Newest Member
    amirah5
No Joaquin the park forecast for Mets

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll see.

Intuitively, a more powerful system is less susceptible to capture, and more prone to poleward advancement, and ultimately take on an easterly component.

Were that to happen, OTS would probably still be a better bet :lol:

Two lines of thinking on that lol. A stronger, larger hurricane increases the strength of the downstream ridge and likewise the upstream trough through diabatic heat release. Same deal of miller As coming northwest of guidance

I wouldn't let my guard down up here completely, though....even though there is a solid cluster well south, a slight deviation to the north east has drastic ramifications on LF locale because of orientation of the coast.

I wouldn't let my guard down up here completely, though....even though there is a solid cluster well south, a slight deviation to the north east has drastic ramifications on LF locale because of orientation of the coast.

Yeah that's how I feel right now. 

With a very low probability of this affecting us here in SNE, and now some of the models having the PRE rains pretty much miss us, maybe we can salvage the weekend after all??  I wouldn't mind a dry cool weekend myself, especially after picking up a lil over 2 inches of rain with this first event...a good dowsing.  

Like a poster earlier said, give the Mid Atlantic the Hurricane, and give us a nice snowy winter, that's a great compromise also imo.  

With a very low probability of this affecting us here in SNE, and now some of the models having the PRE rains pretty much miss us, maybe we can salvage the weekend after all??  I wouldn't mind a dry cool weekend myself, especially after picking up a lil over 2 inches of rain with this first event...a good dowsing.  

Like a poster earlier said, give the Mid Atlantic the Hurricane, and give us a nice snowy winter, that's a great compromise also imo.  

Don't fall into the trap of viewing a tropical system as a point on a map.  Even if this makes landfall in the Delmarva or a bit further south, the wave action will have a significant impact probably all the way to the Cape.  The precip shield is also likely to graze us, even in that circumstance, and almost certainly the remnant rains will.  The biggest killer in tropical systems is flooding and we don't need to have even a full on hurricane to do a lot of damage up here.  

Don't fall into the trap of viewing a tropical system as a point on a map.  Even if this makes landfall in the Delmarva or a bit further south, the wave action will have a significant impact probably all the way to the Cape.  The precip shield is also likely to graze us, even in that circumstance, and almost certainly the remnant rains will.  The biggest killer in tropical systems is flooding and we don't need to have even a full on hurricane to do a lot of damage up here.  

If it camps out down there, the rain won't even be a big deal here.

Oh I understand that, and your point.  But most are hedging toward a non event/very lil impact up this way, and I have to agree with them on that.  If this thing goes into Virginia/Delmarva area, we aren't getting hit with any precip from it directly.  Sure the remnant rains can get us later, but that's not that big of a deal, and that would most likely be early next week if the remnants hit us.  Sure surf can be very rough, but other than that, it isn't a big impact up this way.  

Now, if the storm hits further north, say Central N.J. or so, now we could see some impacts.  I was just hoping, that if this thing stays way south, maybe we get some decent weather for the weekend, which looked to be a washout previously.

My 2 cents. How many times have we seen blocking over exaggerated on models in the extended range only to come in less aggressive in the short term. While models may now be pointing towards the NC area right now, I would not put off a hit further N even up into the NJ area.

Of course two storms are never the same but we had a similar situation with Sandy and models ultimately correcting further north.

My 2 cents.  How many times have we seen blocking over exaggerated on models in the extended range only to come in less aggressive in the short term.  While models may now be pointing towards the NC area right now, I would not put off a hit further N even up into the NJ area.

Well, the cone is def. points north...it isn't going south of NC imo.

Correct.  I have no problem with the NHC cone.  I'm strictly referring to modeling right now and how we see things play out.  I fell we'll see a more northward trend on the models in the next couple days.

I think a worst case scenario is a NJ LF.

Give the system ample time to weaken, and yet still relatively minimal impact here.

I'd like either NC of sne.

I think it's funny how no matter what model or source of data that is a predictive measure, and no matter what cycle is the release of those sources, ...their products always "bend"/"avoid"/"wend" their solutions safely away from SNE

that's a helluva undertaking in a system supposedly guided by fractals.  

What we can rule out is a devastating New England hurricane.  Even if this gets up to a Cat 3 it is not going to be yanked up the coast at 60mph aka 1938.   So it will be weakening even if it came in on a SE to NW trajectory into LI.  Leftover wind, rain etc.  Thing is this is only Wednesday and the track could come in further north and get pre's into New England.  

I'm just happy with my 4" of liquid this AM

In addition to what I just stated above ....

...yet, NHC is left to pick up the pieces because though the avoidance weirdness is in play, the mean suggests this:

120H 05/0600Z 37.0N 73.5W 80 KT 90 MPH

for the D5 position.   The preceding position was 33 N, so it gains 4 deg of latitude... and using that for the extrapolated 126 is pretty much pegged on Springfield Mass as a cosmic lawn-mower.  

No model has that.  

In summation that is what we call, 'take a guess'

Pretty cool as well as interesting

1. 500mb composite of storms that hit mid-Atlantic/New England from the SE &/or @ an oblique angle vs 144hr EPS forecast

CQKGdLrWEAAjnsC.jpg

@webberweather Definitely some big dogs in that composite. Chesapeake-Potomac (1933), Long Island Express (38), Isabel (2003), Sandy (2012)

What we can rule out is a devastating New England hurricane.  Even if this gets up to a Cat 3 it is not going to be yanked up the coast at 60mph aka 1938.   So it will be weakening even if it came in on a SE to NW trajectory into LI.  Leftover wind, rain etc.  Thing is this is only Wednesday and the track could come in further north and get pre's into New England.  

I'm just happy with my 4" of liquid this AM

Exactly why my preference is for a NC LF.

Archived