• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ghosts, Ghouls, Pumpkins, Autumn Chill?: October 2015 DISCUSSION/OBS

UnionWeatherWx

It used to happen a few times per decade. I think 2004 had the best shot. The longer we go without cracking zero the less chances we have of ever cracking it again IMO.

I believe you probably meant to utilize the phrase "in our lifetimes", because "ever again" implicates that the cooling cycles induced by variation in planetary motions will be staved off by anthropogenic forcing, which is largely unsupported even in the more extreme scenarios.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Freeze watch for tonight was cancelled here, still on for tmrw night. Red flag warning for today as well...hopefully too early in the season for any of the people who think its a great idea to burn their leaves.

Nope, people always burn crap like that. I swear sometimes It smells like they're burning pallets, or sticks from a tree in their backward lol.

I feel like saying throw some Hickory or at least some clean Applewood in there.

I believe you probably meant to utilize the phrase "in our lifetimes", because "ever again" implicates that the cooling cycles induced by variation in planetary motions will be staved off by anthropogenic forcing, which is largely unsupported even in the more extreme scenarios.

Well yes, I don't mean forever. Eventually the Earth will heal itself after humanity goes away.

Milakovitch cycles are in the declining phase temp wise so we should be slowly heading back toward the freezer, but obviously the exact opposite of a slow decline is occurring.

the temperature got as low as - 8 three times in recorded weather history in NYC...I don't believe the earth has warmed 8 degrees since 1917...under circumstances like 1917, 1934 and 1943 NYC could get below zero...I know this is OT but does global warming  cause the jet stream to stay further north than before or is it the same but the air masses aren't as cold?...I think another reason why NYC hasn't seen below zero readings lately is the amount of development in the suburbs...The air modifies quicker moving over cement, tar and heated buildings...

Down to 40F, guessing I'll probably get down to 35F by morning.

I got down to 36 earlier, but in the last couple hours the temp has actually gone back up to 40. Looks as if we'll avoid the freeze tonight. Can we do it again tomorrow night? Would love for my vegetable garden to survive this, since it's still producing. 

I got down to 36 earlier, but in the last couple hours the temp has actually gone back up to 40. Looks as if we'll avoid the freeze tonight. Can we do it again tomorrow night? Would love for my vegetable garden to survive this, since it's still producing.

I think it's very likely we drop below freezing Sunday night as the high crests near us with clear skies and light winds.

Even urban locations could get close to freezing.

Archived