff. That's not just for archival purposes as understanding past weather is intricately tied to understanding future weather. I think a lot of it boils down to beefs with TWC. 

Ian makes a good point. They're def not hurting anyone and people do dislike them because of twc. I'm not a big fan of them, but it's not like it'll affect the storm and cut down on my snowfall, so why should I care? One of those things that's not going away, so might as well work together to get it right. I'm kinda doubtful noaa gets involved for awhile though.

Ian makes a good point. They're def not hurting anyone and people do dislike them because of twc. I'm not a big fan of them, but it's not like it'll affect the storm and cut down on my snowfall, so why should I care? One of those things that's not going away, so might as well work together to get it right. I'm kinda doubtful noaa gets involved for awhile though.

They'll come around in 10 years once everyone else decides it's a passable idea. Pretty sure a lot of the people who were up in arms over it today didn't even read it. It was actually pretty kind to everyone in the whole community and did not let TWC off the hook for how it's been done so far. 

It's all just a ratings ploy. The general public can better relate to "Blizzard Nero" than the Blizzard of 15', especially when you can have multiple in the same season. 

The main problem is that the NHC has specific guidelines regarding classification of a system. What if any criteria does TWC use when determining if a system should be named or not? 

You can have a 963mb  low dumping snow over Montana and 99% of the country won't even bat an eyelash, but if you put the same system South of Long Island, national headlines.

It is inclusive, the naming system should not make exceptions. Handle it just like you would in court.

Even something like L0842015 would suffice with a wiki page dedicated to each event. ( :weight_lift:

Hopefully all sponsored by NWS and SPC. Who doesn't like to name derechoes and thunderstorms? Building a deep database would help us see patterns and the bigger picture sooner than otherwise, perhaps save us some climate pain down the road.

They want to name the storms because they know their ratings go up when there are named tropical storms. It's all about marketing, viewers and page clicks

i won't say that wasn't ever a consideration but it's a pretty weak argument. For one if no one else uses the names what exactly are they winning? Secondly if everyone adopted using a set of names the traffic would be shared. This traffic is already happening as well.. Just look how many people cover all kinds of weather these days.

Same here. If there was collaboration with WPC/NWS to adopt a scientifically objective way of classifying such storms, I would be 100% onboard.

I didn't expect we would shift many opinions, but perhaps it'll help spawn more long form thought on it. Even today many of the nays were the same old arguments. I think your concerns are valid. Without some buy in from NWS et al it seems likely this will continue to be stalled when it comes to a broader effort.

Here's another issue: Some local television stations also name storms. I'm not sure how widespread it is, but one station in Connecticut also names them. Working in that market at a non-naming station was especially difficult, since viewers didn't know what name was actually "correct." I guess another reason for a standardization of naming.

Here's another issue: Some local television stations also name storms. I'm not sure how widespread it is, but one station in Connecticut also names them. Working in that market at a non-naming station was especially difficult, since viewers didn't know what name was actually "correct." I guess another reason for a standardization of naming.

That's why I thought numbering was superior, but boring.

Idk who names storms, but it seems to me to be a little more "scientific" to number them to include a date reference, though admittedly a pretty boring method.

I think you'd need some sort of rating system eventually (post event most likely, this specifically seems quite hard to do while ongoing.. well, maybe in the final run if the wall of snow is inbound etc) but it is rather boring to have that be the sole piece of information used to describe it.

TWC is already trying to make it more scientific. I think if they were more transparent with the process people would see that more readily. There's a bit too much "we need to keep researching this" mentality with these things.. part of getting it right is by doing.

Archived