• Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting excrept from the 11am DISCO:

Should the threat to the U.S. increase, any further adjustments

of the forecast to the west would likely be accompanied by an

increase in the forecast forward speed,

Slow mover. yawn. 

Rain is likely the biggest impact. 

Question for the met's. Can we even get a warm core storm in these latitudes?

Looks like they are starting to acquiesce to the weight of the mean ...sans the last three cycles of the Euro.

Quick comment:  man, ...imagine if the Euro was right.  What an epic coup for that model if this thing just abruptly did and about right and bee-lined to the graveyard like that. It's so dead panned that it's almost a comedy act in that model ... yet, I guess it can't be disposed entirely; there is certainly no 100% in this game. Only relative degrees of likeliness'   :wacko2:

So they're are hooking more now... I guess at the end of the day, mankind's hands are cuffed.  If anyone has the ballz to go outside the box of the modeling mean and represent some sort of special insight, than more power to him/her.  But having two hookers bang the MA in as little as 2 or 3 years is pretty fantastic considering Sandy was like ...the first time I think it was espoused, that ever happened.  Now twice?   

Nature does this from time to time,  though...  The never-cans happen just to distill the arrogance of what science knows. 

Interesting excrept from the 11am DISCO:

Should the threat to the U.S. increase, any further adjustments

of the forecast to the west would likely be accompanied by an

increase in the forecast forward speed,

The meteorology for that has to do with interacting with that "cut-off" 

if it gets linked into that, the circulation becomes the steering field, and it's sort of analogous to watching a piece of kitchen sink spoog accelerate when it enters the vortex at the drain. 

One thing I was thinking about and it's probably got nothing to do with anything. But I've long been fascinated with 1938 cane. One thing that they always talk about in reading on it is all the rain that fell in the days leading up to it. It may have been a similar situation like we have today with stalled front or it could have been a PRE.. But just thought it was something that could potentially parallel this , should Joaquin come north

By the way ... I've heard some clatter on here about J. being compactor and not nearly as much of a concern because of that, outside her/his (did we decide a gender here?) immediate envelope.

I have issues with that presumption...  

Firstly, the climatology of systems gaining latitude is that they expand their wind field.  They do this because the ambient slp is higher at this latitude, so the wind field has to expand - sans a scenario where the slp is anomalously low.  Perhaps.  

But also, J. ...not too dissimilar to Sandy for this one factor alone ... has a big high situated N of Maine and moving E.  As very low pressure pushes N it will instantiate a PGF that (similar to the first point) will cause a very robust and broad LLJ.  

If J. curls strongly W and smashes into the outerbanks and Va like that, the compact argument gets a nod...but even then, some expansion is likely up the coast ...perahaps as far as NYC.  And you only need 45 mph guess (or so) to impose a problem for infrastructure -- particularly after an extended period of quiescence hasn't "rattled" things to clean house.  

I mean...gosh, there's a lot of moving part about this. I wouldn't be asserting anything if I was you... Also, if J. somehow avoids the purer capture scenario and comes in higher up the MA, SNE WILL GET BLASTED by some sort of wind response in that scenario.  

Yes...it led the way on that for several runs in the medium range. Doesn't mean it's right now though.

But there's still a lot of uncertainty.

Yup, got that.  Thanks.. In meterology like stock markets, past isnt prologue, although we use past results as precedent often, mostly with patten analysis and anolgues.  But with model success, not sure how successful that is other than in recognizing and utilizing past exhibited biases..

By the way ... I've heard some clatter on here about J. being compactor and not nearly as much of a concern because of that, outside her/his (did we decide a gender here?) immediate envelope.

I have issues with that presumption...  

Firstly, the climatology of systems gaining latitude is that they expand their wind field.  They do this because the ambient slp is higher at this latitude, so the wind field has to expand - sans a scenario where the slp is anomalously low.  Perhaps.  

But also, J. ...not too dissimilar to Sandy for this one factor alone ... has a big high situated N of Maine and moving E.  As very low pressure pushes N it will instantiate a PGF that (similar to the first point) will cause a very robust and broad LLJ.  

If J. curls strongly W and smashes into the outerbanks and Va like that, the compact argument gets a nod...but even then, some expansion is likely up the coast ...perahaps as far as NYC.  And you only need 45 mph guess (or so) to impose a problem for infrastructure -- particularly after an extended period of quiescence hasn't "rattled" things to clean house.  

I mean...gosh, there's a lot of moving part about this. I would be asserting anything if I was you... Also, if J. somehow avoids the purer capture scenario and comes in higher up the MA, SNE WILL GET BLASTED by some sort of wind response in that scenario.  

Furthermore, the LLJ is already strong thanks to the negatively tilted trough coming up the coast. I am not sure how much of this would mix down but it's quite windy just above the surface.

gfs_mslp_uv850_neus_21.png

One thing I was thinking about and it's probably got nothing to do with anything. But I've long been fascinated with 1938 cane. One thing that they always talk about in reading on it is all the rain that fell in the days leading up to it. It may have been a similar situation like we have today with stalled front or it could have been a PRE.. But just thought it was something that could potentially parallel this , should Joaquin come north

There was no doubt some sort of decaying frontal boundary that extend N-S through the region of SNE, as the re-analysis features a trough along the Apps and a -NAO west based block imposing resistance E-N of the easter seaboard.  Said front arrived with the trough, and since the trough stalled, the front sort of aligned parallel to the coast and rained out over a few days.

But all that happened well prior to 1938 even passing PR.   The trouble was, those antecedent synoptics didn't really break down as the storm approached the "suck up" zone... Once the TC detected the S to N flow east of said trough, and was blocked by the lingering west-based -NAO, it had no physical alternative but to shoot N through a slit steering corridor like a Noanamá Chocó tribesman on a blow gun hunt.  

Point is, ...the rains prior to 1938 were not really "PRE" at that time.   

Aside, it's hard to assess a PRE when a system is hauling azz like that.  You're going to get a western "bulge" in front and over-lapping WAA vomit and so forth, much more obvious by a system like David (1980?). 

Archived