Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Autumn BANTER

dmillz25

Photo album of the major flooding in the Austin area today:

http://www.statesman.com/gallery/weather/heavy-rains-hit-central-texas-103015/gCXpF/#8330631

The airport is still closed-it's estimated that 14" of rain fell there. (Edit: Officially 14.53" at AUS today, 22" for the month counting last week's rain. A week ago there was zero rain for the month!!! And we're not done-more is expected overnight with the incoming trough)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AUS has an event total of 16.27" after more storms overnight. For the month, they're up to almost TWO FEET (23.82"), their wettest month on record. This rain entirely fell between this past rain event and the one last weekend related to Patricia. I think this now makes 2015 the wettest year on record at the airport. 

My backyard ended up with 9.77" and a monthly total of 16.3". 

AUS has an event total of 16.27" after more storms overnight. For the month, they're up to almost TWO FEET (23.82"), their wettest month on record. This rain entirely fell between this past rain event and the one last weekend related to Patricia. I think this now makes 2015 the wettest year on record at the airport.

If your monthly total had reached 17" I'd be impressed...I can't back that up, that's some month down there, wow.

Texas will probably get the award for most dramatic swings between drought and flash flood this year.

Just click on the start of year animation and turn up the speed.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/MapsAndData/Animations/DynamicAnimations.aspx

If your monthly total had reached 17" I'd be impressed...I can't back that up, that's some month down there, wow.

I use this site for rain totals. It's run by the Lower Colorado River Authority, so it's not a bunch of weenies posting totals.

http://kxan.com/weather/austin-area-rainfall-totals/

The closest one to me is 9.77" for the event and it had 6.55" from last weekend-it's around the corner from where I live. 

I use this site for rain totals. It's run by the Lower Colorado River Authority, so it's not a bunch of weenies posting totals.

http://kxan.com/weather/austin-area-rainfall-totals/

The closest one to me is 9.77" for the event and it had 6.55" from last weekend-it's around the corner from where I live.

Good call on using that site. I believe the heavier the rainfall the more the weenie totals get out of control on the higher side as the weenie weather stations lose accuracy.

While rainfall was close to normal the past two months, have only had measurable rain on 18 days since Aug 1st, so a lot of nice days in between the rain events.

From a weather enthusiasts point of view, the last six months have been nothing short of atrocious. The only somewhat exciting time was when it looked like Joaquin might impact the area, and we all know how that ended up.

While rainfall was close to normal the past two months, have only had measurable rain on 18 days since Aug 1st, so a lot of nice days in between the rain events.

A whole lot of blocking overhead from May through September kept us on the dry side.

Things were better in October as the block shifted west.

Flowering deserts are pretty cool.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/watch-chiles-atacama-desert-bloom-with-color-in-rare-event_56323edfe4b0c66bae5b4ba2?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

The intensity of the blooms this year has no precedent, the fact that it has happened twice in a same year has never been recorded in the country's history," he added. 

Flowering deserts are pretty cool.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/watch-chiles-atacama-desert-bloom-with-color-in-rare-event_56323edfe4b0c66bae5b4ba2?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

The intensity of the blooms this year has no precedent, the fact that it has happened twice in a same year has never been recorded in the country's history," he added.

That's cool

We're probably about a month or so away from our first real shot at significant snow for the area. I consider the real snow season here to be from about December 20th to February 20th, or about a 60 day period. Essentially from Christmas week to Presidents Day. Obviously it can snow before then and after then, but it becomes harder and harder, especially late in the season with the increasing sun angle and the first signs of a transition towards Spring. 

I bring this up because even though it's November 3rd, I've already heard several radio commercials talking about Christmas, and it reminded me that we really are only a few weeks away from the start of the holiday season, even though it seems like Labor Day was only yesterday. Before you know it the snow season will be upon us, and then almost as quickly, the prime of the season will be done and over with, and we start to turn the corner towards Spring.

We're probably about a month or so away from our first real shot at significant snow for the area. I consider the real snow season here to be from about December 20th to February 20th, or about a 60 day period. Essentially from Christmas week to Presidents Day. Obviously it can snow before then and after then, but it becomes harder and harder, especially late in the season with the increasing sun angle and the first signs of a transition towards Spring. 

I bring this up because even though it's November 3rd, I've already heard several radio commercials talking about Christmas, and it reminded me that we really are only a few weeks away from the start of the holiday season, even though it seems like Labor Day was only yesterday. Before you know it the snow season will be upon us, and then almost as quickly, the prime of the season will be done and over with, and we start to turn the corner towards Spring.

Judging from your avatar Spring and Summer will probably be the rule for your furure.

Just wanted to post a little something about the passing of my dad today, just shy of his 101st birthday. My dad helped me with my love of weather when I was young by buying me the equipment I wanted. I remember him cutting out an ad in the back of popular mechanics for an anemometer which I got for Christmas probably 40 years ago. My dad would help me install things by going on the roof. He loved to do woodworking and he built be several stands for my rain gages and a very professional temperature shelter that I still use today. Thanks for everything dad...love you.

Just wanted to post a little something about the passing of my dad today, just shy of his 101st birthday. My dad helped me with my love of weather when I was young by buying me the equipment I wanted. I remember him cutting out an ad in the back of popular mechanics for an anemometer which I got for Christmas probably 40 years ago. My dad would help me install things by going on the roof. He loved to do woodworking and he built be several stands for my rain gages and a very professional temperature shelter that I still use today. Thanks for everything dad...love you.

My condolences doncat. He lived a long life. Prayers for your family and you

Sorry to hear. Glad you have great memories with him though.

Sorry to here about your Dad's passing. 100 is one hell of a run.

Archived