• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
No Joaquin the park forecast for Mets

Ginx snewx

"At this time it is very hard to gauge the long-range potential impacts of Joaquin in the United States. The environmental steering

currents are complex and are not being handled in a consistent manner by the forecast models. A wide range of outcomes are

possible and it is simply too soon to say what impacts, if any, Joaquin will have on the United States."

is this a quote from someone? should probably state the source.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NHC looks like a Bob deal extrapolated out.....but that is likely a provisional solution, as they adjust westward...

I agree, it's pretty understandable why they'd want to wait until tomorrow to see if there's still a strong consensus. No need to slam the cone into NC/the Delmarva at the first sign of trouble.

Wow, shameless anyone who says I'm shameless is shameless themselves and calls what I say wishcastin, well to all those that call it a weak TS or category one at peak, are you not shameless too for downplaying a tropical cyclone's strength, when it could easily become a much stronger hurricane?  Why is downcasting much more appreciated than saying a category five is possible.  When I say possible I really mean 5%, don't you get it?  I am as smart as most of you non mets on this forum, I just get excited for rare events that aren't rare any more, I mean we all thought Sandy was a once in some sort of year event, and now Joaquin could do the same thing.  It probably isn't as rare as you think it is.  I'm just a person, I hear your comments and I read on here thinking I'm getting good feedback and back and forth discussions on why or why not something could happen.  But posts like that calling me wishcasting and shameless needs to go away, I don't care if you are kidding, this isn't the place for it.  I said a category four was likely because I see the warmth of the ocean waters and I see a much more favorable environment for intensification like the NHC said in their discussion at 11pm advisory.  So what if they are conservative, I'm bullish, take it for what it's worth.  Look at my tendencies and others and make a formed opinion on what both sides are saying.  Why can't I have my own opinion like everyone else without being called out on it, before something has happened to prove if I am right or wrong?  THat is my rant.

Not exactly ... they qualified their intensity discussion with, "These conditions favor intensification and the NHC forecast calls for Joaquin to become a hurricane within the next 12 hours.  The upper-level winds are shown by the global models to become quite conducive for strengthening by 36 hours as an upper-level anticyclone builds over the system, and additional strengthening is anticipated."

That does not really suggest upper tier intensity, it suggest unknown. 

I will add, however, that intensity forecasting is one of the hardest calls to make. But, you have to understand that polishing your ballz into a bright shiny brass and boldly going the distance, is a powder keg and tends to breed contempt, particularly when many users and Mets alike on this forum are skilled enough to see that those upper ranks of intensity have some hurdles to overcome.  Could it, sure - but that really isn't "likely" as you say.

I think, also, there's a bit of air of over-production in your tone; that's just constructive criticism. It's not slight. 

Wow, shameless anyone who says I'm shameless is shameless themselves and calls what I say wishcastin, well to all those that call it a weak TS or category one at peak, are you not shameless too for downplaying a tropical cyclone's strength, when it could easily become a much stronger hurricane?  Why is downcasting much more appreciated than saying a category five is possible.  When I say possible I really mean 5%, don't you get it?  I am as smart as most of you non mets on this forum, I just get excited for rare events that aren't rare any more, I mean we all thought Sandy was a once in some sort of year event, and now Joaquin could do the same thing.  It probably isn't as rare as you think it is.  I'm just a person, I hear your comments and I read on here thinking I'm getting good feedback and back and forth discussions on why or why not something could happen.  But posts like that calling me wishcasting and shameless needs to go away, I don't care if you are kidding, this isn't the place for it.  I said a category four was likely because I see the warmth of the ocean waters and I see a much more favorable environment for intensification like the NHC said in their discussion at 11pm advisory.  So what if they are conservative, I'm bullish, take it for what it's worth.  Look at my tendencies and others and make a formed opinion on what both sides are saying.  Why can't I have my own opinion like everyone else without being called out on it, before something has happened to prove if I am right or wrong?  THat is my rant.

A fine rant. The reason most err on the side of caution, or "downplay" strength, as you say, is because the vast majority of storms tend to be on the weaker side. That's simple probability. Citing your remark about a likely cat four landfall in NC, a cursory survey of history suggests that outcome is highly improbable. To my knowledge, Hazel is the only cat four to strike NC in October. It's fine to dream up fanciful scenarios for these systems and get excited about them, i'm as guilty as the next guy, but cluttering up the thread with prognostications of doomsday and calls to prayer seems unnecessary. And hey, if your prediction comes to fruition and that zero-spot-whatever chance plays out -- I'll eat my words. I've done so before and have found it a wholesome diet. 

I understand where you are coming from Tip, and I appreciate it.  I am a little overamped already with this system, I just see the potential in everything, even if I do go high, that is a symptom of my inner child.  I wasn't able to pursue my dream of becoming a meteorologist so I live through this forum.

Join the club.....too dumb for that math.

I understand where you are coming from Tip, and I appreciate it.  I am a little overamped already with this system, I just see the potential in everything, even if I do go high, that is a symptom of my inner child.  I wasn't able to pursue my dream of becoming a meteorologist so I live through this forum.

If it is any help .. just think about Sandy and her/his impact as a Category 1 foisted W amid a huge easterly anomaly, and all the damage and excitement that cause;  does one really need to push a Cat 4 to get that same fever pitch. 

No.  

Just to help put things into perspective and enjoy ... I tell you what, to get a "hook" scenario even as a possibility, in so many years - geez folks should be schittin' panties anyway. 

I admittedly missed the full context of it until you re-posted it.

Word!  and folks should really take nothing away in terms of location tonight.  I mean, just don't.  Even Harv, who has a P.H.D in ...existence at this point, he's only saying most likely. I can tell you, he knows full well that a different series of model suites shifting things around, changes that "likeliness" with extreme rapidity...

That is true Tip, I thought of that, that a category one hurricane can do a lot of damage, but remember Sandy was at least 945mb of pressure at landfall, that is very low for a NJ landfalling cyclone.  Even if it was an extra-tropical cyclone.  I think Joaquin has a chance to be a major hurricane as well, it has more going for him than Sandy did even in the Caribbean Sea.

A fine rant. The reason most err on the side of caution, or "downplay" strength, as you say, is because the vast majority of storms tend to be on the weaker side. That's simple probability. Citing your remark about a likely cat four landfall in NC, a cursory survey of history suggests that outcome is highly improbable. To my knowledge, Hazel is the only cat four to strike NC in October. It's fine to dream up fanciful scenarios for these systems and get excited about them, i'm as guilty as the next guy, but cluttering up the thread with prognostications of doomsday and calls to prayer seems unnecessary. And hey, if your prediction comes to fruition and that zero-spot-whatever chance plays out -- I'll eat my words. I've done so before and have found it a wholesome diet. 

Actually its the only known Cat 4 in history to hit NC......this setup worries us a bit the OBX have taken a beating over the last week and even if it went exactly where the NHC has it going it would be really bad out there, if it did something more like the HWRF and put the OBX on the eastern side of the center the OBX will be trashed maybe worse than they have in many dozens of years.....

Archived